• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Studying anxiety

H

huntsman

Hi

I'm having problems keeping myself together while studying... I worry so much I'm going to get a bad grade I can't actually focus on studying... Can anyone help?

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

Hi

I'm having problems keeping myself together while studying... I worry so much I'm going to get a bad grade I can't actually focus on studying... Can anyone help?
Live in the moment. Your grades will be fine. Life is to short to keep worrying. Belive me i know

I

irwin

Hi

I have that problem, also. I'm so envious of people who can concentrate for long periods of time. I often can't even make it through a page in a book without my mind wandering. Sometimes, I have no idea what's going on in a movie because I'm thinking about something else. It could be ADHD, I guess, although I think it's caused more from discontentment with life.

H

huntsman

I have that problem, also. I'm so envious of people who can concentrate for long periods of time. I often can't even make it through a page in a book without my mind wandering. Sometimes, I have no idea what's going on in a movie because I'm thinking about something else. It could be ADHD, I guess, although I think it's caused more from discontentment with life.
Same...

I wonder off a lot too. Sometimes I wonder if my friends are even human, when they manage to study something 3 times faster than me.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Study in short sessions, you will be more productive. Do a study timetable.
Have sessions will your tutors, they will help you.
Good luck

I

irwin

Same...

I wonder off a lot too. Sometimes I wonder if my friends are even human, when they manage to study something 3 times faster than me.
What really sucks is when people think you're stupid because it takes you longer to absorb material. It could be a learning disability, and you just need to learn in different ways than other people, but often even teachers won't understand that.

T

trailwalker29

Things that help me are -

Make sure your study area is clean
Breathing exercises
Limit distractions
Try some light music

Talina

Talina

Forum Safety Team
Hi

I don’t know how many times I space out while studying. In high school I always doodled in my notes to keep my focus better. It’s something I can still do in uni, when I feel I’m spacing out.

We all have different ways to pick up things, I have it a lot easier learning practical things where I can feel and see. While anything abstract make my brain hurt.

Try to do short session where you can stay focused and try to structure up your day. It will become easier when you find a way that fits you to study and your own study technic.

I can always focus better by listening to music and my breaks will be short but many.

I’m a slow learner when it comes to academic studying. It can be good talking with your school and see if they can help you or there is any help they can provide with. I know by talking with language teacher in high school I could pass the course which I would otherwise fail and not get a high school degree.

I hope you manage to find a way that works for you.

H

huntsman

What really sucks is when people think you're stupid because it takes you longer to absorb material. It could be a learning disability, and you just need to learn in different ways than other people, but often even teachers won't understand that.
Yeah... It sucks.

H

huntsman

Things that help me are -

Make sure your study area is clean
Breathing exercises
Limit distractions
Try some light music
Thank you for your advice.

I haven't tried breathing breathing exorcises while studying. I'll give it a go.

The others don't really work or make a significant difference.

H

huntsman

I don’t know how many times I space out while studying. In high school I always doodled in my notes to keep my focus better. It’s something I can still do in uni, when I feel I’m spacing out.

We all have different ways to pick up things, I have it a lot easier learning practical things where I can feel and see. While anything abstract make my brain hurt.

Try to do short session where you can stay focused and try to structure up your day. It will become easier when you find a way that fits you to study and your own study technic.

I can always focus better by listening to music and my breaks will be short but many.

I’m a slow learner when it comes to academic studying. It can be good talking with your school and see if they can help you or there is any help they can provide with. I know by talking with language teacher in high school I could pass the course which I would otherwise fail and not get a high school degree.

I hope you manage to find a way that works for you.
Thank you for your advice.

I'll try some of those. Sadly music doesn't seem to work, it seems to just distract me more.