• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Stuttering cure

T

Twylight

I've had a stutter since I was 7 and I noticed that olanzepine has helped.
i joined a stuttering forum recently and now Doctors are prescribing anti- psychotics to help cure stuttering..

S

saffron

If they are helping then thats a good think eh.
Do you have to do any elocution lessons or anything as well?
just out of interest
S :)

T

Twylight

If they are helping then thats a good think eh.
Do you have to do any elocution lessons or anything as well?
just out of interest
S :)
No, i don't have elocution

I get the odd day in work when I can hardly string words together
But in General it doesn't bother me

T

Twylight

When I was 18, I asked my parents if I could see a hypnotherapist to rid myself of my embarrasing stutter
They took me to see a lady in Torbay - she taught me to relax and suggested I should get involved in social groups
That evening I went back to Plymouth Caving Group, as I use to cave a lot in my early teens
I got talking to one of the cave leaders and he asked me If I would accompany him to take some disabled people through a local cave - which I knew well
When I arrived at the cave the following week, the disabled people were all victims of Thalidomide - a drug given to pregnant women in the early sixties - resulting in birth defects - they had no arms, just little hands sprouting from their shoulders
We made our way through the cave and when we got to the hardest part (known as the Trumpet which I hated ) the leader asked me to rift across the drop - I got into position and with my back on one wall and my feet on the opposite wall I exerted constant pressure which held me there - below me was 18 feet of nothing
The disabled people used my body as a bridge and clambered across me - there were 16 of them and I had maintain the rifting postion for 40 minutes
Afterwards they all thanked me for my help
I thought about their disability, and my Stuttering problem faded into insignificance - I had also overcome my fear of heights.

S

saffron

What a fantastic and inspirational story.
Thats must have been an excellent opportunity for you.
Well done for facing all your fears.
S (y)