• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Struggling with quetiapine

C

caz78

Morning all,

Has anyone got any advice regarding quetiapine? I have been on 300mg xr for about 4 weeks now. No side effects whilst building up to this dose apart from a morning hangover. Since hitting 300 though I am so light headed and need to sleep a straight 12 hours a night or I feel like i have flu or something. I literally cannot function on less sleep. Even after a long nights sleep by the time i am showered and dressed I am exhausted again. Its pretty horrible. My skin goes all tingly and I am weak and no energy. I get dizzy all the time.

I am hoping that if i tough it out the side effects will lessen cos it is definitely helping my moods stay more stable. I am seeing my gp next week so will mention it then but I don't want to give in too soon. Luckily I am not working at the mo so can have the long sleep I need but if effects last long term it will cause a problem.

On a lighter note xmas should be funny, I am usually the woman coughing and flushing the loo at 4am to wake my kid up!! PLease dont let me be a zombie on xmas morning. Bloody hell the kid get so spoiled by relatives if we dont start pressie opening til ten we will still be at it on boxing day! you gotta laugh : ) I also dread to think what my attempt at xmas dinner will be like whilst under the influence of these meds!
#x

R

RiverovRed

hi caz
Glad to hear they are helping your moods. I was on 400mg for a year and then now for last 2 months am on 800mg of the xr i have the morning hangover still now im hoing it will go with time but it hasnt yet. On the plus side though like you say they do work so its good you are giving them a proper try

loulabelle

loulabelle

it may pass i was on 800mg xr for ages and i didnt get the sedation so it may pass try stick it out if the meds are helping just rember there are other mefs if the hangover is too much.

FallenAngel

FallenAngel

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I have been on Quetiapine 400mg for 8 months now and I won't lie. Most days are a struggle battling extreme bouts of fatigue. It helps with moods and I have certainly found a new tolerance in my moods. Avoid alcohol if you can. I know once in the morning after a heavy session and felt like I had been on the beer and whisky chasers and violated by every date up a dark alley!

Some days are good. The bad days are the worst. I have found fitting my life around the medication challenging sometimes. I managed to decorate my bedroom this year after a year of putting it off and I felt well pleased I managed to find the energy to do it.

See how you feel on it and if you are struggling in the day through tiredness, speak to the GP and see if you can trial any other medication.

Good luck ;)

C

caz78

Thank you all for the great advice and support, i will tough it out for a few more weeks I think x

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

I've been on Quetiapine for about 5 years now at various different levels, I'm now on 300mg daily. I still have trouble like yourself staying motivated and awake during the day, and I spend most of my time when not at work sleeping, it's what most of my weekends consist of !!

I do have to say though, it does keep me stable and able to at least hold down a job and form some kind of reasonable life. I look at it that it doesn't cost anything or hurt anyone to have loads of sleep !

Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

Hi Caz,

The sedation does lessen for most people - takes a while though. I was ramped up from nothing to 600mg over a week and felt like I was going to die! After a couple of months though, the fog cleared. Helped me to drink plenty of water. Hope the sleepiness improves for you - it's great to hear you're finding quetiapine helpful. It never really worked for me... If you find something that helps, I always think it's best to stick with it. I do sympathise about Christmas though - I'm exactly the same on Christmas morning!

E

equilibrium

Hi Caz

I have quetiepine as part of my meds. I had a brilliant psychiatrists who advised me to reduce the dose gradually, first by 25mg for a week, then another 25 mg for a week or more, until I found a measure I could function with and was happy with. I followed his advice and it was revolutionary for me. I also watch my diet and exercise regularly, no matter how I feel beforehand I force myself to exercise. Exercise is the key to recovery for me. It helps with the inevitable weight gain from the meds and releases endorphins in the brain for the feel-good factor. I enjoy swimming and walking. I can swim a mile no bother now. I call it 'Forrest Gumping'.
Do not stop medication or alter it without advice. My experience is that this makes you very ill indeed. Always speak to a professional and get EXPERT advice. Good luck.

R

ranger

I have been on 300mg for about eight months. In the beginning I was sleeping for up to fourteen fifteen hours a day and I did get very dizzy. I am much better on it now though, but what I would say is really avoid alcohol. I have been abstaining recently and this has helped immensely particdularly from the morning grogginess.

prairiechick

prairiechick

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I am on quetiapine as well, 700 mg now (started off at 25 mg). When I first started taking it I was like you, and only on 25 mg. As others have said, the sedation does wear off. It didn't really bother me, because for the first time in years I was getting more than 4 hours of sleep. I welcomed being knocked out for 12 hours straight.

Just curious, what dose did you start out on? If your doctor has you increasing the dose too quickly your symptoms could be a result of that. I don't remember getting dizzy.