• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

STR?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

anyone else have an STR?

ive been accepted for one but its only for 6 weeks

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i never heard of it so i guess not, what does it stand for?

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

Support, Time and Recovery (STR)

An STR worker is someone who works as part of a team which provides mental health services and focuses directly on the needs of service users. We provide Support, give Time to the service user and by doing so promote your Recovery.

thats what it said on internet

from my understanding im getting one to get me out more

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I've had an STR worker twice.

Once was back in 2010 and whilst her personality wasn't exactly warm and inviting, she did actually help me.
She told me about benefits that I was entitled to (ESA) and helped me through the application and form filling process.
Also, she helped me make plans for what I wanted to do at that time. I told her I was umming and ahhing about a college course, and she encouraged me without putting me under pressure to go for it.
I signed up and looking back, i'm really glad I did that course even though it was challenging at times.

But, more recently (last year) I had an STR worker who was really shit. Again, she wasn't a bundle of joy but she didn't help me at all. She had no knowledge of things and the stuff she did suggest, I knew about anyway.

So yeah, it really does depend on who you get.
Also, while 6 weeks doesn't sound like a long time, they may aim to have more intense sessions of making plans and helping you rather than just having the casual coffee and chat. Though you'll probably still get to do the coffee and chat too.
Anyway, I hope that you get on well with your STR worker. You've got nothing to lose by giving it a go. :)

RainbowHeartz

RainbowHeartz

I've had an STR worker twice.

Once was back in 2010 and whilst her personality wasn't exactly warm and inviting, she did actually help me.
She told me about benefits that I was entitled to (ESA) and helped me through the application and form filling process.
Also, she helped me make plans for what I wanted to do at that time. I told her I was umming and ahhing about a college course, and she encouraged me without putting me under pressure to go for it.
I signed up and looking back, i'm really glad I did that course even though it was challenging at times.

But, more recently (last year) I had an STR worker who was really shit. Again, she wasn't a bundle of joy but she didn't help me at all. She had no knowledge of things and the stuff she did suggest, I knew about anyway.

So yeah, it really does depend on who you get.
Also, while 6 weeks doesn't sound like a long time, they may aim to have more intense sessions of making plans and helping you rather than just having the casual coffee and chat. Though you'll probably still get to do the coffee and chat too.
Anyway, I hope that you get on well with your STR worker. You've got nothing to lose by giving it a go. :)
wow thanks SS :) im glad the first one helped you :)

D

Dottyone

Support, Time and Recovery (STR)

An STR worker is someone who works as part of a team which provides mental health services and focuses directly on the needs of service users. We provide Support, give Time to the service user and by doing so promote your Recovery.

thats what it said on internet

from my understanding im getting one to get me out more
I hope your support worker is lovely, I just got one tooo lol.