• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stopped going to my psychiatrist?

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

So basically I stopped seeing my psychiatrist, I stopped taking my meds, they made me feel worse.
My psychiatrist wanted me to go for a CAT scan and I cancelled, he never would believe me when I said I'd never taken any illegal drugs. I've cancelled every appointment for a couple of months and have asked the secretary to stop giving me appointments, they've called me and everything.
I don't want to go back, I don't want to get the scan, because when I get the scan I feel like he'll have something to hold against me, I don't want to go to a psych ward.
Symptoms have been getting worse but I can cope. I have doubts to if I should go back to the psychiatrist, I had 2 psychiatrists and felt like they never really cared, they'd make faces when I talked about symptoms I was having. I'm a little bit confused, should I go back?

D

Dispatch

Hey there Froggie... well I’m no expert but I would have to lean towards going back ... IMO that just sounds like the best thing to do ... don’t you think ?

B

Black Despondency

If you can try finding another psychiatrist, you can probably find one that specializes in your problems that will have a better bedside manner and be more understanding of your problems. If you can't try another psychiatrist I would still suggest you try back going again. If you like your regular doctor you could try to talk to them about it and see if they can help.

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

Hey there Froggie... well I’m no expert but I would have to lean towards going back ... IMO that just sounds like the best thing to do ... don’t you think ?
It sounds like the best thing to do but nobody is very fond of me seeing a psychiatrist in the first place, thank you for giving me your perspective!

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

If you can try finding another psychiatrist, you can probably find one that specializes in your problems that will have a better bedside manner and be more understanding of your problems. If you can't try another psychiatrist I would still suggest you try back going again. If you like your regular doctor you could try to talk to them about it and see if they can help.
Thank you for your perspective! I think it's a good idea maybe to find a new psychiatrists maybe, it's definitely something I should look into

H

howisthislegal

They are nothing more then modern day torturers who use chemicals to damage and hurt people whilst claiming they are helping. It's definitely best you don't see them, I'd rather see a Nazi doctor.

Daybreak

Daybreak

I also wanted to stop taking my meds. I think that if you really want to go through it, you should communicate with the people on this website daily, so that if they notice somethings off, they can tell you. Maybe write a journal on this website for that purpose.

K

karl7

i wouldnt stop seeing a psychiatrist.....you need therapy.....it will help

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

I also wanted to stop taking my meds. I think that if you really want to go through it, you should communicate with the people on this website daily, so that if they notice somethings off, they can tell you. Maybe write a journal on this website for that purpose.
Thank you for your response! I think this is a good idea! Thank you!:D

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Hey, be careful. You can end up being sectioned and that ain't good.

It takes time to find the right medication and you need to communicate with your psychiatrist. Try to get them to understand you and see things from your point of view. Psychiatrists don't make all the rules, you have some say in your treatment. Unless you get sectioned, you have no option.

Froggie Frog

Froggie Frog

Hey, be careful. You can end up being sectioned and that ain't good.

It takes time to find the right medication and you need to communicate with your psychiatrist. Try to get them to understand you and see things from your point of view. Psychiatrists don't make all the rules, you have some say in your treatment. Unless you get sectioned, you have no option.
Do you think they'd section me? Thats definitely a scary thought.
Thanks for your perspective though! Its crossed my mind a couple of times over the last couple of months that they might section me, I've tried to communicate clearly that I didn't want another appointment but they keep sending them. I don't really want to go back at all, I always feel worse when I leave the appointment. The only thing psychiatrists have offered me so far is medication, I asked for access to counselling services and my psychiatrist declined. I feel like they would have already sectioned me months ago.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I understand that some people don't want medication at all. But, sometimes it is very necessary. If people notice that your mental health in deteriorating, they may tell authority- Dr's, hospitals and crisis team.

I was very ill before taking medication and my Mum took me to the hospital and they wanted to admit me. I said yes to treatment and after that I didn't need to be admitted. And meds help!

L

Lab rat

If you refuse to see a pdoc and stop taking meds, you are definitely going the right way for a section. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.