• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Struggling at Work (U.S.) Need Help and Support

D

DaxxMH

For the majority of the last year my meds and mental health have been interfereing with work. Usually one day out of the work week I'm too tired to really do my job well and I fall asleep at my desk for the first hour or so. It's caused by my medicines and sleep disorders, so it's not a matter of bad habits on my part. I've tried drinking caffeine in the morning, but that usually doesn't work (it's part of my religion to avoid coffee though, so I can't use that). I try to do active tasks first in the morning, but sometimes I'm just too tired and sleepy to do anything but sleep. Also, my work work quality has been suffering while I'm awake because of focusing problems. My mental health problems are very distracting and sometimes make it impossible to focus on work for more than a few seconds at a time. My boss hasn't noticed the focusing problems, but he has noticed the sleeping problems.

My boss sat me down today and baisically said that I can't keep falling asleep on the job. We've tried changing my scheudle so I come in an hour later every day, but I'm afraid I'm at the end of the rope when it comes to accomidations work can provide for me. I'm also making a medicine change that is only going to make the drowsiness worse. I'm very worried that I'm going to lose my job. I feell that I can't just get another job because the same problems will bother me there, and I might not be able to hold down a job. Does anyone have any advice to help me with this? If I do lose my job, what then? I can apply for un-employment, but will disabilty accept me? My church can help support me, so I won't end up homeless. I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be very much welcome.

JessisMe

JessisMe

If you go to sleep earlier at night say right after dinner would that help? What about using an energy drink like RedBull, etc...to try to power through the sleepiness? Disability might be an option for you depending on your diagnosis. It amounts to very little though and can take quite a bit of work to get. I wonder if your boss would support you taking a medical leave to try to get your situation managed better and your sleep/wake schedule more under control. US companies with fifty or more employees have to provide an FMLA option by law I went on FMLA (family medical leave act) first and then longer term disability ended up being the best option later. The FMLA provides up to three months paid medical leave each full time employee. I hope this helps! xo, j