Strategies to Stop Cycling Worries?

O

oncedivided

Hey MHF~ I'm new at the site so, *waves and all that. I apologise for jumping right in here with a question, lol.

Has anyone got any success stories/strategies for stopping endlessly looping/escalating anxieties? Worries about student loans and debts and bailiffs and courts and life and... you get the idea. For the record; I'm actually writing this for someone else, although I've had a fair bit of experience myself with the mental health system over the years (hospitalized, treated, psyched, counselled, medicated; you name it lol). If this is okay, I wanted to get a straw poll of different stories and strategies that works for people dealing with endless worries (the kind that just instantly transpose themselves onto the next thing, and the next, and that you can never 'prove wrong').

I've found that the general CBT approach - for me, anyway - of writing down a sort of pro and con/evidence for and against a belief to be really UNHELPFUL: all of the evidence 'against' can be disproved, endlessly...

Anyway - sorry about the rather complicated ask - I hope that together, we can share some inspiring/useful stories, tips, and distraction methods!

In solidarity~

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

Hey MHF~ I'm new at the site so, *waves and all that. I apologise for jumping right in here with a question, lol.

Has anyone got any success stories/strategies for stopping endlessly looping/escalating anxieties? Worries about student loans and debts and bailiffs and courts and life and... you get the idea. For the record; I'm actually writing this for someone else, although I've had a fair bit of experience myself with the mental health system over the years (hospitalized, treated, psyched, counselled, medicated; you name it lol). If this is okay, I wanted to get a straw poll of different stories and strategies that works for people dealing with endless worries (the kind that just instantly transpose themselves onto the next thing, and the next, and that you can never 'prove wrong').

I've found that the general CBT approach - for me, anyway - of writing down a sort of pro and con/evidence for and against a belief to be really UNHELPFUL: all of the evidence 'against' can be disproved, endlessly...

Anyway - sorry about the rather complicated ask - I hope that together, we can share some inspiring/useful stories, tips, and distraction methods!

In solidarity~
Yeah I started smoking weed

Anxiety levels have been 0 on every scale, ever since.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Welcome to the forum, there are many strategies for combating anxiety, I personally got nothing from CBT or DBT but found REBT to be the most sucessfull in ways of combatting panick attacks, extream social anxiety, agorophobia and obsessive thoughts of past trauma's. I find yoga and breathing excersizes centered on the main chakra centers helpfull and meditational music loops at night to help against insomnia as well, in public I use stop thought exercises a lot and staying in the moment exercises calm my anxiety down.
Check this toolkit and see if you find something usefull for you. SMART Recovery® - Tool Chest and Homework

Last edited:
O

oncedivided

Thanks for the replies Borderlinedownunder, Gajolene -

I too managed to harvest very little from CBT and DBT-like work (they called it Emotional Coping Group Support over here) but i'm sure that they work for some people. I like what you mentioned about 'thought-stopping' strategies - is that like distraction techniques? At the moment trying the AWARE thing, but wondering if there is something a little deeper into mindfulness techniques that might be out there?

Another option - as ridiculous as it sounds - is Betablockers? Now, they generally don't do crap for me at all (I get a better rush from taking vitamin C), but I heard somewhere that, if taken in times of acute distress they may help to prevent your brain from overloading on adrenaline, cortisol, and all that? Anyone else heard of anything like that?

(How, how I wish for my Ativan prescription back... *sigh)

Lol, Borderlinedownunder - I wish that I could squash anxiety just as easily as that, but weed always made me paranoid.

K

Kayleigh.

Yeah I started smoking weed

Anxiety levels have been 0 on every scale, ever since.
I've smoked weed and it can go either way for me, it either calms me down or makes my anxiety a lot worse :/ I suppose it depends on the strain.

Something I've learned to do is to view these worries/stories in my head like dreams. Thoughts aren't real. They're real thoughts obviously but they aren't reality. If you have a nightmare you'll wake up in relief and think "that was just a dream, it wasn't real" I try and do the same with catastrophising thoughts. Once I realise what my mind is doing I try and snap myself out of it and think "that was just a thought, it wasn't real"

Try and learn to live in the present moment. Is anything bad happening right now? Look around at what's actually happening. Right now I'm typing this out, I can hear my fan humming and I'm chewing a chewing gum. Nothing bad is happening right now.

BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I've smoked weed and it can go either way for me, it either calms me down or makes my anxiety a lot worse :/ I suppose it depends on the strain.

Something I've learned to do is to view these worries/stories in my head like dreams. Thoughts aren't real. They're real thoughts obviously but they aren't reality. If you have a nightmare you'll wake up in relief and think "that was just a dream, it wasn't real" I try and do the same with catastrophising thoughts. Once I realise what my mind is doing I try and snap myself out of it and think "that was just a thought, it wasn't real"

Try and learn to live in the present moment. Is anything bad happening right now? Look around at what's actually happening. Right now I'm typing this out, I can hear my fan humming and I'm chewing a chewing gum. Nothing bad is happening right now.
:hug: anxiety sounds like hell on earth.

E

Ellie-CBT

I read some of the responses and understand how difficult being worried is. I would like to suggest a simple technique that I usually use with my patients. It "let's call it "worry time". Simply allow a certain time during the day for half hour and call it worry time. It's better to be the same time every day and not at night close to bed time
A time that you can spend. Any time during the day worries come to your mind say "stop" . I think about it in worry time. Start distracting yourself with various activities. You can even make a short note of the worry thought and go back to it on your "worry time". You will see in your worry time the thoughts amd the worries are not even close to the orginal worry and feeling of anxiety. This excercise train the brain to get some control over the worrying habit. It works
Trust me! Just stay with it for a week and see it works better and better hradually. Good luck.

Last edited: