• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Suggestions

S

Sarax

Hi. I'm about to fast ( as of tomorrow ) for a week, meybe two. Any ideas or suggestions on how to get through it???? Please!!! Thanks.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Sarax and :welcome: to the forum.

I have to inform you that your post could be deemed to be in contradiction to the following rule in the forum rules and guidelines;

4.) Very offensive or harmful material. Obviously this is a judgment call but please re-read what has been said above. A part of the Mental Health Forum's reason for existence is to allow people to share their own stories which will in many, indeed possibly all, cases be upsetting. We would NOT want to discourage this. But there are instances where we have to make a judgement call. For example, explicit descriptions of self-harm methods, pro-anorexia posts and mention of specific suicide methods will be edited or deleted in line with commonly accepted guidelines.
This is not a place to get hints and tips on starving. However if you want to talk about why you want to go on a fast and why you are posting here that is fine.

Is this something you have tried before? Why do you want to go on a fast?

I have suffered (and when i say suffered I mean I really really suffered) with an eating disorder for many years. I don't think a fast of any kind no matter what weight you are should be taken lightly. Please seek some advice from a health practioner, I know that none of them would advise a week or twos fast.

Take care,
Sapphire.

S

Sarax

Hi, I have plenty of times.... Not as a mean to 'starve' but justto loose a bit if weight! I drink plenty and make sure sugar levels don't fall too low! It's Way of coping with other issues.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Sarax

If it's harmless and just to lose a bit of weight, then why are you posting asking for advice in an eating disorders forum?

I mean no offence I'm just curious as to your reasoning behind this?

S

Sarax

Am I not right in thinking that probably i am not the only person on here who does this to loose a bit of weight?!? I am sure alot if ppl do it fit the wrong reasons and need help with that but not everyone, the pol that do it often Are actually probably the ones who know how to safely fast... Just I don't want to do it to extent that an anorexic etc would

S

*Sapphire*

I am sure alot if ppl do it fit the wrong reasons and need help with that but not everyone, the pol that do it often Are actually probably the ones who know how to safely fast... Just I don't want to do it to extent that an anorexic etc would
Sarax, I seem to have touched a nerve I am sorry. However I have to inform you that I believe that there is no way that you can "safely fast".

I do think that there is something slightly unnerving about the fact that if you are not suffering from an eating disorder that you are seeking advice on an eating disorders forum on how to get through a weeks fast, it seems a bit sick to me. Again no offence intended I just don't understand it?

I do not know anyone who knows how to safely fast, did you know that anorexia has a 20% mortality rate, so if you seek advice on how to 'safely fast' here you might choose the two out of ten responses from anorexics that might lead you to your death?

You say you "don't want to do it to the extent that an anorexic etc would" but you seek advice from potential anorexics etc? Sorry I just don't understand?

S

Sarax

I'd like to delete this thread if pos..clearly ppl don't understand .. Which is fine, everyones entitled to their opinion.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Are you fasting for a religous festival?

S

Sarax

No it not for religion

keepsafe

keepsafe

Just to lose some weight then or is there another point?

S

Sarax

No other reason