• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suicidal thoughts *possible trigger warning

Caitjinoy

Caitjinoy

I've had suicidal thoughts for a while but it's always been very mild. More of like "ah life is stressful it would be nice to just stop existing" but recently, as in the past few days, I've thought more about ways I could actually do it. It scares me.
I mean it's probably a good sign that those thoughts scare me but what if one day I suddenly got bold and REALLY hurt myself? Would I actually do it? Would I even try?
I am religious and I believe I have a greater purpose and there is a life after this one so I've never thought I would feel this way

Last edited:
chazxxx

chazxxx

Sounds a little like me lately actually. Sort of been ambivalent to living for most of my life. Then occasionally it changes to a more prominent thought which occupies my mind more regularly and more of a desire i suppose.
But im not sure how much i can really say to help you. Because only you can say how much of a risk you think you are to acting on these thoughts. If you genuinely are worried for your own safety i would seek some help.
Personally i have come to realise that it is unlikely i would act on my thoughts unless i acted implusively while in a state of distress. So i have decided to try as hard as i can to not even entertain these suicidal thoughts. Though i appreciate its easier said that done. But if your worried about implusivity perhaps prepare yourself by having a helpline number to hand and/or removing anything that you might use to do this?

SarahD

SarahD

That is good advice from chazxxx.

I have read advice somewhere that if you have those feelings it is a good idea to make a safety plan, where first of all you list all the people who may be able to help when you feel like that. This could be family members, friends, your cpn or care coordinator, doctor, therapist, psychiatrist, even priest if you belong to a Church. List their contact details. Next list helplines you have found useful, maybe this forum. Remember you can call emergency services or go to A and E in crisis. Then places you can go where you feel safe, some feel better in public places like a cafe or library, others in a park or garden. Is there any activity that can help you feel calm or distract you, things you can try. Etc.

I think it sounds like a good idea, but I haven't done it yet. When I am suicidal I can't really talk about it or ask for help.

katya

katya

I've had suicidal thoughts for a while but it's always been very mild. More of like "ah life is stressful it would be nice to just stop existing" but recently, as in the past few days, I've thought more about ways I could actually do it. It scares me.
I mean it's probably a good sign that those thoughts scare me but what if one day I suddenly got bold and REALLY hurt myself? Would I actually do it? Would I even try?
I am religious and I believe I have a greater purpose and there is a life after this one so I've never thought I would feel this way
I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. Please be really kind to yourself and ensure you're in a safe place.

L

Lancaster Sam

I'm sorry you feel like this :( I hope you're kind to yourself and make sure you're safe :)