Stopping Seroquel and Latuda cold turkey.

S

spiritfriend

I decided to stop taking the medications now. I don't have a doctor yet because I don't have health insurance right now. But I read terrifying stuff about Seroquel. One person mentioned getting brain damage after taking it and feeling complete apathy. I'm afraid that I might have the same thing because I've been feeling numb these past few months and it's getting worse.

I don't think Latuda is being given in Germany, so I'm quitting it.

Right now I'm on 300 mg Seroquel, and 120 mg for Latuda. I have been taking these pills for about one and a half years. I can't handle this anymore. I want to quit taking them right now.

I don't know if it's a good idea. I don't know what's going to happen. But I am tired of these medications. Seroquel used to put me to sleep, and now it doesn't do anything. I'm dealing with insomnia now and I didn't have this back when I wasn't taking seroquel. So I don't know why they even gave me this shit for sleeping.

I am very upset right now. I don't want to keep taking this poison. This is bullshit.

C

Coast2

Well make sure you look after your health with a good diet and exercise regime. You'll need to support your body as it adjusts to life without medication.

Get out and walk every day and eat plenty of nutritious fresh food.

I really wish you luck spirit friend. I've reduced my risperidone medication from 6mg per day to 0.5mg per day. Next month I'll be medication free.

I graft hard for my good health though. I run 5 mornings a week before work, and I swim,go to the gym and do yoga in the evenings. The exercise produces the happy hormones that my mind needs.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi spiritfriend.

Do you think quitting cold turkey is a good idea?Although I have never taken the medications you have,tapering off anything always seems the wisest way to go.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I decided to stop taking the medications now. I don't have a doctor yet because I don't have health insurance right now. But I read terrifying stuff about Seroquel. One person mentioned getting brain damage after taking it and feeling complete apathy. I'm afraid that I might have the same thing because I've been feeling numb these past few months and it's getting worse.

I don't think Latuda is being given in Germany, so I'm quitting it.

Right now I'm on 300 mg Seroquel, and 120 mg for Latuda. I have been taking these pills for about one and a half years. I can't handle this anymore. I want to quit taking them right now.

I don't know if it's a good idea. I don't know what's going to happen. But I am tired of these medications. Seroquel used to put me to sleep, and now it doesn't do anything. I'm dealing with insomnia now and I didn't have this back when I wasn't taking seroquel. So I don't know why they even gave me this shit for sleeping.

I am very upset right now. I don't want to keep taking this poison. This is bullshit.
The only precaution I would offer is that you need to find something to help you sleep either over the counter or prescription from the Dr. Because when I stopped taking 400mg of seroquel it made me manic and I couldn't sleep for days afterwards. I agree its a better to taper off. I was offered latuda but I refused it because it can increase prolactin levels. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you stop taking seroquel abruptly you might be in for a few long nights of insomnia.

S

spiritfriend

Hi spiritfriend.

Do you think quitting cold turkey is a good idea?Although I have never taken the medications you have,tapering off anything always seems the wisest way to go.
I called a clinic to ask about this, and they told me it's best to taper off. Tomorrow I will have to call there again because they said I'm able to speak with a psychiatrist there. I will ask her what to do. Right now I decided to taper off the medication instead of just stopping it.

S

spiritfriend

The only precaution I would offer is that you need to find something to help you sleep either over the counter or prescription from the Dr. Because when I stopped taking 400mg of seroquel it made me manic and I couldn't sleep for days afterwards. I agree its a better to taper off. I was offered latuda but I refused it because it can increase prolactin levels. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you stop taking seroquel abruptly you might be in for a few long nights of insomnia.
Thank you. I am tapering off of Seroquel and Latuda now. I took a lower dosage of it last night.

Did you also feel apathy on seroquel? That's how I feel right now. I think it's because of seroquel. I can't cry. I can't feel excitement. Nothing. I cried a bit after my darling cat passed away. But not enough. I want to cry more but something is blocking my emotions.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Thank you. I am tapering off of Seroquel and Latuda now. I took a lower dosage of it last night.

Did you also feel apathy on seroquel? That's how I feel right now. I think it's because of seroquel. I can't cry. I can't feel excitement. Nothing. I cried a bit after my darling cat passed away. But not enough. I want to cry more but something is blocking my emotions.
I'm sorry to hear about your cat passing. My condolences.

Seroquel is to me more like a tranquilizer than an antipsychotic. It makes me kinda numb. When I first started on 200mg it would put me to sleep (sometimes more than 24 hours straight) my sister would often wake me up to make sure I was still alive I'd slept so long. Eventually I got used to it and it was raised 300 then 400mg. At 400mg my shrink didn't think I was therapeutic (I suspect she thought I wasn't compliant) so she switched me to invega sustenna injection Max dosage every 2 weeks, but that had to stop because its supposed to be administered 1x a month. Then later went on haldol 20mg but that gave me tardive dyskenesia. Now I'm on 2 APs, seroquel 600mg and perphenazine 8mg. The seroquel still makes me numb but I am able to cry HOWEVER its usually at inappropriate times such as watching a funny movie, and sometimes I laugh at things that aren't funny. I do wonder if I have pseudo bulbar affect as that causes laughter or tears at inappropriate times. I lack interest in activities that I once loved but cant seem to find the motivation to do them. I'm even to lazy to play video games lately. Its kind of a double edged sword. When I'm unwell I want meds to "cure" me but when I'm well I miss the way I was, I miss my voices. Crazy right? But they've been with me since I was 5 or 6 (I'll be 35 on the 9th. Sorry i sort of rambled a bit.

S

spiritfriend

I'm sorry to hear about your cat passing. My condolences.

