• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sugar and Anxiety???

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Has anyone else suffering from anxiety noticed a correlation between sugar consumption and anxiety?

Gajolene

Gajolene

Agree with mayfair on this, also caffiene, way worse with preexisting anxiety issues and for me very hard on the stomach especially on anxiety meds.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I knew about caffeine and anxiety, but only made the connection with sugar today. I had way too much sugar today, and I feel my anxiety rising.

Darkred

Darkred

Both caffeine and sugar really get to my anxiety also. Gave up those pesky redbulls a while ago! :LOL:

Gajolene

Gajolene

Stick with your raw veggies and dip, or fruit as much as you can. Know that's easier said than done with food prices so high, and always check your juices for added sugar on the ingredients label, not the main label. I know your prices are worse than ours in Ontario and there bloody high enough here.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I knew about caffeine and anxiety, but only made the connection with sugar today. I had way too much sugar today, and I feel my anxiety rising.
I tend to find it's the day after that this occurs, if I've over done sugar. I've not got a sweet tooth at all, so perhaps nature is telling me that I don't need the amount that I might consume.

Our bodies crave and need sugar. However in today's [western] world it's easily and readily available to take in excess.

Mayfair

Mayfair

Both caffeine and sugar really get to my anxiety also. Gave up those pesky redbulls a while ago! :LOL:
Well Caffeine of course is physically addictive. Sugar however, is an absolute necessity. Very close urges though!

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to caffeine, but quite frankly if the gun laws were different in UK, and someone attempted to hijack my coffee (or tea) in the morning, then the gun would come out! :LOL:

Gajolene

Gajolene

I can't stick to any one diet for very long, I love food way to much, but like Mayfair I don't have much of a sweettooth either. I just try to keep a balanced diet with a little of everything and cook from scratch as much as possible to stay away from much of the added chemicals, salt, msg, and sugar. I think it's working as I am a healthy body weight, a little heavy but not too bad. My worst for sugar is pop and tea, mainly.

Mayfair

Mayfair

I can't stick to any one diet for very long, I love food way to much, but like Mayfair I don't have much of a sweettooth either. I just try to keep a balanced diet with a little of everything and cook from scratch as much as possible to stay away from much of the added chemicals, salt, msg, and sugar. I think it's working as I am a healthy body weight, a little heavy but not too bad. My worst for sugar is pop and tea, mainly.
Pop! :)

I thought people across the Atlantic used 'soda' as the term, or is that just USA?
In fact I don't even think our Southerners use this term?!

My new (at the time) dentist told to me that that is why my teeth were knackered when I told him I don't, and never have had a sweet tooth.

I didn't agree with him (but kept quiet) , as I'm sure it's hereditary, but I cut down on pop all the same!

1 sugar in tea though :)

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, I love my sugar. And I think the raw vegan diet really messed me up in terms of way too few calories and way too much restriction, and now I'm back into bingeing big time. I feel physically sick from all the sugar I've been eating.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Un the US they call it soda, but here in Canada we call it pop. I don't care for pop much. The carbonation makes me feel sick. So does sugar, and yet I can't seem to stop eating sugar.
Pop! :)

I thought people across the Atlantic used 'soda' as the term, or is that just USA?
In fact I don't even think our Southerners use this term?!

My new (at the time) dentist told to me that that is why my teeth were knackered when I told him I don't and never have had a sweet tooth.

I didn't agree with him, as I'm sure it's hereditary, but I cut down on pop all the same!

1 sugar in tea though :)

Mayfair

Mayfair

Yeah, I love my sugar. And I think the raw vegan diet really messed me up in terms of way too few calories and way too much restriction, and now I'm back into bingeing big time. I feel physically sick from all the sugar I've been eating.
Is there somewhere in between that you like, or have liked in the past that you could try?

The are quite opposite extremes we know that of course and why.

-

Also, do you say pop? (as I know you are in Canada also)