• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

stop or not?

C

cally75

Stop drinking or not? I do silly things when am drunk. Hate drinking. Do I stop? It's difficult choice

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

The stock answer is to tell you to quit. And to tell you all the great reasons why.

Maybe cutting down may help you feel better. (The drunken bakers are my favorite comic strip on viz though... )

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

i dont know your circumstances cally but reading your post, it seems you want to?
i dont drink, i dont drink because if i do i take it to excess, it controls me so i stopped!
whats making it a hard decsion for you? x

Jimny

Jimny

I also like the drunken bakers and eight ace. There Is also a sad element to both.
I can't drink, I say can't of course I can but I don't like the results. And I like myself even less.
Making some changes has helped me to stay away from drink and avoiding pubs. Fitness, cinema and meet ups. Hopefully I can keep them up.
I'm sure you know all the ins and outs, it's difficult to just cut down for me.

Jimny

Jimny

My favourite is raffles though.

Unique1

Unique1

I used to love a drink. But don't drink now very often, the hangovers were awful and the next day I really often struggled with the lows. I guess I'm afraid to drink now for fear of how bad it can make me feel, it also seemed to highlight my anxiety afterwards too.

they reckon anything in moderation....I think when I do things I can tend to go over the top..

It's all an individual choice, strangely though I don't miss a drink, and like to be in control of myself so I'm quite happy not drinking

Jimny

Jimny

Hi Unique, yep the hangovers I do not miss one bit and you are right in them leaving you drained and vulnerable.

C

cally75

Lol. I thought I was only one who read 8 ace in the viz! 8 cans £1.39. If only jimny!! Hope ur well pal

T

tobermory

Imho, its not just about doing silly things. Its okay to do silly things. The question is how often are you doing these silly things? And acting silly is not even the paramount consideration. The more important question is, how is drinking affecting your personal and professional life? And maybe many people may not agree with me but how is drinking affecting your reputation?

C

cally75

Imho, its not just about doing silly things. Its okay to do silly things. The question is how often are you doing these silly things? And acting silly is not even the paramount consideration. The more important question is, how is drinking affecting your personal and professional life? And maybe many people may not agree with me but how is drinking affecting your reputation?
hi pal. People just think I'm alcoholic. Nobody will borrow me money cos they know it's for drink & I am a "nuisance" when drunk..I get in trouble with police, a bit of a jeckle & Hyde to be honest! Sober I'm nicest guy u could meet. Like u I'm aiming for total abstinence

Jimny

Jimny

Hi Cally, that's a tricky one. I think many are like that without drink 'the nicest guy you could meet'.
For me, I would have some great nights out and a lot of fun. But if something were to go wrong or upset me, my god it would be so amplified. 'Mr bright side' will do me, far safer.

C

cally75

Hi Cally, that's a tricky one. I think many are like that without drink 'the nicest guy you could meet'.
For me, I would have some great nights out and a lot of fun. But if something were to go wrong or upset me, my god it would be so amplified. 'Mr bright side' will do me, far safer.
Every emotion is amplified with drink mate! If you're a bit depressed it makes you 10x worse. Likewise if you're out having fun, drink makes it better. If u don't drink at a party, you're labelled as a "social leper" but if u drink home alone, you're a drunk! Can't win! I guess the key if finding a balance. This is my problem. I said before how all my friends have jobs & I get bored sat here all day alone. I know Wot you're thinking I need find a hobby to outlet my energy. I do enjoy gaming on my Sega dreamcast. I bet u don't remember them?! It's a classic & still better than playstation!

Jimny

Jimny

Absolutely right, balance I guess. I can't tell you anything as I spend the majority of time holed up, I tell myself I am resting my brain.
Please don't think I'm judging you, I appreciate the conversation.
I had a dream cast back in the day, I have PS3 but don't have the inkling anymore.
One of my favs was the Zelda games on N64.
Been playing Hearthstone on iPad, it's pretty good but a bit addictive.

Last edited:
C

cally75

Absolutely right, balance I guess. I can't tell you anything as I spend the majority of time holed up, I tell myself I am resting my brain.
Please don't think I'm judging you, I appreciate the conversation.
I had a dream cast back in the day, I have PS3 but don't have the inkling anymore.
One of my favs was the Zelda games on N64.
Been playing Hearthstone on iPad, it's pretty good but a bit addictive.
Ah you're an rpg man! I like my first person shooters. Been playing on my pad one called kill shot it's an excellent sniper type game that I recommend