• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

STRESS: a Chemical Input?

amathus

amathus

When do you think there should be a chemical input to ease symptoms of stress?
How could you change you're lifestyle to avoid this?

meteos.

ally41

ally41

Personally I think never, unless you are an immediate danger to yourself or others and then it should only be a temporary solution.

Why are you stressed? Surely it is better to try and understand what needs to change, rather than just shutting up the parts that are distressed with meds? Isn't that really disrespectful to those parts? They are asking to be heard, not just suppressed with meds or alcohol or drugs.

R

Roger Waldram

Stress management

I seem to remember 'stress is the body's normal response to the threat of harm or loss' from 'Which' Way to Avoid Stress years ago.
If you Google Holmes & Rahe you'll find their stress scale that has been challenged 'cos we don't all respond to stressors in the same way.
Aerobic exercise will change adrenaline & noradrenaline (the stress hormones for flight or fight) into endorphin-like the recent research about outdoor walks.
Fritz Perls (gestalt psychotherapy) said 'breathe and feel the excitement'-that's a good way to be calm when we're anxious & stressed-that's diaphragmatic breathing or belly breathing or yoga breathing.
It is bad news generally to treat normal our normal response with external drugs though herbal stuff can help BUT check if you're already on medication.
For me I walk everyday with me dog, keep a journal in which I discuss things with myself (a way of becoming your own best friend) & use a singing bowl for relaxation & meditation.
Talking to someone also helps-hope some of this helps,
Roger