• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Struggling badly with my depression with a 4 year old

LolaMontez

LolaMontez

This is my first post here, so I’m a little nervous! But the last few months my mental health has been going down the drain quite rapidly, and just under a month ago, me and my partner of 6 years broke up. Dealing with him moving out, not seeing my 4 year old son every day, not having any confidence/body confidence in myself as we both got “comfortable” in the relationship, not being at work due to the doctors signing me off for nearly 9 weeks now, work was stupidly stressful before being signed off as I’m a senior carer and the care home had covid, AND the whole covid situation in general, it’s all becoming a bit too much. The doctors have upped my dosage of antidepressants, but they aren’t helping at all.
I’m 25, and have always isolated myself in previous “breakdowns”, but this time it’s so much worse as for half the week, I don’t have my boy keeping me going.
I suppose I’m posting this because I’d like to get a thread going for parents, both mums and dads, who struggle with their mental health, and maybe feel like there’s a bit of extra support out there for people maybe in the same boat...

Tawny

Tawny

Taking a break
Welcome, there are many other parents on the forum so you are not alone.

This sounds like it is time for you to rest, get better, get healthy, look after yourself and so then very soon, you can be a well mum again.

My only advice, as someone who has depression often, is to get up in the morning, eat breakfast, get dressed and get out for a short walk. It is so important, essential even, to get that sunlight and get the blood pumping.

Keep talking and we can all help each other through this.

Do you see your son at all?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hiya x welcome x it must be hard from seeing your son everyday to then not be x
Tawny gives great advise all i will add is we really do care and please keep posting x Lu x

M

Msy

This is my first post here, so I’m a little nervous! But the last few months my mental health has been going down the drain quite rapidly, and just under a month ago, me and my partner of 6 years broke up. Dealing with him moving out, not seeing my 4 year old son every day, not having any confidence/body confidence in myself as we both got “comfortable” in the relationship, not being at work due to the doctors signing me off for nearly 9 weeks now, work was stupidly stressful before being signed off as I’m a senior carer and the care home had covid, AND the whole covid situation in general, it’s all becoming a bit too much. The doctors have upped my dosage of antidepressants, but they aren’t helping at all.
I’m 25, and have always isolated myself in previous “breakdowns”, but this time it’s so much worse as for half the week, I don’t have my boy keeping me going.
I suppose I’m posting this because I’d like to get a thread going for parents, both mums and dads, who struggle with their mental health, and maybe feel like there’s a bit of extra support out there for people maybe in the same boat...

Im not a parent myself but my mother struggled with mental health.
Her kids kept her going and you know what, im so proud to have such an amazing influence in my life that this person still loved and cared for us no matter what she was going through.

Just because youve gone through a split doesnt mean you dont have your boy. He will see one day when hes older and appriciate so much what you have done for him despite what youve been through. And he will feel just as proud as i have with my mum

T

treasurebox

Music helps me. Music therapy or listening to good and uplifting songs in youtube makes me feel and think better.

Also doing what I love to do which is writing helps me too. What do you love to do? What are you good at? Is it cooking, baking, gardening, doing arts and crafts? Do it and it will make you happy and even be successful.

Spend more time with your child as much as you can. Make it memorable. Take pictures.