• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

struggling--no support at home

M

Mastiff mom

Today isn't going well. My in home therapist didn't show and I really needed to talk with her. It's the second time she's done this but the thought of finding a new therapist makes me want to pull the hair out of my head! I have an appointment today later to be assessed for a dual diagnosis group. Dreading that. I do intermittently abuse drugs but I can rarely get any. I just don't want to feel the way I feel! And I really hate groups! I feel so uncomfortable in them. And an element in my life that is really painful is my husband's attitude toward me and my illness. He puts me down, blames normal mishaps on my bipolar tells me it's hard to love such a damaged person. He puts down my looks since I have gained weight with the meds. Just too much! IMHO he needs education and therapy. I need to work on myself and believe I am value able, love able and worthwhile no matter what he says. It's a daily struggle. I have thought of leaving but I'm afraid I can't make it on my own in many ways. I just need some support from someone who understands. Thank you guys.

N

Nicola398

Hello Mastiff mum,:)I think it is mean of your husband to put you down because of the bipolar and your looks.
Have you thought he may be doing it because he is jealous and scared someone else will steal you away?
Some men see off the competition by chipping away at their partner's self esteem and confidence the way your husband is doing to you.I do know how scary it can be to think of living and coping on your own when you have been used to having him around.But hey, you have to get him to stop beating up on you and criticizing your looks.Too right it is painful and it is probably due in a large part to his own insecurities that he is doing it.I know how scary groups are too, I have an art group starting up in September, the closer it gets to the 9th, the more nervous I am feeling, I know two days before I will start panicking and want to pull out.I hope have the courage to face it this time.

M

Mastiff mom

Thank you Nocola for your support. It really helps. Plus I have to tell you I love your Monroe avatar.

Grape

Grape

That must be so hard to have to deal with what your husband says to you. It would upset me a lot. Im sorry you feel you cannot leave him. I hope things improve for you soon.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Yes you are worthwhile, and good, don't let your husband or anyone tell you anything else.

Be kind to yourself and nurture the goodness.

It's a struggle, just keep posting for support.

KS
xxxx

T

tiltawhirl3

I am going to call it out for what it is: ABUSE

and abuse destroys, even if it remains verbal.

Some of the best counseling I had was free domestic violence counseling.
They can really help you see how this is effecting you and help you find paths to a healthier you.