• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sufferers with progressive and mental illnesses have benefits cut by the DWP

calypso

calypso

Admin
So nothing new there then. I lost £100 of my benefits with PIP and the mental health didn't count for much at all.

T

Topcat

I had to appeal for my son's DLA, when I got the first report back they claimed he needed under 1hr a day care. When I went back through my claim form to do the reconsideration I added up all the minutes needed for this and that which I had written and sent off originally, and they came to 3hrs a day. So someone can't count at the DWP, probably lots of them can't count.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
So nothing new there then. I lost £100 of my benefits with PIP and the mental health didn't count for much at all.
One friend is now facing homelessness, another has just been put on JSA. It's dire for a lot of people.

They're getting rid of as many of the poor, sick, disabled & elderly as possible. Seems to be a bit of false economy but what do i know.

Why our society/culture/civilisation has to be quite so uncivilised i don't know?

P

Pixieb34

My friend has a condition where her arms/ limbs pop out of where they're meant to be and causes constant pain, it's called Elos Danlos ( prob spelt wrong) . I don't get how they can give someone like that no points. I notice they are also demonising those using food banks, saw some rubbish saying rich people are using food banks- lies, you have to have a note from a proffessional. It's going back to Victorian times for the disabled and poor. As if an employer is going to take on someone who's body is literally falling apart all the time. I know people with brain damage and autism who got benefits as kids, but lose everything once they are 18, which is weird, as brain damage isn't going to go away/ improve.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It is crazy,but looking at the list of different types of psychiatric disorders the DWP have compiled it is a vast difference in psychiatric disorders between those with schizophrenia 26,000 of them and those with schizoaffective disorder 5.027 and Bipolar affective 21,557,PD 14,518,autistic/aspengers 13,027,stress reactions PTSD 11,716,psychotic disorders 10,631,specific learning disorders 6,999,substance abuse alcohol 6,587,dementia 6,416,down's syndrome 5,462,GAD 5,320,agoraphobia 4,046,OCD 3,554.These lesser numbers can be classed as severe mental illness.

However a staggering 92,333 are listed as having mixed anxiety and depression.

These are the number of claimants for specific categories of mental illness compiled by the DWP October 2016.Also listed are physical conditions like musculoskeletal,eg back pain,arthritis etc and conditions such as diabetes,which some people have together with mental illness.But if you look the more severe psychotic illnesses have less in each category than the massive 92,000 with depression and anxiety.They could turn round anytime and say the people with anxiety and depression aren't seriously affected and could be found work at some stage and reduce their benefits to JSA which is I think what they are planning to do.I don't know however how many of them are already in the WRAg group and which and how many are in the support group.but you can see the scope for reducing the benefits of those deemed less severely mentally ill.It is astounding that they would put people through such horrific pressure by stopping their money or lessening the amount they get and what they do get giving it them on condition they work towards finding work.

Personal Independence Payment: April 2013 to October 2016 - Publications - GOV.UK

Personal Independence Payment: Detailed medical condition, October 2016 caseload

S

stuart

Nikita may well be right. People with 'more serious' conditions may be left alone - this time. It's divide and conquer, piecemeal.

A phrase of Father Jack Hacket is a good description for the government - "A shower of bastards."

Kerome

Kerome

One friend is now facing homelessness, another has just been put on JSA. It's dire for a lot of people.

They're getting rid of as many of the poor, sick, disabled & elderly as possible. Seems to be a bit of false economy but what do i know.

Why our society/culture/civilisation has to be quite so uncivilised i don't know?
It's a problem when you are a soft target - a group not very capable of standing up for itself, not very numerous, not very charismatic and in the public eye. If it so happens you are largely on state support you become a target, and you can't muster the political muscle to make a big noise, then they think they can get away with cutting support.

P

Pixieb34

I may have already said this,apologies, my friend with arthritis and bipolar got no points for the arthritis but got the benefit (pip) due to points on mental health. She said PIP is now biased favourably towards severe mental illness and less about supposedly 'low grade' physical conditions. That would make sense with them cracking down on people with musco skeletal conditions. She is actually in a lot of pain, but they decreed that her physical health problem are 'not serious'. I think they are attacking those with anxiety, depression and musco skeletal conditions because they make up the largest number of claims for benefits, like Nikita said. it's weird because I thought she'd get benefits mostly for the arthritis, not the other way round. I always thought physical conditions got more sympathy.
I've noticed a difference on buses. It used to be that if someone with a wheelchair got on, everyone felt bad for them and moved up, now the driver will whinge and people have refused to move. The driver tried to stop one guy getting on, saying his chair would not fit, but it did fit. Driver sighed and made whinging noises about lowering the ramp for the guy. One man got told he couldn't get on because prams would need to get on as school run time. But as no pram was on at the time, I felt driver should have let the wheelchair on as it was raining, prams have hoods wheelchairs don't. If pram was first and already on, OK.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It is crazy,but looking at the list of different types of psychiatric disorders the DWP have compiled it is a vast difference in psychiatric disorders between those with schizophrenia 26,000 of them and those with schizoaffective disorder 5.027 and Bipolar affective 21,557,PD 14,518,autistic/aspengers 13,027,stress reactions PTSD 11,716,psychotic disorders 10,631,specific learning disorders 6,999,substance abuse alcohol 6,587,dementia 6,416,down's syndrome 5,462,GAD 5,320,agoraphobia 4,046,OCD 3,554.These lesser numbers can be classed as severe mental illness.

However a staggering 92,333 are listed as having mixed anxiety and depression.
Can debate what is genuinely severe mental illness, but to suppose that 'everyone' is severely mentally ill is ridiculous. At least if Now some people get left alone it's something.

N

nightmare57

what about BPD? that isnt mentioned
im truly terrified i will lose my benefits but my CPN says i will be ok x
Having a CPN and input from the CMHT the DWP look more favorable when claiming benefits and they seem to follow procedure more than if you were claiming alone.

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
what about BPD? that isnt mentioned
im truly terrified i will lose my benefits but my CPN says i will be ok x
It is listed BPD under PD (Personality Disorders.)there are 14,000 people listed under that category Fairy Lu,so not in with the massive 93,000 with anxiety and depression. PD is one of the more serious disorders so shouldn't get hassle of the DWP if you have that.Don't worry you will still get your benefits,I don't think they will go after cutting benefits from the more severely mentally ill!

Nikita

Nikita

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Having a CPN and input from the CMHT the DWP look more favorable when claiming benefits and they seem to follow procedure more than if you were claiming alone.
Also if you have had a serious illness long term they wouldn't be able to get away with just cutting off your benefits,and forcing you into work,I don't think!They have to by law consider what effect it would have on your health and if you are a suicide risk if they suddenly forced you to search for work,They aren't supposed to put you at risk by their actions,this is why a lot of noise and protest is being made about the deaths so far of people who have had their benefits wrongly cut.

S

stuart

Nikita, the figures are for PIP, not ESA, which is the more relevant benefit regarding work.

Though I suppose it may be a similar percentage for diagnoses.

Edit - I still think they intend to put everyone in the work group, it's just it will have two sections, with what was the support group being what is currentley WRAG. The other part will be similar to JSA, just with the 'help', of 'work coaches'.

Still fatal for me, and many, many others.