• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stuff forever contaminated

P

Phil10

I need some help as my ocd believes stuff is forever contaminated. From my garden to the radiator as my wheelie bin touched it and I had a toilet plunger in the bin. If anything touches that ground I dispose of it now. I have tried Cbt and ur never helped much. When I get something in my head it’s spoiled or ruined these thoughts never leave unless I move house anybody got any tips?

V

VideoGamer_1

if cbt isn’t working bleach everything to settle your mind. I just went through the same thing the other day. I bleached everything. Try inhaling and exhaling while telling yourself what is the most practical outcome. Is it really practical that everything got infected just because of the bin?

W

Weeping_Willow

The problem is that my OCD is about the actual contamination NOT germs so unless something can be properly wiped or washed with soap and water (and fully rinsed) it can never be clean.
So not sure what type Phil10 has.

I do sympathise.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Doctor, medication – did you do
CBT for long? There are other forms of therapy as well for OCD. I would concentrate on getting help more than the compulsions insofar as possible. Keep in mind that your thinking at this is illogical.

Cherry Layne

Cherry Layne

I’ve experienced similar things. I avoided opening and closing a certain set of window blinds in my house for two years because I touched it with dirty hands all that time ago, and have even cleaned it since then, but I still associate it with being dirty and for a long time would rather sit in the dark than open the window and have to touch it. I avoided that whole corner, and when something would drop on the ground there I’d just leave it, not wanting to even pick it up after perceiving it was permanently contaminated. Finally recently I cleaned it off once and for all with alcohol to ease my mind, and then faced my fears. I’m now able to touch it, though I still hesitate and give it too much thought. I’m sorry I can’t offer much advice on this topic. I hope you are able to overcome this! You have it in you, best wishes.

C

CalmMe

This is going to sound funny but trust me, it's not. I do this with my underwear. I decide that a pair is bad or I have a thought about if I wear it then something bad will happen or I am doing something evil. So I have to throw out those underwear sometimes. Sometimes I just put it away and then when the OCD is less I have forgotten and can wear them. It can be so bad sometimes that I can't wear any underwear. I've started doing this with my clothing now so my options are really limited. My newer OCD thoughts are "if I wear this shirt, I'll get (you know what illness that's going around)" so I can't wear it. It's leaving me naked a lot of the time wrapped in a towel or sheet and crying.