• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

SUI (was: Results of the Mental Health Act)

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
As far as I know,all MH trusts are required to have an anti stigma policy, but I have not heard one voice in press, media, television or radio addess this
item.
It is very difficult to get our voices heard on this issue.

Actually I am involved in putting together an issue of the magazine Label Free (which is financed by my local MHT) on the issue of media coverage (of Mental Health issues) so I would be very interested in any experiences people have had in this area.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
It is very difficult to get our voices heard on this issue.

Actually I am involvedding in putting together an issue of the magazine Label Free (which is financed by my local MHT) on the issue of media coverage (of Mental Health issues) so I would be very interested in any experiences people have had in this area.
In my old area the matter was neutered by the trust by first of all cutting funding and then stopping staff from attending in trusts time. i dont know how, but i feel it should be run as an independant body not reliant on trust funding

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
In my old area the matter was neutered by the trust by first of all cutting funding and then stopping staff from attending in trusts time. i dont know how, but i feel it should be run as an independant body not reliant on trust funding
Yup I do agree about this ralph. Having said which, like you, I have no idea how. And would also say that where trusts do provide vehicles for Service User involvement it is worth getting involved and putting your point of view across.

Nick.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Yup I do agree about this ralph. Having said which, like you, I have no idea how. And would also say that where trusts do provide vehicles for Service User involvement it is worth getting involved and putting your point of view across.

Nick.
Hi nickh
your last comment is so right. In my old area the trust were supportive and and encouraging of user involvement, the result was a great service user team that the proffessionals listened to and involved them in all areas. Sadly where I live now the trust are indifferent and controling, as a result nobody knows who or where the user representatives operate from or what they do or achieve. There is absolutely no feedback

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi nickh
your last comment is so right. In my old area the trust were supportive and and encouraging of user involvement, the result was a great service user team that the proffessionals listened to and involved them in all areas. Sadly where I live now the trust are indifferent and controling, as a result nobody knows who or where the user representatives operate from or what they do or achieve. There is absolutely no feedback
Thanks Ralph - I am already learning here how different trusts are in terms of Service User involvement.

But I don't know if it would be acceptable for people to start naming (and shaming or praising) trusts of which they have experience? :confused:

I would suggest a permanent (stickied?) thread if this were possible. It would certainly be interesting to compare.

D

Dollit

I think that you have to be aware that two different people can see the same thing through different eyes. I have recently done a residents consultation on a shopping area and from neighbours we had people saying it was perfect and others saying it was disgusting. It's the same area but they see it differently. Naming and shaming is a dodgy area to get into - this is a litigious society and people have a right to protect their reputation. This extends to NHS trusts - we cannot be seen to condone campaigns against trusts on this forum and any posts that appear to campaign against trusts will be removed. Members of the forum are entitled to personal opinions but we cannot be seen tolerating behaviour which could reflect badly on this forum.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Naming and shaming is a dodgy area to get into - this is a litigious society and people have a right to protect their reputation. This extends to NHS trusts - we cannot be seen to condone campaigns against trusts on this forum and any posts that appear to campaign against trusts will be removed. Members of the forum are entitled to personal opinions but we cannot be seen tolerating behaviour which could reflect badly on this forum.
Fair enough Dollit - that's why I asked first.

Although I didn't just say name and shame - I suggested name and praise as a possible alternative :).

There is a problem that some people may not even be aware of the forums for Service User involvement which are available in their area. And these are not necessarily through trusts either; both Mind and councils, to give just two other examples, may run bodies which promote Service User involvement. In my own area there is even one which operates through the University! But I knew of none of these until the past year when I first started to get interested.

I guess though that all this would be more appropriate on the relevant local forum.

D

Dollit

To clarify - it you name and praise you are suggesting that the people you do not name and praise don't come up to scratch - this is just as bad as naming and shaming.

By all means promote Service User Involvement appropriately - you have set up a place to discuss SUI but don't deliberately use it as a launch point for something else.

If you do want to get more people involved in SUI then a good place to start would be answering the questions I asked on that thread! You can't assume that everyone knows what you do!

Ashami

Ashami

Founding Member
I haven't a clue what service user involvement is!

Also, I would like to know while the subject seems to be NHS, is this forum being run with NHS support?

I sortassumed that a group of people formed it of their own volition but would be very interested to know?

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
By all means promote Service User Involvement appropriately - you have set up a place to discuss SUI but don't deliberately use it as a launch point for something else.

