• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stuck in a cycle of anxiety

S

stevieH

Hi I'm new here and and have never been on a forum before so this is very new for me telling other people about the anxieties I am feeling, but I want to try and see if anyone can help or relate to this.
I have always had a real fear of social situations and it has affected me my whole life especially in workplaces where I have struggled to cope. Twice I have ended up in reaching a breaking point where It builds up to worrying constantly and not being able to sleep , anxiety giving stomach problems and acid reflux, and I end up in an anxious depressed state.

I was lucky to get the job I am in now after leaving my last one because of not being able to cope with the stress, where I was having to sort out problems in a very badly organized company.

I'm struggling with anxiety now and am determined not to end up living in this cycle of anxiety again, I tell myself it will pass, but worry a lot because of the insomnia.
I've started sleeping tablets but don't want to end up dependent on them.

Thanks for reading my post, any advice would be appreciated.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Hi stevie and welcome to the forum.

Just was wondering if you've ever seen a counsellor, therapist, or psychiatrist to help you address your anxiety symptoms or if you've been trying to cope with this alone and in silence? Like so many of us here have tried to do.

The insomia is worrysome to me, because I know the devestating effects anxiety induced sleep deprevation can cause both mentally and physically to your health. Sleeping tabs really are only a temporary solution.

I think considering how long you have struggled with this that getting some help from the professionals by doctor referal would be really beneficial for you. Talking on hear helps a lot of us tremendously as well. Having a safe place where you can post about your anxieties, and other health concerns. How your coping and hearing from others who help by sharing they're sucess stories I have come to really depend on myself.

Keep sharing I'm sure you will get some really helpfull responses here.

S

stevieH

Hi Gajolene

Thanks for your reply, I've had my ups and downs like everyone and luckily have been in my job for almost three years and been managing ok until recently. I think I have been analyzing and worrying too much lately instead of letting go and accepting whatever happens.
I've tried CBT for the social phobia twice over the years , it has helped some but I always have been the quiet one who doesn't want to be noticed, I can deal with that at the moment but just have got into a general worrying phase and am hoping sharing this with people will help me.

I want to be positive about what I can do to change my negative thoughts and behaviors and try and help myself so here is what I am thinking
1. Try and get into a regular exercise routine
2. Practice relaxation techniques and try meditation or yoga.
3. Learn to open up more and tell people how I feel.
4. Deal with my low self esteem issues which are at the heart of my social phobia.
5. Get a regular routine
6 Stop adding to this list!!! enough is enough

I know that its too much to expect to sort out everything in the list so I am going to try the first small step of exercising.

I've found it really hard to share this with people so for me this is an achievement in itself and I hope that I will be able to offer support and advice to others as I learn to open up with people.
I'll think about counseling also but its not so easy here in the uk as the health service is always under pressure.
Steve

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.
I know it's not always something people are willing to try, but am wondering if you've been on any medication (like an anti-depressant) for your anxiety?
The biggest thing that i've found makes a difference to my social anxiety is taking my citalopram.

S

stevieH

Welcome to the forum.
I know it's not always something people are willing to try, but am wondering if you've been on any medication (like an anti-depressant) for your anxiety?
The biggest thing that i've found makes a difference to my social anxiety is taking my citalopram.
Thanks for responding
you've guessed correct that I'm trying to avoid the antidepressant route as I've tried them before and didn't find them as helpful as I thought they would be. Escitalopram did eventually help with depression and make me more motivated and irritable at the same time, but then there's no such thing as a perfect pill.
I'll keep it in mind though.

I want to try and change how I cope with stress and especially social interaction but realize now that I have to really seek help from other people and that it will be long process where medication of some sort may be needed as a sort of crutch.

Unfortunately I have to work permanent night shifts and this is not good for sleep or normal activities but I've coped well enough for nearly three years. I have to stay in night shift mode on my days off, I am just not someone who even can or would want to try and switch sleep routines.

I find the days off hard at the moment as I end up in the house by myself at night with everyone else asleep and too much time to think. I know I can get through this and it will pass.

The fact is i can be a bit obsessive about things and have trouble switching off , but then everyone has different ways of behaving and we all have to find ways of coping.

I've already sat too long thinking over this post but it is helping me to write about whats going on in my head and admitting that I have a problem with anxiety. Letting other people know by writing it down is easier than trying to tell someone face to face
but maybe this is a small step to finding ways of coping!

S

stevieH

Hi
just an update, still feeling anxious today but was doing some reading up to see if there are any supplements that may help.
Most of my anxiety problems have occurred in the winter (although there is always a reason) and are usually coupled with depression if I give up fighting the anxiety and let things get me down.

I was just thinking that working nights I am getting less sunlight than normal and that would mean that my vitamin d levels could be even lower than normal, especially at this time of year. I have got some vitamin d3 and am going to take it daily as it cant do any harm to raise my levels in winter.

Also I do very little exercise in the winter so I will try to change that.

I really worry about sleep more than anything and was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to cope with this?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think it's a really good idea to try and take supplements.

Have you ever tried a "light box"? Sometimes that can help too, though i'm unsure as to when you should use it if you're working night shifts because it might just make your body clock worse.

When you say you're worried about the sleep, do you mean just not getting enough of it?

S

stevieH

I think it's a really good idea to try and take supplements.

Have you ever tried a "light box"? Sometimes that can help too, though i'm unsure as to when you should use it if you're working night shifts because it might just make your body clock worse.

When you say you're worried about the sleep, do you mean just not getting enough of it?
I think a special light could be a good idea to help me have something to keep me in a more regulated cycle and think it would be good for winter where there is less light.
I stress over not being able to get to sleep or waken up and cant get back to sleep.