Still struggling

R

reinaj

So it been almost a year and I’m still struggling with sexually intrusive thoughts. They went away for some weeks but then they came back when I was suddenly triggered by something my mom said. I ordered a book about overcoming intrusive thoughts and a workbook from amazon but it only did so much. I’m not ocd but I do have terrible anxiety. Are there any other tips on what I can do to get rid of these thoughts for goo?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi
welcome to the forum x
are you getting any support or help with these distressing thoughts?
i was wonderingif some kind of medication or counselling might help

im really really sorry you are going through this it must be hard
sending you lots of love good thoughts and wishes
Lu x

R

reinaj

I’m taking too many medications to add another. But I’ve been reading a book and doing a workbook on intrusive thoughts, it’s helpful but not really.

Ocdthebuginmybrain

Ocdthebuginmybrain

I too read books to help with my intrusive thoughts and OCD. What types of thoughts and OCD do you most struggle with?

Liza9560

Liza9560

Sorry you’re struggling, Reinaj. One interesting way to deal with intrusives is to “accept” them...like, watch them, nod at them, and dismiss them. Very mindfulness-oriented. That which you resist becomes stronger. That which you accept loses control over you.

You wouldn’t do those things that pop into your head. If you really were that kind of person, those intrusives wouldn’t bother you so much, right? (Is that in the book you got off Amazon? I got one, too. ;))

Here’s the book I listened to:
F348D952-EAC9-4811-B4FE-49B6A8086953.jpeg
I dug it alright. But intrusive thoughts are tougher to “work on” than automatic thoughts, in my opinion, in the sense that they’re so often the same thoughts over and over. Are we supposed to list the same thoughts over and over? Well...doing that would help us determine the causes and triggers of the specific thoughts....

You may have a tad bit of OCD...just a smattering, as I do. Yes, that is the medical term for my lil level of OCD. Just enough to aggravate the dang anxiety and depression that we have, too.

Really.....try accepting your thoughts as brain quirks. Laugh at them and sigh. Wave them away.

Good luck!

Attachments