• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Stopping meds

jax

jax

I have been so depressed for weeks and now I feel amazing. I am stopping my medication. I started on Sunday night. Halved my depakote and I feel wonderful. I was so sedated on that. Haloperidol has been stopped totally. Lithium has been halfed and my seroquel has been halved. I feel better than I have felt for agggges. I do get high very quick when I stop medication - but I don't mind that. I am sick of feeling depressed.

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hey Jax - is it supervised medication reduction or are you just doing it on your own? Hope that you are going to be o.k

Take Care
KS

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I hope you are ok doing that Jax you were so poorly some months back. I can't talk though I'm always battling with myself over meds.
Take care.
KP:hug:

jax

jax

KS - I am coming off them myself. I know I am probably silly to do this KP - as you are right - I was so sick in the summer and had a 3 month inpatient - but I am sick of the depression.

M

mad as a hatter

jax

u sure ur doing the right thing sounds like ur going go manic i know that feelings i,ve stopped meds 2 in the past u don,t want another hospital stay be careful and think about what ur doing i know the depression real bad for u i understand that hope ur going be ok tho take care maah

jax

jax

Thanks MAH **hugs** I think I will just stay off my medicine for a short while - have a high for a while and then go back on them. Thanks for your concern. x x

M

mad as a hatter

jax

i don,t think it works llike that either tho but hey all i can say is enjoy the high while it lasts but please take care ur self 2

Gail

Gail

number times i have done this it ends badly normally in a hospital. I f you must stop meds at least talk it over with your cpn/pdoc. You dont want to end up back in hospital do you or do you

oneday

oneday

Hi jax

Just saw your posting; I've posted the kind of info below elsewhere:

If you're going to be coming off or educing psychiatric drugs I'd suggest checking out the two online resources below:

1) The 'Coming Off Psychiatric Medication' website: www.comingoff.com (it's put together by professionals and service users/survivors).

2) Mind also produces a booklet that's available to print/download from their website: www.mind.org.uk It's called 'Making Sense of Coming Off Psychiatric Drugs', and you can also buy a printed version from them.

I'm not medically qualified, but used to work for a mental health information service. It's my best understanding that a slow and steady withdrawal from psychiatric drugs is the best idea, giving your mind and body time to adjust and less chance of adverse withdrawal reactions and and withdrawal 'psychosis', and plan properly, and arm yourself with information, and get as much support as you can.

Anyway, best of luck whatever you choose to do, and yes take care.
Oneday

jax

jax

Of course I don't want to end up in hospital. I just want to not feel depressed.
Thanks oneday for the links.
Jacqui