• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Struggling because of my depression

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya,
i'm a mature student and i am really struggling to stick with it just now. I just want to quit and go to my bed for a week. Feel like i just can't function right now. I am so tired and just want to shut myself away again. I'm too ashamed to tell my friends. I am on antidepressants, have been for a few years now. Before that i was in and out of hospital since i was 15. My family do nothing to help me. I have a counsellor.
Everything is such a struggle right now.
I am losing interest in college. I have taken 2 days off. I was on the sick for years but they stopped my incapacity benefit and said i'm fit to work. Yet i'm only 18 hours in college i can just barely manage that.

Pixie

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Hi Pixie,

Sorry to hear you are feeling like that. Quick question - do your lecturers know about your situation? Maybe you could get an extension to any deadlines you have coming up and take it easy for a while.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya,
thankyou. Yeah my lecturers all know. There is strict deadlines. Maybe i'm just going to have to have to say for the 1st time i need more time right now. I think i'm going to have to go to gp and get my meds upped again too. I don't know.

Pixie

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi, I was a mature student a few years ago and was having a depressive episode. My uni was very understanding and although I didn't need extra time, I know that I would have been allowed it had I asked, despite as you say, very strict deadlines normally.

I think going to your GP is a good idea. Also is there a counsellor at your college? Apart from the counselling, they can be useful for helping to put academic support in place.

I hope things work out for you.

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

I am sure they will understand Pixie. You have nothing to lose by asking. Good luck.

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya,
thankyou very much for the support. I've popped up to college and spoken to my learning support worker. She's phoning my tutor about this and shes going to get someone one to help me focus on my homework on a wednesday at college. I have my own counsellor but shes been off quite a bit recently. Shes back on monday. If i don't improve soon i'll have to go see my gp. :)

pixie :)

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Sounds like progress. :)

Pixie37

Pixie37

Hiya,
i left college on friday. Something happened and i just had enough and left because i can't cope with it anymore. Very upset here i go again. I'm back to square one and i don't feel 'fit' to work. Don't know what to do but relieved i don't have all the stress and pressure of college. :unsure:

pixie

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Stress is no good. I hope it all works out for you.