• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stopping medication

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Does anyone else get thoughts sometimes about stopping your meds to feel your true self for a bit?

I have been on meds for years and I just want to feel what it's like to be off my meds.

I can't do it though because I know that would be the end of me.

G

Girl interupted

Yes because I struggle with my meds stunting my creativity. Sadly I know this would be disastrous, so I don’t.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

Yes because I struggle with my meds stunting my creativity. Sadly I know this would be disastrous, so I don’t.
It's too much of a risk for me also, but I wish I could feel myself without medication. My meds just sort of water my illness down.

When I'm off my meds I feel indestructible and very powerful.

G

Girl interupted

The meds are there to help you navigate any sudden cliffs. You can only start to think about reducing them after you’ve processed your traumas in therapy.

Catty5

Catty5

I don’t know what med are you on but in my case....I quit Lexapro that I was on for 20 years due to my health concern. It was “hell” due to horrible withdrawals😫

N

natalie

Could I jump in here;

It is not adviseable to go cold turkey, on medication. You must must do this under medical supervision such as Doctor, or pshychartry doctor. Or out of on call duty doctor.

It is not prudent, for medication withdrawl, without suitable professional mental health expertise to g uide you along. Might i check, are you on a high dose at the moment, or a lower one, because if higher dose, you'll have to gradually taper off, very very slowly.

Best Wishes.

N

Nukelavee

I go off my Rexulti every couple of months for a few days, to check my background move.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Look folks, if you expect meds to cure you, your going to be disapointed, but they will treat and help you manage your condition, most physical health meds don't cure people either, just treat, reduce symptoms and manage. My meds just about cure me, I'm lucky, but not completely. But do you really want to end up on a ward with a load of disturbed people from stopping meds while Covid-19 is rampant? Have some social responsibility and be pro-active in treating your condition in the troubled times ahead, a lot of Psychiatrists are going to be drafted in to treat physical health patients in the near future as they have been to med school.

N

natalie

That is an excellent point Lone-wanderer, I hadn't thought of that aspect.

Best regards.

Mal84

Mal84

To be honest, at the moment I wouldn’t want to just go off my meds (in all cases NEVER go cold turkey) because they help take the edge of things for me. Do I hope to come off meds? Yes, I would love to and in the future, hopefully that will become reality but right now, there’s no way I would risk it.

Connorisnotokay

Connorisnotokay

I just want to make this clear. I didn't make this post to encourage anyone to do this. It was more of a vent from me and just how I'm feeling. I am not going to do this, it's just a thought in my head that's bothering me.

I'm sorry if I've caused any trouble. Reading back on this post I now realise it was probably best not to share my thoughts on this subject.

JaneChaos

JaneChaos

I think I get where you're coming from. I often wonder too. I've been on and off meds since 2001. I can't tell you all the different ones or combinations-the list goes on and on as I'm sure it does for many of us. I can tell you that meds likely kept me here and balanced me out at times and saved my life. At other times they flattened me to the point I didn't really feel anything at all, and I, too, wondered what it would be like without them. It's okay to wonder, just don't stop without a good discussion with others and your doctor.

P

Pollypop

I understand what you were saying.
i have had the same thoughts myself.
Have been on meds since the 1980’s.

I would really like to know “who I am” if
you understand what I’m trying to say.

i would not go cold turkey, nor without help.

By the way Connor, vent all you want!!

i

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Trust me some of the things I did when I self medicated with street drugs I don't really like, I prefer me on meds than off. :).