• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sudden anxiety

J

Jeremysmith1987

Hi there I’m wondering if any one else has experienced the following .. I been under a lot of stress the last year from a lot of different factors .. and after one big stressful event I seemed to lose my appetite over night and haven’t really had it since it’s been over 3 weeks now .. I’m burping a lot more and having a lot of stomach gurgling and sometimes a vague pain in lower abdomen .. the first 2 weeks I never ate much and had the odd dinner here and there and have noticed I’ve lost about 10 lbs so far in 3 weeks I’ve been drs twice and had full blood count and liver function tests ect all come back in good range dr thinks anxiety but I’m worried as still not hungry and the digestive issues and weight loss .. could this actually be down to anxiety ? Thanks Jeremy

W

WanderingA

Yes it is! Unfortunately i had the same. I have major issues with eating normally I go like a few days not being that hungry then it'll pick up again but I went 6 months not eating properly. I felt hungry but when I ate I felt sick and had no craving for any type of foods. Over the last month my appetite is coming back. Very slowly but its getting there.. I get random cravings for food here and there or some days I forget to eat and it makes my anxiety worse.. I suggest try and get some very plain foods down you also fruit veg to keep healthy. Unfortunately it's a massive circle cause you don't eat cause your not hungry but you need to goodness from the foods otherwise you can't function properly and it can make anxiety so much worse. Try take some vitamins too found them helpful as some days I ate just one sandwich and that would be it.. I lost over 2 stone not eating. For me it's a good thing as I am slightly overweight and I do feel healthier now but don't get into the whole not eating as its really hard to try come back from that. Just like when you have the flu or are unwell eat little and often bigger meals will put you off eating even more..

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Welcome @Jeremysmith1987

Yes, stress and anxiety can make your appetite disappear. When a stressful event happens to us, our hormone levels change and the body produces far more cortisol than usual. Our stomachs then have to produce far more acid to counteract the cortisol...so we can end up with digestive issues.

It would be a good idea to keep a food diary of what you're eating every day. Your doctor can then see your calorie intake and decide if further investigation is needed. Meanwhile, eat little and often so your digestive system isn't stressed. x

N

Nate

Hi there I’m wondering if any one else has experienced the following .. I been under a lot of stress the last year from a lot of different factors .. and after one big stressful event I seemed to lose my appetite over night and haven’t really had it since it’s been over 3 weeks now .. I’m burping a lot more and having a lot of stomach gurgling and sometimes a vague pain in lower abdomen .. the first 2 weeks I never ate much and had the odd dinner here and there and have noticed I’ve lost about 10 lbs so far in 3 weeks I’ve been drs twice and had full blood count and liver function tests ect all come back in good range dr thinks anxiety but I’m worried as still not hungry and the digestive issues and weight loss .. could this actually be down to anxiety ? Thanks Jeremy
Sounds like it could be, I know that anxiety can cause reduced appetite. Also anxiety can cause physical symptoms like chest pain and stomach pain.

J

Jeremysmith1987

Hi there thankyou all I’ve seen 3 diff drs now and they all seem positive it’s anxiety they felt my abdomen listened all over and run full set of bloods and said all were perfect but I just never had the physical symptoms of anxiety before like the stomach problems and weight loss so it made me paranoid it’s hard to snap out of it it’s been 4 weeks nearly now .. it all started after my daughter said she felt ill and went all drowsy it was nothing but sparked my anxiety next day I had no appetite and was Googling everything and the last one had stuck in my head is colon cancer 😫