Stuck and went to hospital last night

R

Raindrops1999

Last night I went to A&E (ambulance and emergency) because my depression was really bad, to the point I felt suicidal. I don’t think anyone understands, but I am so depressed because of my weight and life.

I am morbidly obese and fucking hate it. 4 years ago, I was just obese and felt relatively happy because I didn’t look obese, but now, I look so off-putting and my body is unrecognisable to what it was 4 years ago.

I just want to lose weight, but I’m always hungry. I serious when I say this. I am literally always hungry and never full. I could eat a massive roast dinner and BAM!! 30 minutes later I feel hungry again. This isn’t normal, is it? Is it the depression causing this? Is it a binge eating disorder causing this? Or is it leptin resistance?

Everyday I feel down and teary. I’m already on 60mg of Prozac and 5mg of an anti-psychotic tablet. I hate this way of life. I don’t do anything, I don’t have a job, I can’t get a job because I’m shit at interviews. I mean, I have an interview at a coffee shop tomorrow, but I have no experience of making coffees, milkshakes, smoothies, etc.

I’ve told the mental health team and my GP many times about that I’m always hungry, but they don’t do anything.

Victorianna

Victorianna

I’m sorry you are feeling so depressed. I struggle with my weight, too. Have you had your thyroid checked? I know if it is malfunctioning, it can affect your weight. Has your doctor run any tests to look for an underlying cause of your constant hunger? If not, can you ask them to, or change doctors?

R

Raindrops1999

I’m sorry you are feeling so depressed. I struggle with my weight, too. Have you had your thyroid checked? I know if it is malfunctioning, it can affect your weight. Has your doctor run any tests to look for an underlying cause of your constant hunger? If not, can you ask them to, or change doctors?
Hello Victorianna,

I deeply apologise for the late reply. The doctors haven't done any tests to check if I have an underlying issue. I've got a feeling that I don't and it's more of a mental health issue causing me to overeat.

I am still struggling with my weight issues and had a breakdown this week. I got my mum to make an emergency appointment with the GP because I was feeling very down because of my binge eating and feeling very hopeless.

I went to the GP saying that I need help with my overeating, the doctor was so rude to me. I told her how I managed to lose weight 4 years ago because I was mentally in a better place. She then turned around and said "you did it 4 years ago, you can do it again." I was shocked by this answer because I really didn't expect her to say that to a mentally ill patient who thinks their binge eating is caused by mental health issues. In fact, I'm 99.9% sure my binge eating is caused by my depression or SAD (seasonal affective disorder) because my binge eating started when I was 13 years old in the winter time. The doctor had made me cry and I had to walk out of the consultation room because she made me so upset. As soon as I got home, I decided to report her.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi raindrops you say your on an antipsychotic they are notorious for making you over eat and put weight on. I was on quetiapine and put on over three stone. When I came off it I lost most of the weight.

R

Raindrops1999

Hi raindrops you say your on an antipsychotic they are notorious for making you over eat and put weight on. I was on quetiapine and put on over three stone. When I came off it I lost most of the weight.
Hi daffy,

Yes, I am on aripiprazole. I'm thinking of coming off them because I think this weight gain could of been caused by those, but I'm not sure. Without aripiprazole, I'm so moody and feel really depressed. Not sure what I should do.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi daffy,

Yes, I am on aripiprazole. I'm thinking of coming off them because I think this weight gain could of been caused by those, but I'm not sure. Without aripiprazole, I'm so moody and feel really depressed. Not sure what I should do.
Hi,
I'm on aripipazole and have gained loads of weight, however I'm stable mental health wise. My dr won't let me come of it.
Maybe you could ask about trying a different drug. Please don't just stop it yourself, the side effects can be dangerous.
Good luck

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I came off mine only because I’d been stable with no hospital admissions for eight years and I have diabetes which I’m sure was caused by the quetiapine as it’s now a warning on the leaflet. But my sugars were uncontrollable and I was worried about the long term damage to my body. My sugars aren’t back to normal but they have gone down but I’m also on a lot of other meds which interact with blood glucose as well

J

Jules5

I have lost 20 lbs in 3 months by drinking coffee a lot of decaf as the caf makes me edgy. Coffee real curbs the appetite. Good luck at your interview. I do not know how to make fancy coffee but they will train you. Just have a good attitude and willingness to try hard. Do not be so down on yourself take a break from your weight and know that you are not alone. Most of society is overweight. I do think it may be your medications I am on risperdone and I gained 3 stones in less than five months so be careful. Also I just had blood work done and my thyroid is off balance so I need further test. Lots of hugs sent your way

T

Trekster33

Are you definitely on medications that do not react with each other? I've just looked up aripirozole and it says to inform your doctor if you are on any other medications.

