• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Stop dehumanising narcissists 🙁

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Saw this video and this woman is a breath of fresh air.

I hate seeing videos and people being so hateful to narcissists. Even going far as saying they are demons from hell and such.

What do you guys think?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I also dislike opinionated people's comments. Nobody knows what we go through fully except us, and no two people are the same even if they have the same diagnosis.

I hear a lot of criticism about people with bipolar disorder or people someone thinks has bipolar disorder. I have heard a man say he is sure his ex had bipolar disorder because she was $%*£% you can imagine the rest.

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
Bipolar and other mental illnesses are stigmatized. But, I think the most stigmatized illness is NPD.
I hope that in the future it'll be more understood and less stigmatized. I remember when BPD was very stigmatized.

There's a clinical psychologist on YouTube that sadly paints a very bad picture for narcissists. However, that video above, another person is doing good and trying to stop the hate/stigma.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

The problem with NPD is that many if not most folk do not realize they got it. This means it is more of a problem for everyone else

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Okey dokey

Is there a cure for NPD

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Do you got any data for folk with NPD what actually go get treatment for it? My guess is not that many coz they don't know they got it

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Not being demonizing, but do you think there is a link between NPD and Aspergers? All the folk I know with NPD seem to have both

S

Siegfried

I think you misunderstood the point of the video?

She doesn't seem to be defending narcissists in any way, just criticizing the overuse of a clinical term by lay people that are in no way qualified to determine who may actually be suffering from a personality disorder. For example, when people claim they're "OCD" because they're very prone to order, when in reality suffering from OCD means stuff like having to check that the faucet is closed 37 times before being able to go to bed, it's shallow and ignorant people distorting the reality of serious disorders.

Beyond that, I once got to knows someone that most certainly was at least somewhat of a narcissist, fitting the clinical definition and all, and I don't hate that person, I don't wish them to burn in hell but I sure regret them ever being a part of my life and I wish I never come even close to one of them ever again.