If you do want to get more people involved in SUI then a good place to start would be answering the questions I asked on that thread! You can't assume that everyone knows what you do!
Dollit - I didn't set up that place; I wouldn't even have known how :). And so I can't really answer your questions there.

Nick

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I haven't a clue what service user involvement is!

Also, I would like to know while the subject seems to be NHS, is this forum being run with NHS support?

I sortassumed that a group of people formed it of their own volition but would be very interested to know?
Well the first I can try and answer (the second I have no idea about :)).

Service User Involvement is a buzz-concept and means - IN THEORY - that a body which provides public services involves the users of those services in decisions about the planning and delivery of those services. This is by no means restricted to our area of interest - could be any public service - libraries, refuse collection, planning decisions etc.etc.etc........

In a Mental Health Trust it might mean that a Trust would set up a group which would meet every so often, where any Service User (anyone who used the trust's services) could come along and express their views about those services. It might mean that the trust reserved positions on its governing body for Service Users. No doubt there are lots of other possibilities.

I have been informed (rather crossly and I only spoke out of ignorance!) that Service User involvement is different to volunteering which is where, for example, a trust might set up a body that tries to get people involved in various volunteer activity (eg: social events, promoting positive mental health, combating stigma). This is supposed to be good for the volunteer. Actually I am still not sure there is that big a difference.

I don't want to seem to be uncritically supporting Service User Involvement - although it is fine IN THEORY there seem to me to be lots and lots of problems with it in practise. And I am very new to it.

All I was saying was that if the opportunity for it exists in your area then it is, in my view, worth trying to participate. But I wouldn't say that was easy - the first time I went to a meeting I found it very intimidating and the experience left me shattered for a couple of days. I have spoken to other people in my support group (something else again :) - thats just where people with a similar condition get together and chat, just like this forum only ftof - who were so put off they have never been back. So I guess, here as everywhere, it is all down to the individual. If it helps great, if it dosen't leave well alone.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Well the first I can try and answer (the second I have no idea about :)).

Service User Involvement is a buzz-concept and means - IN THEORY - that a body which provides public services involves the users of those services in decisions about the planning and delivery of those services. This is by no means restricted to our area of interest - could be any public service - libraries, refuse collection, planning decisions etc.etc.etc........

In a Mental Health Trust it might mean that a Trust would set up a group which would meet every so often, where any Service User (anyone who used the trust's services) could come along and express their views about those services. It might mean that the trust reserved positions on its governing body for Service Users. No doubt there are lots of other possibilities.

I have been informed (rather crossly and I only spoke out of ignorance!) that Service User involvement is different to volunteering which is where, for example, a trust might set up a body that tries to get people involved in various volunteer activity (eg: social events, promoting positive mental health, combating stigma). This is supposed to be good for the volunteer. Actually I am still not sure there is that big a difference.

I don't want to seem to be uncritically supporting Service User Involvement - although it is fine IN THEORY there seem to me to be lots and lots of problems with it in practise. And I am very new to it.

All I was saying was that if the opportunity for it exists in your area then it is, in my view, worth trying to participate. But I wouldn't say that was easy - the first time I went to a meeting I found it very intimidating and the experience left me shattered for a couple of days. I have spoken to other people in my support group (something else again :) - thats just where people with a similar condition get together and chat, just like this forum only ftof - who were so put off they have never been back. So I guess, here as everywhere, it is all down to the individual. If it helps great, if it dosen't leave well alone.
Would it not be an idea to set up on this site a thread for sevice user involvement Not for it to be a SU group, but for different ideas and thoughts to discussed and considered?

Last edited:
D

Dollit

This forum was born out of the 1 in 4 forum (you can find a tab for this on the front page of the forum) and that in turn was born out of the Mental Health Foundation. There may be an explanation on a thread of how it all came about and if there is I'll find it for you and let you know.

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Would it not be an idea to set up on this site a thread for service user involvement Not for it to be a SU group, but for different ideas and thoughts to discussed and considered?

Yup there is a separate forum for SUI now ralph - I was just trying to answer a question here :)

Nick.

mischief

mischief

Admin

Hi Ashami, No the NHS isn't formally supporting the Mental Health Forum.

The Mental Health Forum came out of 1 in 4 Forum which was funded by the Mental Health Foundation until May 2006. I used to run it on behalf of the Mental Health Foundation. Instead of closing it down V01ce5 and myself had our offer to run it accepted and we have run it and funded it since. We thought we could build on what we have done with the 1 in 4 Forum and thus we launched the Mental Health Forum.

Must agree with Dollit about the need to split the thread up!