• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Strange OCDs

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Was just reading another thread and got to thinking about what I like to call my little foibles!! Mine are:
I can't have anyone walking on my left side or I go into a panic attack.
I can't sleep if venetian blinds are facing down the way
I can't have anyone else touching food thats on my plate, like taking a chip or whatever.

I've learned to laugh at these now as they're quite easy to avoid. I just wondered if anyone else had any strange little foibles.

A

Ainsworth

i have to have space around me at all times, dont like anyone brushing up against me. flying is a nightmare for me, seats are to close together.

cant have food on my plate touching. or anything wet, like sauces.

hate the colour orange that i avoid food that colour.

have to sleep nearest the window but away from a door

i listen to the same song for hours, (smashing pumpkins atm)

have a fixation on numbers

i remember everyone's conversations and every detail surrounding it

that will do for the time being :tea:

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Oh thats another one of mine, I've got to sleep up against a wall!!

What a strange thing the mind is!! At least you won't forget what people have said to you!!:D

A

Ainsworth

unlucky its a nightmare remembering it all

it takes away brain function and have problems with stupid things like where did i parked my car and oops i forgot to leave the house and no i didnt remember to get any food and nope im sorry i forgot to meet you for a drink and pick the kids up from their friends house.

i have to write everything down and then remember to re-look at it :tea:

gray

gray

Strange OCDs? OCD itself is strange! :p

One of the things I really hate is having to set an alarm clock. I'll set it and then keep playing with the alarm on/off button and keep checking it is set to go off at the right time. Sometimes I will be compelled to set the alarm to go off in the next minute just to make sure it works!
That's not the end though, often I will go to bed and then 15 minutes later get up to check it again, this can happen a few times and it drives me insane! :(

Thankfully my OCD doesn't go that bad in other areas or I'd probably spend the whole day crying. Although in the past I did have it quite bad, but it has subdued somewhat.
Would really hate to have it the most severe though, the people who spend literally hours just making minor adjuments to ornaments etc.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
When I was last in hospital this poor man had to wash his hands every 15 mins, then check his hair was in a quiff. It was so sad. As I said, mine are just foibles!!!

Q

quality factor

Hi, I have two particular foibles which wind me up:

1. I can't bear to see cutlery lying across each other, they have to be side by side.
2.I daren't lie in bed in a straight position, with my arms by my side or across my tummy....reminds me of a coffin.

QF.:scared:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I count things all the time. If im slicing a carrot or cucumber it has to be counted but not continuosly. I get to a certain number say 6 or7 then i start again. I even do it with my shopping and count the items as they go in the bag. It drives me crazy but i cant stop doing it.

The shopping has to be put on the counter in a particular order as well

All the pleats in my curtains have to be exactly even as well.

I have to be able to see round my bedroom at night

My duvet has to be straight and smoothed out. I used to straighten my kids duvets and they would go mad.

And god help anyone who messes with my cutlery drawer:)

gray

gray

The shopping has to be put on the counter in a particular order as well
Depending on what you mean, that's just common sense. Putting your digestive biscuits with your tins for example is nice way to end up with powdered biscuits :D
Also by putting things on the counter in some kind of order, it means you don't have a mad rush of random items being thrown at you and wondering what bag you should put them in. In order to protect the more fragile items e.g. eggs :p

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
I don't let my hubby get near the shopping in the supermarket!! I've got to have all the stuff for the fridge in one bag, the freezer another and the stuff for different cupboards in different bags, it drives him potty!!

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
I guess we all have little quirks to some degree - my mum, for example, has been known to re-peg out my washing because it wasn't done the right way (and I'm the one with problems? :p) Getting to sleep, I would imagine, is a pretty common thing to have rituals about - I like to have a drink of water and some lip salve to hand (I think I've always been quite obsessed by lip salve actually), and I start getting to sleep lying on one side then the other, then back to the original side.

Q

quality factor

I guess we all have little quirks to some degree - my mum, for example, has been known to re-peg out my washing because it wasn't done the right way (and I'm the one with problems? :p) Getting to sleep, I would imagine, is a pretty common thing to have rituals about - I like to have a drink of water and some lip salve to hand (I think I've always been quite obsessed by lip salve actually), and I start getting to sleep lying on one side then the other, then back to the original side.
Hi Rollinat,
I have to giggle, I thought it was only my mum who re-pegged out my washing!!
QF.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Glad I made you laugh QF! I really hope I don't start doing that to my daughters when they're grown up.

S

schizzzoid

Making anagrams of signs...Just in case!:D
Can't post a letter if it's been sealed, it has to be sealed at the letter box.
Counting whatever I'm doing.
Locking the front door, I have to go back and check, and check, and check, as I can't remember doing it... Altho' I've, almost, stopped this one...(y)

A

Ainsworth

i have a really bad number obsession.

i see codes as well, jumbled up things make sense, i remember number plates too.

i would like that to stop

wish i had the checking the door one, i have a habit of forgetting to lock them or even shut them. :(

dont peg my washing out though, use a tumble dryer :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Someone777 Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4