• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Stopped taking medication

C

Chezbian

Hi I am new here.

I have been taking lot of different medication for Major depression and anxiety disorder for almost 20 years now. I have therapy weekly and have been doing so for almost a year this time round. I have recently been on Brintellix 20mgs per day. As with most antidepressants I have suffered the usual side effects and have been struggling to sleep or able to feel anything.
I decided 5 days ago that I would stop taking all medications and see how I feel. I can not remember how I function without medication support. This was something that I wanted to try. Of course I spoke to my GP about this, who advised against it but I have done it anyway.
So here I am 5 days with no meds and so far I feel ok. I’ve slept better and feel more alert.
So I just wanted to know if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation? And could share their experiences?

jajingna

jajingna

It's risky I'm sure you know. I stopped the meds 6 or so months ago, was on an antidepressant I felt did nothing, though they sure helped me in the past, and an antipsychotic. Just didn't bother getting a refill. I've been fine, I think largely due to an improved diet, cutting out sugary stuff, eating low carb and all that. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the forum.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello and welcome to the forum. I get very depressed and unstable when I stop taking my medication.

C

Chezbian

Hello and welcome to the forum. I get very depressed and unstable when I stop taking my medication.
I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve never tried to go without meds before. I am scared but I just need to know if I can as I am so fed up with taking them and all the side effects I get. I just want to control my own mind.

C

Chezbian

It's risky I'm sure you know. I stopped the meds 6 or so months ago, was on an antidepressant I felt did nothing, though they sure helped me in the past, and an antipsychotic. Just didn't bother getting a refill. I've been fine, I think largely due to an improved diet, cutting out sugary stuff, eating low carb and all that. Anyway, good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply. So far I feel ok just hoping it stays this way.

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I’m sorry to hear that. I’ve never tried to go without meds before. I am scared but I just need to know if I can as I am so fed up with taking them and all the side effects I get. I just want to control my own mind.
I can understand that. it is hard having side effects. I just hope you do not feel worse in stopping the medication.