Struggling with psychosis

S

Someguy2000

Barely a week ago I've been diagnosed with psychosis. The psychiatrist said that it was drug induced.
What im wondering is, can it be drug induced if the last time I've taken drugs (only cannabis btw) was 5 months ago and my psychotic episode really started only a week ago and lasted for like 4 days? So far I only ever had delusions and no hallucinations.

I've had some weird things happening to me, where over the past few months, every now and then I had episodes that only lasted a few hours where I was really delusional. Im not sure if those were some tiny psychotic episodes or a precursor to the first real psychotic episode I had.

Right now im struggling with determining whats real and whats a delusion. I know that some of the thoughts I have are bizarre and likely not true, but im not 100% sure if they are just imagined or real. Im taking a small dose of 5mg of Olanzapine a day but so far it barely did anything good.

Anyway, is it possible that cannabis gave me psychosis even though the last time I smoked cannabis was nearly half a year before my first real episode?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Personally I think cannabis had nothing to do with your psychosis although I'd never use it again in case it does trigger another episode.

Did you feel high at all when going through your psychosis? Extra amounts of energy, increased heart rate, blurred or wobbly vision?

I did and told my doctors it felt like I was high on ecstasy and LSD, drugs that I hadn't taken in over 10 years, I later found out the body can produce a chemical similar to LSD called DMT and Opioids similar to ecstasy and amphetamines so my glands that produce these chemicals must have been over producing giving me a diagnosis of drug induced psychosis.

L

linus

For a limited (but significant) number of people cannabis can increase the risk of serious mental health illnesses. So maybe you had a premorbid situation that got worse with the use of cannabis so yes it is possible, but then it wouldn't be a simple drug induced psychosis. However if you only have a week since it all started, you should wait for at least 4-6 weeks to get your symptoms under control and then respect the medical protocol so you can prevent relapse.

S

Someguy2000

Personally I think cannabis had nothing to do with your psychosis although I'd never use it again in case it does trigger another episode.

Did you feel high at all when going through your psychosis? Extra amounts of energy, increased heart rate, blurred or wobbly vision?

I did and told my doctors it felt like I was high on ecstasy and LSD, drugs that I hadn't taken in over 10 years, I later found out the body can produce a chemical similar to LSD called DMT and Opioids similar to ecstasy and amphetamines so my glands that produce these chemicals must have been over producing giving me a diagnosis of drug induced psychosis.
Well I felt.. Different. I felt like I was in a different state of mind which I guess is a good thing since that shows that I was still partially aware of my delusions and the other behaviour. Not quite sure if it felt exactly like a drug trip. But I guess its not too far off

S

Someguy2000

For a limited (but significant) number of people cannabis can increase the risk of serious mental health illnesses. So maybe you had a premorbid situation that got worse with the use of cannabis so yes it is possible, but then it wouldn't be a simple drug induced psychosis. However if you only have a week since it all started, you should wait for at least 4-6 weeks to get your symptoms under control and then respect the medical protocol so you can prevent relapse.
Thanks for the response. Yeah guess I'll just have to wait a while longer until the meds start working. I still think that just 5mg a day might not be enough.

L

linus

From the Australian Clinical Guideline for first episode psychosis (FEP):
Olanzapine: Start with: 2.5–5 mg/day Initial target dose: 10 mg/day Highest dose: up to 20 mg/day
And they work with start low go slow approach, that means that the increase of the dose will happen after a few days (even a week) to see the effects. Don't rush yourself, if you can have some control of your emotions, it's better to use a lower dose. Btw, Olanzapine is considered by them a second line approach (risperidone would be a first) and then clozapine as third.