• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suicide attempt

Micky

Micky

Hi All;

Well a couple days ago in the morning I took a overdose

I took one after another.... Once doing it I felt like I was going to faint or throw everything up....not long after I took them mum came rushing in my room wondering where I was and she called a ambulance straight away. I was rushed into the high dependency ward and stayed there over night.

IT WAS HORRIBLE! ALL I REMEMBER WAS LIGHTS FLASHING IN MY FACE AND BEING ASKED THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN... I HAD TO USE A CATHEDA FOR MY URINE TO PASS AS IT WOULDN'T PASS ALONE... MY TONGUE TURNED INTO A VEGETABLE AND I COULDN'T TALK OR EAT FOR 3 DAYS AFTER TAKING MY OVERDOSE:cry:

I WAS CRITICAL ALL NIGHT.... MY FAMILY WENT CRAZY WONDERING IF I WOULD SURVIVE IT.

And here I am today still alive... it was the worst experience I have ever had and would never take a overdose like i did ever again.. it taught me a lesson thats for sure...

Anyone else got stories on suicide attempts??

:hug:

Last edited by a moderator:
trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi Micky, so sorry to hear you felt so bad. I hope you are feeling a bit better now. :hug:

J

just.me

When i took an overdose i threw them up straight away, one after the other, then fell asleep in my vomit.

2 years ago that was.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

*Sapphire*

Moderator note

Hi

Just a note on this thread in my role as a moderator. Although we encourage members to discuss their mental health issues we can not allow particulars of suicide attempts to be displayed on the forum.

If you have taken an overdose it is okay to say overdose but not to name the particlar medication you have used. If we can all bare that in mind whilst posting on this thread.

Best regards
Sapphire :)

Micky

Micky

Oops

Sorry about that, will do in the future.

:hug:

W

whatstheproblem?

Hi micky, I'm so so sorry for what you've just been through... No one should ever have to go through that. I don't understand why it isn't easier to die. I've overdosed a few times, all of which were absolutely horrendous and
the last time left my family thinking I had rendered myself braindamaged for a week or so afterwards. I am however glad that it didn't work, for me or for you... Some days I feel like I need to do it again, I can't see any otherway... I feel like my being here is making life bad for everyone around me and all I can think is that it would be so much easier to end it. But then I think about the other times I tried and failed and know I can't do that again. I live in York and last week a man 'jumped' off one of the tallest buildings in the city, after being up there for 26 hours with police trying to get him down. He was holding onto scaffolding, lent backwards And just let go. And while everyone else was horrified I was sat thinking, lucky guy. Actually felt admiration for him. I hate myself for saying/thinking that, but it's true.

S

Sparky

And here I am today still alive... it was the worst experience I have ever had and would never take a overdose like i did ever again.. it taught me a lesson thats for sure...
That was so good to read, Micky. :hug:

And whatstheproblem? I can relate to so much of what you've written. But reading: "I am however glad that it didn't work, for me or for you..." was also good to read, and gave me a little hope for myself.

T

tiggythecat

My attempt

I have overdosed a number of times. All failed of course (!). The first time was a real attempt on my life, I believe. I had no idea I had depression - I was never diagnosed. I just thought it was me, and I would feel hopeless forever. When you really believe that, it seems to make sense to want to die. I now feel that I was ill (psychologically or biologically, whichever) and the reasoning behind the decision to want to die was a symptom. I suppose I have finally internalised this well enough that I do not pose a threat to myself anymore.

The memory of the experience is really depressing. When I think about what I was thinking at the time, it makes me incredibly sad and depressed. I am not sure that its very easy to come to terms with the fact that you have attempted to take your own life. It was nearly ten years ago, I was 18 at the time. I don't tell most people of my history because I feel like they will judge me badly. I think that the fact that I can't tell people/friends about a big chunk of my life (the depression took 5 years to get over) makes me feel lonely sometimes. Does anyone else feel like that? Its one of the worst leftovers from the depression for me. Everyone is different, but one of the worst things for me is hiding quite a lot of who I am because I am scared how others will react. And yet, I am not content with hiding it either - I feel inferior having to do that. I hope this makes sense to someone, and not like I am just rambling!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Makes sense to me - I don;t talk to anyone really about my depression only the profs - its so hard to I think.

Take it easy
KS

J

just.me

I'd love to be able to talk about it to anyone face to face.

Even by email or phone would be cool, but you know what unless they been there they never understand they scared of it.

My Ma totally ignored a heartfelt email I sent to her this morning, totally blanked it, told her I was in the depths of despair, my life was shite, was going to be homeless.

IGNORED IT.

Not had any contact for two furking years.

What a bitch, remember now better off without them.

E

Ed19

Sorry to hear about your mums reaction just.me. I think parents can find it very hard when their child does it. I know mine did. I m sure alot of people on here would be more than happy to help you. Me included.

Ed

J

just.me

Thing is she had a breakdown herself when she was 37, they used to collect her and take her for electric shock therapy. Then she had a spell in the mental hospital for a few weeks too, I was 14 at the time.

Mind you if you were a mother of a 14 year old girl and you had had an affair with her first boyfriend, and was having relations with him whilst that 14 year old was in the room next door, guess any mother would be likely to have one, after finding out the 16 year old boy wanted your daughter back.

No wonder I got emotional issues!