• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stopped taking meds and I feel better

E

Elphie10

I've been taking anti-depressants since October. They seemed to work to an extent but recently I felt like I did before I went on them, so I decided to come off them to see if it made a difference. I have felt oddly well in the last week and a half, I say oddly because I usually have some sadness and heaviness even on my better days but that has even lifted.

The thing is, I know I'm going to feel sad again and it's like I'm waiting for that to happen because life makes more sense to me when I'm in that place. Sadness is familiar but this isn't and I don't know what to do with it, I don't understand it.

TrapRage616

TrapRage616

It's a never ending teeter-totter for me. I feel great on them, then terrible and I act vicious. I quit and feel better, then soon severely depressed and unable to work even....

It truly is a cycle that is nightmarish and if I could cry I would every night.

H

Hopelessdepressedandpinkfloydlover

I remember when i come to the conclusion what i had was depression and everyone wanted me to take pills, and i never thought they would work, but anyway take the antidepressants just to calm the family pressure, but i never felt any improvement at all, i stop taking them a few months ago. I can't recall the feeling you have, so, if i was on your position i guess i'll try with the things i always wanted to do but didn't because of my sadness, overall, i think you are making progress and that gives hope, at least to me

E

Elphie10

It's a never ending teeter-totter for me. I feel great on them, then terrible and I act vicious. I quit and feel better, then soon severely depressed and unable to work even....

It truly is a cycle that is nightmarish and if I could cry I would every night.
I'm kind of the same. I'm up and down and it doesn't make sense. I never know how I'll feel one day to the next.

I remember when i come to the conclusion what i had was depression and everyone wanted me to take pills, and i never thought they would work, but anyway take the antidepressants just to calm the family pressure, but i never felt any improvement at all, i stop taking them a few months ago. I can't recall the feeling you have, so, if i was on your position i guess i'll try with the things i always wanted to do but didn't because of my sadness, overall, i think you are making progress and that gives hope, at least to me
Thank you. I don't expect it will last but I try and do practical thing when I'm feeling better such as exercise and making my room nice.

I actually felt some self-confidence today. Somehow though I don't like it and want to shrug it off. It must be because it's not familiar? I think I need to not think about everything so much.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Fluoxetine works for me, although sometimes I miss it for silly reasons and it makes me feel more sad. I should be taking them every day without fail.

I am sorry to hear anti-depressants don't work well for some of you. Maybe try a new medication or practice other forms of coping?