• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suicidal Thoughts

mami5

mami5

I recently had an assessment by CMHT where I told the CPN that I had suicidal thoughts. His response was to ask what my triggers were. When I said that I didn't have any, he insisted that everyone who has suicidal thoughts gets triggered first. Is he right? Are you triggered before getting suicidal thoughts or do they just come anyway as they do for me? I am very interested to know if CPN is correct or not. Thank you.

Mister.B

Mister.B

I would argue that there has to be something that happens for you to feel suicidal, yes.

But that being said, I'm not au fait with how *everyone's* mind works, so there could be cases where there are no triggers.

Maybe you get triggered by small stuff that you don't notice?

This wasn't very helpful. :( Sorry.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi mami5, it can be a whole host of things, from my experience the emotional content and the severity of my situation has led me in thinking this way. I feel it must have a trigger though, a catalyst. I hope this helps x

Parissa

Parissa

:hug1:

Suicidal thoughts are the worst thing in the world. I read some of your journal. Such sadness. Triggers, unconscious or conscious or just part of depression. But depression brings the negative thoughts that trigger the suicidal thoughts. Depression can be triggered by things that might make us suicidal. It's so complex. The cpn cannot simply say that. It's more complicated than that.

Love Parissa

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

Don't agree with the CPN. I can hit a sudden low for no reason but not feel suicidal. Then, out of nowhere I will feel the need to say I want to ********** (specifics avoided) but again without an apparent trigger or without feeling especially low. I know that sounds odd.

To be honest though, any such thoughts in my case are very fleeting and certainly not linked to any real intention to carry anything out. Blimey does that make sense to anyone reading!!

EDIT plus, I've now read Mr. B's post and can see his side of the coin too. Complicated isn't it

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
i think they can be triggered by anything, such as bad things happening or seeing something or being somewhere where you know you can kill yourself or thinking about how pointless life is etc etc. when you have constant suicidal thoughts it is hard to work out the triggers if there are any as they could be such tiny things you see, hear or thing about.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Idk, this is very complicated. I go depressed for whatever reason , or for no reason, then automatically get suicidal thoughts. But I also can get them when I okish cos they whisper to me even then saying 'do it now' so that i dont have to suffer the pain of depression again because it is an endless cycle. So to answer the question I dont think there are necessarily triggers or maybe there are and i dont know what they are always. Think what Helena1 says is very true. Think that for everyone can be different. But for me there was an event years ago which is why i like i am now so that is the original trigger for my depression

D

DavidC

I believe triggers exist but its not as simple as say.... my girlfriend left me..

That could mean say... I suffer from depression and borderline personality disorder and my girlfriend left me. Depression causing the thoughts of I've just had enough with life, borderline causing thoughts of self harm, the girlfriend left me I can't live without her, medications that have a side effect of suicidal thoughts. So which is the trigger?

I have struggled with suicidal thoughts on and off for over 15 years, I attempted on a few occasions when I was a teenager with self harming, overdosing. I've gotten to the stage were I have the reasons I need to live, its easier for me to suffer than have my entire family and friends live with the fact I committed suicide. I have two kids and never want them to think my dad committed suicide the b****** didn't love use enough to stay with us.

In Ireland their is a service called Pieta House, its a free suicide prevention service. They give you 15 free therapy sessions. Anyone in Ireland suffering with suicidal thoughts should avail of the service. I'm not advertising them hope it doesn't come across that way, anyway they are not a business they are a charity

Last edited by a moderator:
SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

First of all, i'm really sorry you've having suicidal thoughts. :hug1:

Right, well, I don't know how your CPN can say that really.
Sometimes yes, there are obvious triggers.
Other times the triggers may be very subtle, and the whole process unconscious, where you're feeling suicidal but you can't quite recall what set you off (but something did).
But, thinking of the times when i've been really really low, I would wake up and immediately want to die.. before i'd got out of bed.
Sometimes it's "just" the illness.

Really, I understand that it's easier if there is an obvious reason for feeling suicidal because then it is relatively simple to try and find a solution.
But people aren't that straightforward. Life is more complex.

mami5

mami5

Thank you all for your replies. :grouphug: I agree that this is a very complicated topic. Guess there's no right or wrong answer.