• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suicide and Mental Health

SarahD

SarahD

Suicide is no longer a crime.

However if the suicidal feelings are directly caused by a mental illness you will be treated and prevented from killing yourself.

But what if you have suffered a long time, and decide you don't want to go through it anymore?

Dignitas, who provide assisted suicide in Switzerland, state in their brochure that many mentally ill people have mental capacity and should be able to make the decision to end their lives if they have had prolonged suffering and are unable to be helped by treatment. I think with them however it is much harder to get the necessary approvals if you have a mental health condition.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I applied to Dignitas years ago and got turned down due to a court case that was going on at the time regarding them being allowed to kill mentally ill people

SarahD

SarahD

So desperate I might try to apply to them.

It would make it easier.

I am fucking useless at doing it myself. Keep trying.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe keep trying at living instead. If you think about it, the same determination could be applied...

I am sorry you feel so desperate though:hug:

I don't think Dignitas will help. I don't think they are allowed to.

C

Christobel

I know how you feel Sarah. A while ago I said to my psychiatrist that I wanted to go to Switzerland to end it all, and she just smiled. I suppose she knew it was all pie in the sky, and the illness talking.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I'm not sure, but I do think they are much stricter now.
And I think that their idea of mental illness might mean things like dementia rather than other illnesses.. as I said, i'm not entirely sure.

It's crap that you're feeling like this and that the suffering seems to be endless for you.
I wish I could say something to make you feel better, but just want you to know i'm here if you need a vent or a chat. :hug1:

SarahD

SarahD

I did contact Dignitas and have heard back from them. They do help people who are mentally ill, it seems they won the legal battle. However it is much harder to get accepted if your reason for suicide is mental health. They suggest I send them what information and reports I have now so they can see if I would be wasting my time going ahead.

Can't see how I can do this. Asked GP for simple note (not about suicide) just to show diagnosis and that I have been suffering a long time. (He had that glazed look that I recognised before he asked me what the "name of my psychiatrist was again?" But he said he would do it. ) I have quite a lot of copies of stuff from mental health. Don't think it would convince them it was worth me going ahead. If you go ahead you have to have an interview between one and three hours with psych here to establish whether decision is rational or part of the illness, and whether you have mental capacity. Can't see my psych doing it. Go private round here is up to £300 an hour for psychiatrist, and they wouldn't know you or history; apart from interview, getting copies of records, and paying for their time to go through it all and write report.

Then if you go ahead Dignitas' fees are high, you see two doctors over there plus more fees and more fees and more fees. (Supposed to be non profit organisation.) They do help some people without money. Don't have money, have stuff I can sell.

Well it is for a backup plan, a fail safe. Don't know if/how to manage it.

Probably back to having to do it myself. Must manage it eventually.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The problem is once the psych here finds out you've applied there you will probably get sectioned again.

That was my worry when I applied.

I only applied for DLA back then cos I knew it would cost to get over there. But was worried I might not be allowed to leave the UK if for instance psychiatrists over here found out where I was going and why.

nonotme

nonotme

I applied to Dignitas years ago and got turned down due to a court case that was going on at the time regarding them being allowed to kill mentally ill people
hi, can i ask you, would you like to share the story? I'd be interested in hearing it.

this is a very hard one, I know when I'm low I don't have the mental capacity to make that choice, I just want an end to the feelings.

nonotme

nonotme

I couldn't even afford to kill myself. I have to go on living.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
hi, can i ask you, would you like to share the story? I'd be interested in hearing it.
Not much of a story, I applied, at the time there was a legal case going on about whether they would be allowed to kill mentally ill people, so they said they couldn't do anything to help.

this is a very hard one, I know when I'm low I don't have the mental capacity to make that choice, I just want an end to the feelings.
I wasn't wanting to kill myself because of the feelings, I wanted to go there and die because that would be preferable than being under the MH team and taking toxic medications that made me feel worse, and being unable to manage my self care, being forced into a residential care home etc

I stand by that, and if I ever found myself in that situation again with no possibility of getting out of it, I would re-apply or find another way to do it.

As things currently stand however, I will stay alive no matter how depressed I am, just to piss other people off - like the Tories, DM readers etc.

D

Dottyone

I wonder what the figures are on how many people they actual euthanise from the UK with Mental Health Issues and would they really go through with it or agree to proceed.

It makes me wonder if they are just collecting application forms to boost their figures so they can boost the acceptablility of Euthanasia and then their Business Profit :mad:

Their are always people out to make money out of the Vulnerable, it makes me want to vomit.

I totally sympafize with posters on this thread :hug:

SarahD

SarahD

I don't want to encourage anyone to kill themselves. One thing I in Dignitas' information to the psychiatrist is an emphasis that when someone has that arrangement to fall back on they are less likely to make attempts themselves.

How to decide if it part of the illness or a rational decision? I don't know, I think if you have times when you still feel any hope try to,carry on. If you think it is part of the illness, try to endure it and hope to get better.

But how can I advise that when I don't see anything but despair? If I say to others not to do it, it sounds like I think I am the only one feeling like this. I know that is not true. I just don't want to encourage anyone else to do it.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There have been people with BPD who've made advance directives and then gone to A&E following an attempt and A&E have let them die as they don't want to be sued.

They are probably glad they are getting rid of one more "timewaster".

Fuck'em, I say. Fuck 'em and live.

HAHAHA I am a borderline and I live, Doctor, I LIVE!!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!:evil:

SarahD

SarahD

This is what they wrote to me. They also attached various documents about all the information needed if I did decide to proceed.

"As you will see from the information attached, it is basically possible to provide an accompanied suicide for mentally ill people under Swiss law. However, this is a lengthy and complex proceeding with many obstacles and there is no guarantee to receive the "provisional green light" for an accompanied suicide.

Whether your situation will meet the prerequisites for an accompanied suicide with DIGNITAS depends very much on the quality of the medical file, the reports you can provide. We need medical certificates with clear diagnosis of your illness, a description of its cause and development, proof of all therapies you have tried (with or without success) as well as an in-depth psychiatric appraisal concerning your capacity of judgement and discernment in regard of your wish for a self-determined end of life (for more details please refer to the attachment). Without such a detailed medical dossier, we won't find a Swiss physician who will risk to write the prescription for the lethal medication in your case, unfortunately.

In the light of all the obstacles, before you even start working on all the necessary paperwork, please send us the medical reports which you have available now. This would allow us to get a first impression of your case, and to establish whether your request might have a chance."

I may send the preliminary info so they can take a look, but I doubt somehow they will think me likely to be approved.