• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Suicide attempt = depressed?

• Thread starter TheElderBerries
  • Start date
T

TheElderBerries

in april this year i attempted to kill myself. i was in a pretty bad place but nowadays i feel a bit better. i try not to think about my feelings that much, and it works. but i feel it's time to actually do something about my feelings, and the first step to that is knowing what i have. does having attempted suicide equal to depression? i know i don't have anxiety, and i might have ptsd

V

ViR

It’s a temporary issue that has permanent results. You need to get some meds and therapy it will help so much make sure you find a good therapist because there are so many bad ones. They have to be extremely compassionate to your feelings and not just listen but come up with answers that fit your issues you’ll be able to tell if it sounds like your capable of it and suggest medications that may help your depression. I for one wouldn’t be writing this if I wasn’t put on the right medications and good therapy. Suicide is not the answer it’s usually is just a chemical imbalance. You joining this forum is your first step to a better life.❤🙏🏻😉

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

in april this year i attempted to kill myself. i was in a pretty bad place but nowadays i feel a bit better. i try not to think about my feelings that much, and it works. but i feel it's time to actually do something about my feelings, and the first step to that is knowing what i have. does having attempted suicide equal to depression? i know i don't have anxiety, and i might have ptsd
I think only a trained Psychiatrist can answer your question, all we can do is speculate. I suppose there could be reasons where a non-depressed person took their own lives, for example if painful death was imminent and couldn't be avoided. My father was an American pilot during the Korean war and they were issued a weapon and were told if they were shot down they had the option of using it on themselves. At the time the North Korean soldiers tortured shot down enemy airmen as a matter of routine, it was better off not to be taken prisoner.

With that said, everyone I know who took their own life suffered from some degree of mental illness and usually it was clinical depression. One guy took his own life because he had lifelong substance abuse (alcohol and drugs) and felt despair over that, but everyone else pretty much had depression.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
K Getting threatened with suicide attempt by ex-girlfriend , post trauma. Depression Forum 3
E One year since suicide attempt and life worse than ever Depression Forum 12
P Feeling disconnected and alone after my suicide attempt Depression Forum 6
O After a suicide attempt Depression Forum 6
A Trying to rebuild my life after suicide attempt Depression Forum 6
V Suicide attempt Depression Forum 5
moyet question about anniversary of depression & suicide attempt *trigger* Depression Forum 1
D Suicide attempt. Depression Forum 11
W People recovering from a failed suicide attempt Depression Forum 22
B About anger and suicide attempt - just need to vent Depression Forum 1
Tawny Male suicide 76%! Depression Forum 199
FallingLeaves Family feelings on suicide Depression Forum 11
K Suicide thoughts Depression Forum 4
N Crisis tw: suicide, drugs Depression Forum 3
letmein TRIGGER --------------------------- suicide by food Depression Forum 6
M 11 years of depression improperly treated by incompetents. 3 suicide attempts. PLEASE HELP!!! Depression Forum 8
K Suicide TRIGGER WARNING Depression Forum 9
U Have you ever called a suicide helpline? How did it go? Depression Forum 8
S I enjoy thinking about suicide Depression Forum 7
apple2003 idk what to label this as but tw for suicide and self harm Depression Forum 5
L Suicide Depression Forum 6
Tawny SUICIDE - SAMARITANS - Eastenders Depression Forum 6
M Suicide is not a selfish, easy way out act! Depression Forum 3
P Rational suicide Depression Forum 4
M Suicide due to past mistake/regret Depression Forum 1
K How to help someone who has tried to commit suicide (two times) Depression Forum 6
B I really can't take it anymore trigger warning suicide. Depression Forum 28
R Serious considerations about suicide Depression Forum 21
R Obsessive thinking of people who have died by suicide Depression Forum 11
S World suicide prevention day Depression Forum 3
C Overwhelming feelings of loneliness and depression, considering suicide Depression Forum 10
D Depressed because of social anxiety, thinking about suicide to escape the feelings Depression Forum 8
S Encouragement To The Ones Dealing With Depression and Thoughts Of Suicide Depression Forum 10
G 7 months on from my attempted suicide. I’m afraid employers won’t hire me again. Depression Forum 23
H Suicide, thoughts and help Depression Forum 8
T Thinking about suicide Depression Forum 3
S Is suicide ever the answer? Depression Forum 6
N College found out I want to commit suicide Depression Forum 5
A but why is suicide so wrong Depression Forum 29
X Feeling sexually repressed and like I want to commit suicide. Depression Forum 1
C Petrified my boyfriend will commit suicide Depression Forum 6
Emmy Everyday, I consider suicide Depression Forum 7
T Suicide will give me the freedom I need! Depression Forum 18
I I Drove Someone To Suicide/Extreme Guilt Of A Murderer Depression Forum 25
B Is suicide always have concrete reason? Depression Forum 9
R Came close to suicide, what next? Depression Forum 5
wolram Is it a sin to commit suicide Depression Forum 27
Fairy Lucretia life lies a slow suicide Depression Forum 1
ghost_girl80 suicide prevention chat line Depression Forum 9
S Need some advice on dealing with grief by suicide Depression Forum 11