• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Struggling with bloating and hydration in recovery

E

em177

So I started eating disorder recovery about two weeks ago, and I’ve had a lot of ups and downs. First of all, my stomach is always so bloated from the amount of food I’m eating and it makes me feel like I’be gained a ton of weight. I have body dysmorphia, so it is super stressful dealing with all the gas and bloating. Also drinking water adds to the bloating and makes my stomach bigger, so I know I’m not getting the amount of water I need, but I can’t bring myself to drink more. Anyone know how long this bloating will last, or how to minimize it? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

babyblue22

babyblue22

My water bloating lasted a few weeks until I started taking vitamins with more magnesium in. With the consent of my doctor first. Helped me with my body dysmorphia as it stopped the bloating which helped me get stronger xx

P

Purpleplum

If your body is pencil thin, then it makes your abdomen more noticeable when you have food or water in it. Plus your body is still in trauma, not knowing when it will get food/water next and wanting to hold onto it for survival. When you start eating/drinking normally on a regular basis, it will adjust.