• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

studying with the OU and benefits

F

ficklepear

Hi, can anyone advise me..

I'm a single mum with 2 kids I have schizophrenia and claim income support and DLA. I'd like to study with the OU in september and was wondering how this would affect my benefits and if I could access any funding for courses as a disabled person.

Would I have to undergo a medical assessment?
How many hours am I allowed to study for a week?
Are there any rulles about voluntary/ theraputic work?

Anyone in my position or been through this?

Many thanks in advance,

michelle.
;0)

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
You can do the openings courses and you just sign a form and the cost is paid, for the more advanced courses they send you a form that you take to the benefit office for a stamp

I don't know what to say, at that benefit interview, i feel they'll home in on anything that allows them to cut benefits, guess it depends on your representation and the strength of your case

Guess i'm showing my prejudices but they won't bottom line let a child starve

dib4uk

dib4uk

I'm with the OU. As its a distance learing it doesnt interfer with your benefits. You dont have to go to a medical or anything like that.

Regarding voluntary work it has to be under 16 hours a week to be able to still claim benefits.

Hope that has helped.

F

ficklepear

thanks

Thankyou for your replies and advice, I was hoping that the OU openings courses could be funded. After being at home with my kids for 17 years and coping with my illness I now need to reach out more.

Another question, has anybody here been offered schema therapy on the NHS? I'd love to know what talking therapies can do for people with schizophrenia, what helped? what worked? What didn't help?

please refer me to a different thread if this isn't the right place to ask. ;0)

Thanks,
Chel