• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Struggling with diagnosis

G

greenmango997

Hi, very new to this. Was recently diagnosed with bipolar 2 and am struggling to accept this. I was brought up in a third world country that didn't believe mental illness is real so I'm struggling to believe I have bipolar. My GP, psychologist and psychiatrist have all come to this conclusion and I've been given medication. I refuse to start it, i think I'm fine and don't need help, maybe just someone to vent to every few weeks when i feel a bit low - but everyone feels low every now and then?. The only reason i ever started getting help was because my partner couldn't handle my 'episodes' but i didn't think they were bipolar... has anyone else struggled to accept their diagnosis? I genuinely believe this medication will change who i am and i dont want to start it

babyblue22

babyblue22

Hi, very new to this. Was recently diagnosed with bipolar 2 and am struggling to accept this. I was brought up in a third world country that didn't believe mental illness is real so I'm struggling to believe I have bipolar. My GP, psychologist and psychiatrist have all come to this conclusion and I've been given medication. I refuse to start it, i think I'm fine and don't need help, maybe just someone to vent to every few weeks when i feel a bit low - but everyone feels low every now and then?. The only reason i ever started getting help was because my partner couldn't handle my 'episodes' but i didn't think they were bipolar... has anyone else struggled to accept their diagnosis? I genuinely believe this medication will change who i am and i dont want to start it
Medication isn’t there to change you as a person it’s just to level you out. Coming to terms with a diagnosis is hard especially if you were brought up in a place where mental health isn’t real. My dad believed it was something made up in my head & my mum did until she suffered with her own mental health struggles. Mental health is real & for you & your partners sake you should work through it!! Xx

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi there, I refused to accept my diagnosis of Bipolar 1 for years. At the time I lacked insight into my condition, meaning I did not see what others saw as far as my behaviors and state of mind being irregular. It took time and working with a therapist to see what others saw and I now take my medication with regularity. Has anyone sat down with you and explained what symptoms you demonstrate that make them believe that you are bipolar? What does your wife say about your symptoms? Why is she so insistent? Could the symptoms be explained away by other things?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I also found it hard to accept my diagnosis of bipolar 2 but realise that I lacked insight into my behaviour that had others really worried about me. Why not try the medication and see what it does? Talk to your wife and see what she says. These "episodes" what are they like? Part of the problem is that we tend to lack insight into ourselves. Maybe ask for some therapy to help you with this.