• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Suicidal Thoughts ; Why?

sunset547544

sunset547544

I suffer with them all day, every day. It would be so easy to go ahead and do it, but I never have after all these years, and probably never will. So why am I thinking about it constantly? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Is there any kind of explanation be it evolutionary, social, logical etc? Is it all just self pity? Some kind of curse or parasite in my brain?

P

Princess Zelda

Hello. I think it's always important to talk about this. Is there anyone you're able to talk to? You can also share your thoughts here, because people on the forum will help. It has helped me before. I guess talking about it is good because it's a healthy way to deal with it. And don't be afraid to get help if you need it. For me, therapy helped a lot. Maybe it could help you. I am thinking about trying therapy again. I hope you stay safe and I hope you feel better soon. :hug1:

L

LosingMyStability

Look i can't give long term advice on preventing suicidal thoughts, but I have my own triggers and reasons that could apply to yourself if that helps? 1st of all there's thoughts of suicide when you're inconsolably sad and you just want to make the pain go away. These types are usually temporary and the pain just takes a few weeks to fade... Sometimes you feel like it's the easy alternative... That you've just dealt with so much and you're not ready to keep waking up and repeating the same life and/or you're trapped in a situation and feeling like it's either the only alternative, or it's the only one that you can cozy up to, because the other choices are to difficult for you to make a decision. There's a violent scale of absolutely despising yourself and the life that you live, usually feel like you want to cut the pain out of yourself. There's probably more, just different for everyone i guess. I think for people dealing with mental health, it's kind of the normal thing to do, to fantasise over different or exact ways of taking your own life. You're not alone and you're not weak. Being to scared to take your own life is human, you need to confide in somebody and if your nearest and dearest have no time or interest in listening to you, just crawl outside the box and ask an acquaintance for a chat.

DistantOcean

DistantOcean

Since depression is so prevalent in our world it would make sense for it to have an evolutionary benefit. There are studies which have shown mutations in the human genome which lead to depression can persist because they help to protect us against pathogens. This could be due to faulty iron storage, hypervigilance (heightened alertness) and social withdrawal. Another theory is that people who are depressed have an overactive immune system which kills causative agents of disease.

Yet another hypothesis is that depression stimulates creativity and thus ingenuity. Being anxious or sad can contribute to increased attention for detail. Secondly, people with depression tend to ponder and deliberate more consciously. Furthermore depression can be an impetus for change and improvement. You probably have stood on hot sand once in your life. Without pain you would just keep standing still and hurt yourself.

Then what is the tendency to commit suicide if not a side effect from depression, overthinking and being too conscious. It is though not always a dead end in evolution. For a long time, like in your and my case, the tendencies can be ignored long enough for the carrier of the 'suicide gene' to reproduce thereby maintaining its frequency in the population. I see it as a cruel twist of fate, which maybe was to be expected from a hyperintelligent, highly-sensitive, and self reflective species like ourselves.

Blooming

Blooming

My thoughts about this is that these suicidal thoughts are "talking to you". I see them as messages from you to you about that something is wrong in your life. If I were you I would have ordered an appointment with a psychologist. I am not saying that you are sick. I am not buying into the modern thought that all variations from what is seen as "normal" is a Mental illness. To have a person, especially educated in peoples emotions and thoughts to talk to, may help you sort out what you are missing, what opportunities there are for you in this world that you do not see now.

ReverieAnxiety

ReverieAnxiety

Hi Sunset!

I don't know why, I'm now just checking out all of your other threads. I was actually looking for your journal. I think everyone has suicidal thoughts from time to time, especially when life gets hard and we aren't able to cope. But just like the sun sets, the sun rises (accidental pun!).

P

Prycejosh1987

I suffer with them all day, every day. It would be so easy to go ahead and do it, but I never have after all these years, and probably never will. So why am I thinking about it constantly? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Is there any kind of explanation be it evolutionary, social, logical etc? Is it all just self pity? Some kind of curse or parasite in my brain?
I think you are just fed up with something, and believe that suicide is okay. The more you think about it the more it sounds silly. This will not stop you from wanting to commit suicide but what it will do is cause depression, which can then lead to suicide. You need to address the issues that make you feel suicidal.