• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Stuttering and not doing well on the phone

gt86

gt86

I have had speech therapy as a kid but now a daya my stutter has gotten real bad.

It mainly happens over the phone were I cant speak well at all.

In person, for example I went for a job interview, and it really affected me and brought me down.

I just dont know what to do anymore.
Anyone have any ideas?
It stops me from living me life.

P

POB

I have had speech therapy as a kid but now a daya my stutter has gotten real bad.

It mainly happens over the phone were I cant speak well at all.

In person, for example I went for a job interview, and it really affected me and brought me down.

I just dont know what to do anymore.
Anyone have any ideas?
It stops me from living me life.
I have problems talking because my throat muscles get so tense. It helps me to take a moment to lower my pitch and speak slowly. I feel for you.

P

POB

Don't pass. Stottern accept. I bin das Gleiche. And I always work a lot with customers. Ich weisß, dass der Therapeut simue situation simulieren kann, so etwas wie ein Theater, in dem er eine ruhige Haltung üben kann. I am here.
Although I'm looking for a job in a warehouse.
What Toto said!

T

toto

I'm the same. But when I stuttered, I didn't pay attention, I accepted. With customers face to face too. I'm looking for a job in a warehouse. You can ask your therapist. As far as I know, you can play something like theater, analyze the situation, practice calm posture. Ask if he offers this type of therapy

gt86

gt86

I'm the same. But when I stuttered, I didn't pay attention, I accepted. With customers face to face too. I'm looking for a job in a warehouse. You can ask your therapist. As far as I know, you can play something like theater, analyze the situation, practice calm posture. Ask if he offers this type of therapy
Great ideas! Did your medication have any effect on your speech

T

toto

No. I am against pills. I was prescribed several types of antipsychotics, but apart from sleeping, they didn't help. It is a pity that no one offers me a job to go to and just wait to overcome my symptoms. Talk to your therapist about such sessions. I've heard of this type of therapy and I still think it would help.

F

fluffpill

ACCOUNT CLOSED
talking slowly helps me. i generally trip over my own words if i talk fast...probably can't keep up with my thoughts. i suffer from schizophrenia. not sure if this generally happens in schizophrenia or if it happens because english is not my first language.

T

toto

I think it's a slight social phobia. Some say it's because of the lack of visualization of the person when talking on the phone. But in my case it is a social phobia, low self-esteem ... despite everything 1 year ago I worked as a waitress / saleswoman. I was getting used to it, I really liked the restaurant where I worked. They also sold various breads.

T

toto

The problem was that there were no labels for me as to what bread was called. My colleague refused to put etiquette and prevented me from making my job easier. I made a crisis because of that. The good thing is that she was fired after I left

S

Shay94

I used to stutter lots when I was younger and had to go have speech therapy as well. Over the years it just randomly stopped and never happened again. As for the phone, I have extreme anxiety talking on phone (especially booking appts for myself), so I try always talking to people thru texts as its easier for me. I just don't like talking thru a phone plus I've also got a hearing problem in one ear so I can't hear well anyways

J

jordan84

Sorry how you struggle to talk to people 😖 I understand because I have the same problem, I also stuttered when I was a kid and the occasions I saw my grandmar she would always work on helping my speech, she took it very seriously, i guess this was speech therapy but I didn't realize at the time. Still to this day I don't have any confidence talking to people, growing up I would go bright red whenever I had to speak to a person too and this really damaged my confidence as often people would point it out or make fun or even if they didn't I would still feel really bad inside.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Sorry how you struggle to talk to people 😖 I understand because I have the same problem, I also stuttered when I was a kid and the occasions I saw my grandmar she would always work on helping my speech, she took it very seriously, i guess this was speech therapy but I didn't realize at the time. Still to this day I don't have any confidence talking to people, growing up I would go bright red whenever I had to speak to a person too and this really damaged my confidence as often people would point it out or make fun or even if they didn't I would still feel really bad inside.
Thankyou for your valued contribution to this thread Jordan :) You know talking on Forums like this isn't much different to talking to people face to face. Getting involved, sharing opinions, bouncing ideas backwards and forwards can be a great way to discover more about ourself etc. It always comes down to interaction, the more we practice it, find out what works and what doesn't, the more we grow. Keep posting :)

J

jordan84

Thankyou for your valued contribution to this thread Jordan :) You know talking on Forums like this isn't much different to talking to people face to face. Getting involved, sharing opinions, bouncing ideas backwards and forwards can be a great way to discover more about ourself etc. It always comes down to interaction, the more we practice it, find out what works and what doesn't, the more we grow. Keep posting :)
Thanks very much for your wise words 😊 what you said is very true 😊