• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

stretching hands?

J

jodie20

has anyone in here experienced a need to frequently strech there fingers and then clench them.

i have been doing it the last couple of days, the only other time its happened was during my drug taking days.

saying that i have felt very euphoric lately to.

what could this mean?

D

Dollit

Jodie that could really mean absolutely anything. It's one thing you've noticed recently but it doesn't have to mean anything. I do that when it's cold but it's just because it's cold. If you're really worried chat to your GP or the nurse at the surgery. Do you worry that this could be part of something bigger?

J

jodie20

i'm not really worried, but my hands are actually hurting now but i cant seem to stop, sometimes its in my feet, jaw and upper arms aswell.

my mom has said about me staring alot more lately too. i havn't really noticed it myself, she says i'm just staring at nothing for ages without blinking.

shes quite worried.

D

Dollit

The staring can be a stress response. There's something called the Antarctic Stare which is known as the 12 ft stare in the 10 ft room. I do this a lot under stressful conditions.

But both you and your mum sound concerned so perhaps a trip to the GP or the psych is a good thing to think about? It will put your mind at rest at least.

J

jodie20

Yup, ur right, going to see the cpn wednesday for an assessment, rally dnt wanna go but my mom wont let me drop out lol

J

jodie20

LOL u got a long way to come from bristol, i wont anyway, i need to get to the bottom of this!
its doing my nut in...... lol

D

Dollit

Try searching for mindfulness podcasts on iTunes - it's a good way of living in the moment and does help reduce stress. I've been practising it for a while. Recommended to me by my consultant who gave me the CD and it's one of the best gifts I ever had.

J

jodie20

oh ok cool, is it like guided meditation sort of stuff or music??

D

Dollit

It's guided meditation. I have 40 minute sessions on CD but the podcasts are about 12-15 minutes. I never believed it could work but it's simple and very liberating.

J

jodie20

ok thanx, where is the best place to get em from, any particular ones u recommend??

D

Danage

Coping strategies

My granny, who works in a unit, suggested listening to music as a coping strategy. It might work for you too, although meditating could be a good strategy (I've never tried it myself, but it could be a matter of personal preference).

D

Dollit

I don't know if minfulness podcasts are available widely on the internet but there are many on iTunes or you can buy a CD from www.bangor.ac.uk/mindfulness. I use ones from Bangor - they just work well for me and they were a gift.

J

jodie20

thanx, will get a cd when i get paid n i will let u know what i think.

i've really tried hard to learn to meditate, but know matter how hard i try i cannot control my thoughts.

D

Dollit

Mindfulness isn't about controlling your thoughts. If you have a thought come into your head you just let it wander round and it goes on it's own. It's when you try to suppress thoughts they take over. If you've got the CD on in the background and listen and do what they say the thoughts do quieten - or at least that's what I've found.