Also there are the charities 'BEAT' for any gender and 'men get eating disorders too'. Both have support groups around the UK that you could try.

Pleased you reported the GP sorry you had such a hard time with her.

T

Trekster33

I'm on risperdal and I'm also concerned about weight gain. I also struggle with food addictions, the only way to treat them for me are to avoid the triggering foods.

In my case I'm addicted to gluten and dairy stuff. If I accidentally have any then I have to drink tonic water to stop the effects. I've been told by many people it's all in my head but I'm happier without gluten and dairy. Benozates turn me into a monster.

Aspartame increases the sensitivity of my hearing but that's a side effect I prefer to live with rather than my auditory flashbacks.

How did you loose the weight last time? Maybe we can help you find those tools to help you to loose it again.

R

Raindrops1999

I'll have to consult my doctor (the mental health doctor) about this because I want to lose the weight, but am scared I'll become moody and suicidal (one night I missed my tablet and felt quite suicidal). I'm not sure what to do.

R

Raindrops1999

I have lost 20 lbs in 3 months by drinking coffee a lot of decaf as the caf makes me edgy. Coffee real curbs the appetite. Good luck at your interview. I do not know how to make fancy coffee but they will train you. Just have a good attitude and willingness to try hard. Do not be so down on yourself take a break from your weight and know that you are not alone. Most of society is overweight. I do think it may be your medications I am on risperdone and I gained 3 stones in less than five months so be careful. Also I just had blood work done and my thyroid is off balance so I need further test. Lots of hugs sent your way
Thank you for the advice, unfortunately I don't like coffee!

Thanks for the hugs as well. :)

R

Raindrops1999

I'm on risperdal and I'm also concerned about weight gain. I also struggle with food addictions, the only way to treat them for me are to avoid the triggering foods.

In my case I'm addicted to gluten and dairy stuff. If I accidentally have any then I have to drink tonic water to stop the effects. I've been told by many people it's all in my head but I'm happier without gluten and dairy. Benozates turn me into a monster.

Aspartame increases the sensitivity of my hearing but that's a side effect I prefer to live with rather than my auditory flashbacks.

How did you loose the weight last time? Maybe we can help you find those tools to help you to loose it again.
Last time I lost weight I was extremely happy and mentally well. Everything was going good for me and I wasn't that depressed. But now I am very depressed and just can't do it now. It's like the doctors just don't understand.

L

Lunar Lady

Hi Raindrops

Sorry to hear you are so low right now.

Water is extremely filling. When you get hunger pangs, drink a bottle of water rather than having food.

Things like oat bran swell in your stomach after consumption and make you feel full. I tend to snack on Weetabix for the same reason.

I love food and I'm badly behaved with chocolate and sugary snacks. Rather than fight the food urges, I just do a great deal of exercise to keep myself in shape. You don't need a sparkly leotard or an expensive gym membership - just dance at home whenever you get the opportunity or do exercises in the privacy of your bedroom. I walk a great deal and that keeps you fit and maintains a higher endorphin level to stop those low moods.

We can gain over a stone in weight through having an irregular sleeping pattern or not enough sleep - so if you're awake for much of the night, this is probably affecting your weight too.

The dieting shakes are very effective to stop the snack attacks - Slimfast is very filling and might be useful to have during the day between meals.

I know it can get you down - but weight comes off, Raindrops. The most important thing is your mental health and well-being. As long as you make some sensible adjustments to the size of your meal portions and swap the snacks and desserts for a diet shake/water your weight will gradually come off again.

Sending you lots of love :hug:

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

my dude a side effect of antidepressants are weight gain and they make you feel like shit,slugish and a zombie state anyway for me it did you eat for a reason you should look into why you eat much i am guessing comfort/stability for me food does that you should seek losing weight from the nhs i went to my local gp a nice lady said can i see you every week to monitor my weight loss she said sure working for me i would also consider coming off anti depressants this is my view because for me anti depressants make you worst it doesnt solve anything just keeps you alive what sort of life is that ? you have to make the changes if you want to get out the rut dude

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
HumanPerson Depression Forum 5
J Depression Forum 2
Solitude1 Depression Forum 12
N Depression Forum 11
Firefly94 Depression Forum 4