Seroquel is to me more like a tranquilizer than an antipsychotic. It makes me kinda numb. When I first started on 200mg it would put me to sleep (sometimes more than 24 hours straight) my sister would often wake me up to make sure I was still alive I'd slept so long. Eventually I got used to it and it was raised 300 then 400mg. At 400mg my shrink didn't think I was therapeutic (I suspect she thought I wasn't compliant) so she switched me to invega sustenna injection Max dosage every 2 weeks, but that had to stop because its supposed to be administered 1x a month. Then later went on haldol 20mg but that gave me tardive dyskenesia. Now I'm on 2 APs, seroquel 600mg and perphenazine 8mg. The seroquel still makes me numb but I am able to cry HOWEVER its usually at inappropriate times such as watching a funny movie, and sometimes I laugh at things that aren't funny. I do wonder if I have pseudo bulbar affect as that causes laughter or tears at inappropriate times. I lack interest in activities that I once loved but cant seem to find the motivation to do them. I'm even to lazy to play video games lately. Its kind of a double edged sword. When I'm unwell I want meds to "cure" me but when I'm well I miss the way I was, I miss my voices. Crazy right? But they've been with me since I was 5 or 6 (I'll be 35 on the 9th. Sorry i sort of rambled a bit.
Thank you. :hug:

I see. It's tough isn't it? For me, Seroquel used to put me right to sleep. But as time went on, I had to go on higher dosages to get to sleep because seroquel just stopped working for me. I feel like I'm made of stone right now. I can't feel anything at all. I read about seroquel causing someone brain damage and I'm afraid that this will happen to me. They said after their brain damage, they became numb and emotionless, and I don't want to have that. Medications scare me. I understand we need to find the right ones, but it's so hard to. I hope I can get my emotions back. I'm actually a very emotional person. I don't feel like myself right now.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. On the subject of finding the right meds there is now a DNA test that can determine which medicines work best for you, not just psych meds but pain pills etc etc etc. If you don't have health insurance its supposed to be rather expensive. My old pdoc wanted me to have one done but then she remembered that I don't have insurance. Might be a good idea to ask your Dr at your next visit. I actually don't mind seroquel so much. When it kicks in it makes me feel a little spacy. You might also see if you can get trazodone, its an anti depressant that also serves as a sleep aid.

S

spiritfriend

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. On the subject of finding the right meds there is now a DNA test that can determine which medicines work best for you, not just psych meds but pain pills etc etc etc. If you don't have health insurance its supposed to be rather expensive. My old pdoc wanted me to have one done but then she remembered that I don't have insurance. Might be a good idea to ask your Dr at your next visit. I actually don't mind seroquel so much. When it kicks in it makes me feel a little spacy. You might also see if you can get trazodone, its an anti depressant that also serves as a sleep aid.
Thank you. I'll have to look into that.
I tried trazodone. It didn't work. :(

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Have you tried taking melatonin for sleep? That's what they gave me on the psych ward and it did the trick. Better still its available over the counter.

S

spiritfriend

Have you tried taking melatonin for sleep? That's what they gave me on the psych ward and it did the trick. Better still its available over the counter.
I have thought about trying that. I don't know if they have it over here in Germany though.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

I should think its available over there. Afterall its supposedly all natural. I have thought about taking some myself but I am on enough psych drugs as it is (7 different meds a day)

S

spiritfriend

I should think its available over there. Afterall its supposedly all natural. I have thought about taking some myself but I am on enough psych drugs as it is (7 different meds a day)
I'll have to check.

Seven different meds?! I couldn't handle that. I hope you're doing well. You are doing okay, are you?

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Yeah I'm doing well for the most part. Thanks for asking. I have been having some difficult days lately though. I thought about going to the hospital last week because I was having a panic attack because I didn't feel right. But I'm feeling good today. I started eating more, when I'm ill I usually don't eat. Yeah I take 7 meds.

Seroquel 600mg • antipsychotic
Perphenazine. 8mg • antipsychotic
Benztropine 4mg • lessens side effects
sertraline 100mg • antidepressant
trazodone 100mg • antidepressant & sleep
lamotrigine 50mg • mood stabilizer
Hydroxyzine 100mg • anxiety

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Well I dis a little googling just for sh**s and giggles and I found the following

Here is a list of countries where you will not find over the counter sales of melatonin supplements. These countries have also banned its importation. They include Australia, Greece, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany, Austria, Belgium, South Africa, Iceland, and France.

The article had also listed that Canada has banned melatonin because of the risk of viruses being transmitted due to the supplement being made from animal products. This I did not know. It did say that some countries may carry it by prescription though. Apparently the US is one of the only places you can get it because the FDA doesn't consider it a drug but rather a supplement.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Wow, I was thinking of trying melatonin because I have chronic sleep problems, but now I think maybe I shouldn't if so many places have banned it. Maybe it's not good for me.

S

spiritfriend

My mom called a psychiatrist and now they want to give me another (probably useless) medication. I don't know which one. But I'm lowering my dosages of Latuda and Seroquel. Couldn't sleep well last night either. Today I feel like I have no energy. I'm so over these medications.

Not_Crazy_Yet

Not_Crazy_Yet

Wow, I was thinking of trying melatonin because I have chronic sleep problems, but now I think maybe I shouldn't if so many places have banned it. Maybe it's not good for me.
Yeah idk whether its really bad for you or not. The psych hospital in Atlanta gave it to all patients, at least they did on the substance abuse ward. Maybe that's why they gave it to us since most of us were detoxing as well as having MH issues. I was lead to believe it was all natural. And it is. . . Sort of. I looked it up, its made from the pineal gland of an animals brain.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Holy Crap ! So if I take melatonin, I'm eating part of an animals brain !?!? ..............cool.......
I ate brains once when we visited my grandparents as a child. My sisters refused but I tried it.