• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

struggling again

C

cant_carry_on

Everything seems to be such a struggle right now and it feels as though I've hit an all time low, my ESA is going to be stopped so I will have only my DLA to live on, I have been having really strong suicidal feelings and my sh urges are back and stronger than ever.
I moved home when my friend kicked me out so that I could gain more support from my family and other friends, things have been very up and down up until now when they are so bad that most days I can't even get out of bed and when I do just doing the smallest of tasks is so difficult and tiring that i end up sleeping for the next few hours however hard I try to fight it.
I have been struggling to even manage walking my dog which isn't fair on him or my mum as she is then left to walk him.

They really don't seem to care about the impact on the person claiming benefits when they can do things like this to them, just because you can't see the disability shouldn't make you any less entiteled to things.

Enpi

Enpi

Hi
I'm really sorry that you're suffering like that. I'm not much better myself right now. They come all of a sudden; the depression, the suicidal thoughts, the urge to cut. We just have to fight them. We can't give up. :hug:

B

blankhead

You should try working for the department that deals with benefits. Stress is a daily occurence. Mental health affects people who have no choice but to work and then deal with the aftermath!

blankhead

C

cant_carry_on

I understand that it must be difficult for the people working in the benefits office etc but that doesn't change the impact that people get from there decisions.

I would love to be able to go out to work and be under pressure to get things done, I never thought that at nearly 24 I would be stuck in the place I am now, barely able to cope with managing the basic everyday tasks that people manage to do all the time. As much as alot of people even some of my friends think I'm not choosing to be like this I don't choose to be unable to work etc its just the unfortunate place that I have found myself.

I have suffered from depression since I was 14 and up until about 3yrs ago managed to hold down a full time job, I can no longer go back to the job I used to do partly due to my mental health issues, finding that out didn't help matters but I tried to move on and I got another job but when the company restructured I lost my job and it wasn't until about 6months after that when things started to get really bad, up until that point I was still actively looking for work.

I realise that the government want people back into work and off benefits but it really feels like people with mental health problems are being penalised due to the new system.

If your GP signs you off as unable to work yet the dr that has only ever seen you once for 30miins says your fit to work what are you meant to do, surely your GP knows whats better for you after all they have seen you through the ups and downs.

Sorry for rambling needed to get it all out

B

blankhead

ESA

ESA was introduced to replace Incapacity benefit for New claimants. I know it may be of little comfort to you but as I understand it if you are on Incapacity benefit you should stay on this. For people who obviously cannot work there will be no change to their benefit. The new ESA is split into 2 parts, one to help people back into work and one to support people who cannot work. I suggest you ring your local benefit enquiry line as it is their job to explain everything to you. It is usually an 0845 number but in most offices you can ask for a callback.

I am sorry if this is of no help to you.

A

Apotheosis

The new ESA is split into 2 parts, one to help people back into work and one to support people who cannot work.
What about those that are trying to get well; & can/want to manage limited work, to test the waters, & need support doing this, but don't want added pressure of being in the 'work group', but be able to comfortably go back & forth, if needs be, between limited work & benefits?

What about those who are going to be forced into the 'work group' & who will be made ill from it?

Is it either - forced to work; or written off!!?? - great choice - great system. Pfffft.

B

blankhead

reply to esa

It is not my fault, I was only trying to help. I can't help it if I work for them. There is helpout there if you want to work but I am not prepared to be a benefit advisor on this site. If you want to work go and find out how. There are options for all. I was on incapacity benefit before I got this job so that shows people can do it. Don't blame the people who work there, blame the government who make up these schemes!:mad:

J

jamesdean

In all fairness blankhead you decided to identify yourself has to be working for the system, and you have quite tried to defend the service just like the girls do in tescos on the check outs.

I certainly wouldnt be proud of working in the service and I wouldnt want to advertise the fact that this is one up from being on ic, i understand that the pay and conditions are very poor its no wonder your mh suffers ans so for that reason I'm pleased you have found us for support of your mh and I hope that you find all that you want form this forum n that is not meant sarcastic.

I have wanted to play devils advocate on this forum and say that I agree this country does need welfare reform because some how its totally abused by so many, though like always in life its the wrong people that seem to be treated wrongly but I wouldnt want to be a policeman for the system. If only there was a sure way of getting the right people that are abusing the system though I have heard in the past that the goverment know most of the large scale fraudsters though thay are frightened of thses groups n possaiblt they have a hand in the fraud. so lets upset the litttle people whilst out to lunch with all the tax evaders this fucking country is so "double standards, all that will happen if they take the very people that need welfare of their benefit it will just cost even more on the nhs budget because people will be caracking up because it will be impossiable for them to function in this world.

You are right blankhead blame the goverment, though I dont think anyone person should be balmed purnell was just the frontman there must be extensive discussions idea's and lots of people behind the scene who must have a hand in this welfare reform its wanted by all the parties, I could be wrong n maybe it is just a result of purnells ideas.

I dont really have any faith in any of the parties I should be a libs dem man but I liked charles kennedy I think nick cleg looks like he could do with a good wash.

You see the thing that I have to admit david cameron could possiablt fool me because I believe he is honest, I really dont like gordon n I hated tony blair how no one could see he was the anti christ is beyond me it does seem to me like has if torys really ARE THE New labour n new labour ARE the torys in disgusise.
Perhaps are totally wrong and I have been to out spoken

I'm trying noe to worry about it all n when my time comes I can get the right support and I would try to say to everyone if you are genuine fight it all the way because thats the only way that you will get a fair trial.
This thread certainly is such a greta help n support and makes you want to fight, keep up the good work everyone its great

Last edited: