• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

suicidal thoughts and plans at night

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I'm struggling with suicidal thoughts and plans at bedtime, really strong urges that turn into detailed plans. I'm not too bad generally in the day, I do sleep a lot to pass the time and it's a safe place to be but at night time I just lay awake thinking of plans.
Is this suicide idealation?
I'm worried that these thoughts will invade me in the day time too

T

Thoth

This is suicidal ideation. I think there is 5 stages you have the ideation, then the volition to carry out the act. But you never act on the volition at first, but you feel like you want to. This might be where you are at? Then there is the contemplation of the act. Soon you are preparing and there is the hesistancy, before the act is carried out.

Personally I'm usually between the volition and the contemplation.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Could you try something like reading before bed to distract you?

R

Rose19602

Hey,
I'm so sorry to hear that this is happening. I've been there too....it's horrible.

Do you feel like acting on this plan SparklyPP? Do you think there is any chance of that?

Sometimes it can spiral quickly....sometimes it just hangs around in your head.

We'll keep an eye on you if you like? You can PM anyone in the Forum Safety Team or me, if you feel like things are getting too much and you feel at risk. Equally 999, A&E, 111 and The Samaritans or your crisis team if you have one.

In the meantime, I think it's worth flagging up to someone. Do you have a GP you could talk to or a CPN?

We're here for you OK? Let us know what you decide to do.
x

nonotme

nonotme

I'm struggling with suicidal thoughts and plans at bedtime, really strong urges that turn into detailed plans.
I have now for a number of years "played" with thoughts esp before falling asleep, one thing you can realize is that they are only thoughts and you don't have to act on them, if I had I would have murdered no end of people by now.

Are you getting any form of psychotherapy at all? I find mine helps me focus and keep in check these odd thinking patterns I have.

Please get the right support for yourself and I'm sure these will ease with time.

Me.

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Thanks for the replies x
I'm not sure if I'm actually suicidal - in the past ive been suicidal the whole process spiralled quite quickly and I acted on it soon after, this is more just thoughts that turn into plans at night time. The plans are in the future - a couple of weeks, well thought out I guess so I can enjoy some family time first - memories to leave my children with x

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

I will try the advice that you've all given me though, reading before bed - might go to gp but never end up telling them how I really feel!
Not in psychotherapy atm, I did have a private one but I can't afford that anymore. I have requested grief counselling through my family support worker

C

cherbear

Sending you big hugs . I was like that for a couple of weeks then acted on it not trying to worry you but I'm concerned about you hunny . So please see someone while you are in the frame mind to do so and has already been said let those who you feel able to tell know how you are feeling . Even if you have to set up an evening routine like turning off the tv and laptop . Listen to some chilled out music while in the tub . Make some chamomile tea snuggle up in bed or on the sofa with a book then go to bed . It's the kind of thing I have been doing for the last couple of days and it's really helped , sleep improved too . Be safe my lovely . xxxx:hug5:

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm struggling with suicidal thoughts and plans at bedtime, really strong urges that turn into detailed plans. I'm not too bad generally in the day, I do sleep a lot to pass the time and it's a safe place to be but at night time I just lay awake thinking of plans.
Is this suicide idealation?
I'm worried that these thoughts will invade me in the day time too
Hey Hun.

I also struggle more in the night than doing the day. As soon as that sun goes down something in me changes and no, I'm not a Werewolf or Vampire lol.

Anyway, In all seriousness it might be because it's when you relax, after making the kids tea and them going to bed etc.

Take care x