• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Struggling with depression and meds

B

Beachgirl71

I was diagnosed bp II 21 years ago, and I have been pretty stable. I tend to head down more than up. I have taken pristiq for the last few years but last November I starting feeling “off”. I started tapering off of it over a week ago while introducing Zoloft at the same time. I’m on 50mg of Zoloft now, and it took everything I had to get out of bed today. I’ve also cried all day. I’m miserable. Any experiences on Zoloft that you can share? Thanks

HLon99

HLon99

Usually antidepressants take a few weeks to kick in so give it some time. That being said, here in the UK antidepressants aren't routinely prrescribed as they can trigger mood swings in bipolar. Perhaps you should consider a mood stabiliser, something like lamotrigine (Lamictal).

K

keith74

Totally agree with HLon99 that if you are bipolar, you need to be very careful with antidepressants as there is risk it can trigger mania. You need to balance out the antidepressant with something to manage the mania like an antipsychotic (Olanzapine, etc) or a mood stabilizer like Depakote. My wife is bipolar I and she is taking quetiapine (an antipsychotic that is also effective for depression), in addition to a mood stabilizer. For bipolar II, lamotrigine is good mood stabilizer since it is effective for depression.

B

Beachgirl71

Thank you. I’ve always taken an antidepressant with a mood stabilizer. I’m on lamictal and Latuda too. I know med changes are hard, but I’m tired of struggling with the depression.

C

CabbageMama

I have tried a few things, but am now on Lamotrigine and Pregabalin. My lows have been really low, so they have just added in an antidepressant one I haven’t heard of or tried before - Vortioxetine. My Psychiatrist says we need to be really cautious about using them, but that this one should help. We will see. I’m bipolar 2 as well. Sounds like a medication review would be a good idea for you. Definitely talk to someone about how you are feeling.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G Struggling with diagnosis Bipolar Forum 3
angel1982 Struggling Bipolar Forum 2
T Natural ways to deal with bipolar depression and anxiety Bipolar Forum 13
G Depression: the final phase Bipolar Forum 2
P During a depression cycle does anyone hate or get disgusted by their significant other? Bipolar Forum 13
T Depression and Grief Bipolar Forum 3
M Advice: Medications for Bipolar Depression Bipolar Forum 14
M I think my last depression broke my soul. How do you fix that? Bipolar Forum 5
B Recovering from mania-entering depression Bipolar Forum 19
OmniscientNihilist dealing with depression Bipolar Forum 2
T Coping with depression Bipolar Forum 4
K Tips for bad anxiety and depression... Bipolar Forum 14
HLon99 Lingering depression outside of mood episodes Bipolar Forum 8
F Is lamictal good for depression? Bipolar Forum 9
F My fiancee has left the country due to depression and immediately received a Cyclothymia diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
DistantOcean I think I might have bipolar disorder. But how do I cure bipolar depression? Bipolar Forum 4
Tawny Depression Bipolar Forum 3
W Parenting - Quarantine - Manic - Depression?? Bipolar Forum 5
F How do you deal with depression that follows a hypomanic episode? Bipolar Forum 7
A Changes in bipolar - not dealing with depression anymore Bipolar Forum 14
D I HAVE A FORTHCOMING CAMPUS FINAL YEAR EXAM depression or ANXIETY... PLZ HELP Bipolar Forum 9
B Had enough of taking meds Bipolar Forum 16
M Antipsychotic meds Bipolar Forum 4
T irrational urges, meds & 24 hrs Bipolar Forum 1
M Bipolar meds Bipolar Forum 21
C Anyone for whom no meds are right? Bipolar Forum 14
G timeline of going off meds? Bipolar Forum 5
K what meds is everyone on? Bipolar Forum 50
N have this fruit in your diet to detox your body from meds/drugs residues Bipolar Forum 12
G going off meds cold turkey? Bipolar Forum 17
starfoxxy90 So many different meds..over 20 years .. Bipolar Forum 1
B Withdrawal and timing of meds Bipolar Forum 2
V Long read: a magma of meds and confusion, need advice or comfort Bipolar Forum 1
G No Meds Bipolar Forum 11
manicmonday Swapping meds from Risperidone to Lithium Bipolar Forum 5
N Has she taken her meds Bipolar Forum 2
T Hypomanic and on no meds. Starting Seroquel today. Bipolar Forum 12
Justafriend95 New meds Bipolar Forum 5
SlowlyUnravels How does it feel after the meds work? Bipolar Forum 7
P Really down about things and meds Bipolar Forum 2
M Mania Management without Meds Bipolar Forum 29
M good meds for mania? Bipolar Forum 6
A Mania while on lots of sedative meds Bipolar Forum 4
HLon99 Drinking on Bipolar Meds Bipolar Forum 2