• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Stuck in life

D

Dekaas

Hello, im new to this forum. I am a 29 year old male from the Netherlands and have been coping with a panic/social anxiety disorder for about 10 years now and i am kinda stuck in life.
See, i have been on and off of therapy for a long time. Seen different therapists, tried different ways op approach and i feel a lot better already considering at first i was not even able to go outside my parents home ( i live with roommates now) in fear of a panic attack. I even manage to go to the gym and do volunteer work for a couple of hours a week!
However, at this point it is expected of me by my welfare coach to either go back to school or start working a real job.
This is stressing me out, the thought alone of it gives me severe anxiety again. I don't feel like im mentally strong enough to handle being at one place for 9 hours, multiple times a week again. I did do it before my anxiety started becoming a problem but even then i always felt terrible afterwards and i would soon quit or get fired from my job because it was just making me so depressed.
The point is, i feel like i hit a major roadblock in my life again and i feel like im going downhill again.
Sorry for the long post but i really want some input of people that understand my situation..
Thanks!

PetitPois

PetitPois

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi @Dekaas I am really sorry you are so stressed out and having a tough time right now. You sound like you made some really great progress. Are you still seeing a therapist? Could they not help support you with the welfare coach and state that you are not well enough to take on that responsibility yet

Also you sound very anxious, did you learn any relaxation techniques from your therapist or doctor. If not there is a lot available on the internet. They might really help you when your stress levels start overwhelming you.

D

Dekaas

Thanks for the reply!
Im not seeing a therapist right now, finished my sessions at the last one which helped a lot but i cant stay there forever. Probably gonna see if i can talk to my local doctors therapist though.
I got pretty good at managing my stress and anxiety but the depression is what worry's me a lot. Im once again at the point i just feel like giving up on trying and just hide in my room or something..Not that that is an option cause welfare expects me too participate or else i will get in trouble.
I gues what the question kinda is is: Should i keep fighting to live a ''normal life'' or should i just make the most out of what i have which is not much but maybe i can at least find peace in it.
It is such a difficult question cause i don't really see either one working out great for me :/
I just feel so damn alone in it all yknow?

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Dekaas. Welcome to the forum.

H

Hooger

Hello, im new to this forum. I am a 29 year old male from the Netherlands and have been coping with a panic/social anxiety disorder for about 10 years now and i am kinda stuck in life.
See, i have been on and off of therapy for a long time. Seen different therapists, tried different ways op approach and i feel a lot better already considering at first i was not even able to go outside my parents home ( i live with roommates now) in fear of a panic attack. I even manage to go to the gym and do volunteer work for a couple of hours a week!
However, at this point it is expected of me by my welfare coach to either go back to school or start working a real job.
This is stressing me out, the thought alone of it gives me severe anxiety again. I don't feel like im mentally strong enough to handle being at one place for 9 hours, multiple times a week again. I did do it before my anxiety started becoming a problem but even then i always felt terrible afterwards and i would soon quit or get fired from my job because it was just making me so depressed.
The point is, i feel like i hit a major roadblock in my life again and i feel like im going downhill again.
Sorry for the long post but i really want some input of people that understand my situation..
Thanks!
Try a desensitizing process. I have been dealing with agoraphobia for 40 years. That is the only thing that has worked for me.