• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Still Hearing Voices At Night

R

Rider52

I've don't like to keep complaining on here, but I'm still struggling. I mentioned about hearing sounds or voices while trying to sleep before. Some suggested about hypnogogic hallucinations. I'm just concerned because it's becoming more frequent lately. I don't hear anything at all throughout the day. I've been to the ER twice, had a psychatric assessment, and visited my PCP. They really weren't much help. It was just you're stressed, get counseling, and here's some anxiety medication. That was before the voices started though. I just dont know what to do from here. I've never experienced this before and a few months ago was fine.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
don't like to keep complaining on here
I don't see it as complaining, you have a legitimate reason for asking for advice.

Are the voices saying anything specific? Are they loud enough to keep you awake or can you still sleep at night?

I don't want to invalidate your experience but it could be much worse, I hear my voice from the moment I wake up and still hear 'him' until I fall asleep at night.

Because mine was so loud and keeping me awake at night I had to go down the medication route, the meds reduced the volume of my voice by around 95% which took all the stress out of hearing him and allowed me to get a good nights sleep. For a few lucky people the voices go away completely.

I'm not suggesting medication is the way for you as it could have the opposite effect, sometimes voices get more aggressive when on medication.

But I'd definitely go back to a doctor and tell them again what you're going through, a second opinion may make all the difference.

R

Rider52

I don't see it as complaining, you have a legitimate reason for asking for advice.

Are the voices saying anything specific? Are they loud enough to keep you awake or can you still sleep at night?

I don't want to invalidate your experience but it could be much worse, I hear my voice from the moment I wake up and still hear 'him' until I fall asleep at night.

Because mine was so loud and keeping me awake at night I had to go down the medication route, the meds reduced the volume of my voice by around 95% which took all the stress out of hearing him and allowed me to get a good nights sleep. For a few lucky people the voices go away completely.

I'm not suggesting medication is the way for you as it could have the opposite effect, sometimes voices get more aggressive when on medication.

But I'd definitely go back to a doctor and tell them again what you're going through, a second opinion may make all the difference.
Hi NWiddi,
I don't hear voices at all through the day. It's usually just a night time thing and I'm able to sleep. It happens as I'm trying to fall back asleep. It sounds like a whistling noise or sometimes like a conversation. I can't really make out what's being said. This is all new to me and never experienced it until a few months ago.

Duggie

Duggie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
TBH Hearing voices at night is a very common experience with Schizophrenia, you can take some Valerian root tea or smoke a joint, also listening to some pleasing music also helps settle you down,

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I can't speak for the tea but smoking a joint is quite possibly the worst thing you could do, for me cannabis powered up my voice beyond belief, it got louder, faster and much more intense.

Just one drag on a joint back in August 2016 ended up being a nightmare for me, that was the last time I'll ever touch it.

I hate to contradict people but on this occassion I had to share my experience.

Duggie

Duggie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It depends upon the type I was not talking about Cheese, but Lemon Grass or Red Seal Hash though just stick with the herbal teas or drops.

Y

Yankee rose

I've don't like to keep complaining on here, but I'm still struggling. I mentioned about hearing sounds or voices while trying to sleep before. Some suggested about hypnogogic hallucinations. I'm just concerned because it's becoming more frequent lately. I don't hear anything at all throughout the day. I've been to the ER twice, had a psychatric assessment, and visited my PCP. They really weren't much help. It was just you're stressed, get counseling, and here's some anxiety medication. That was before the voices started though. I just dont know what to do from here. I've never experienced this before and a few months ago was fine.
Me too,I can't take it anymore, I'm Losingmy mind ! Only at night time they happen ,I hear whistling, cats meowing, women talking ,children talking, bells ringing, I don't go to sleep at night anymore, I stay up until 6 am,I'm too scared ,they sound like they're in the room with me ! My doctor prescribed laura but the voices and sounds are getting worse !!! Help me ,please!!!!!!😣😓

N

natalie

Hi Rider,

Medication to me for anxiety isn't the answer at this point.

You need to have an antisphycotic, which helps for hearing things, and hallucinations, I am on a b rand which overall works extremely well, you might like to research Abilify. This is an excellent med for hearing and seeing things.

i wish you eventually well,

and off course do keep posting.

Best wishes.

W

Worriedyin

Hi Rider,

Medication to me for anxiety isn't the answer at this point.

You need to have an antisphycotic, which helps for hearing things, and hallucinations, I am on a b rand which overall works extremely well, you might like to research Abilify. This is an excellent med for hearing and seeing things.

i wish you eventually well,

and off course do keep posting.

Best wishes.
Hi,

As far as my understanding, sleep hallucinations (hypnopompic and hypnogogic) are not 'pathological' and don't require treatment with an antipsychotic.

I experienced two or three hypnopompic hallucinations withdrawing from risperidone - my psychosis didn't involve any form of hallucination - so it might be worth considering if you're withdrawing from something - smoking and caffeine included.

Might be worth asking for a sleep study in case aponea or something else is contributing.

But certainly doesn't sound like you need antipsychotics if the doctors you've seen haven't suggested them.

R

Rider52

I wrote somewhere else on here recently about feeling a little better than I was. I was really working had at trying to improve myself through excercise, staying active, etc. Now some of my symptoms seemed to have flared up again recently. Feeling anxious a lot is my main symptom. Usually early morning is the worst and it tapers off by the end of the day. I'll feel depressed at times, but it usually passes. Falling asleep or trying to rest is when I can get the hallucinations. I've been everywhere for help and just don't know what to do. Medical testing and psychatric assessment a few months ago. I was interviewed by a mental health professional and then their psychiatrist
had to make the final call. They just suggested counseling or anxiety medication then. That was before the sleep related hallucinations though. I'm just getting concerned right now especially when I was fine not long ago and didn't have any mental health issues for almost 40 years.

Rowan

Rowan

I wrote somewhere else on here recently about feeling a little better than I was. I was really working had at trying to improve myself through excercise, staying active, etc. Now some of my symptoms seemed to have flared up again recently. Feeling anxious a lot is my main symptom. Usually early morning is the worst and it tapers off by the end of the day. I'll feel depressed at times, but it usually passes. Falling asleep or trying to rest is when I can get the hallucinations. I've been everywhere for help and just don't know what to do. Medical testing and psychatric assessment a few months ago. I was interviewed by a mental health professional and then their psychiatrist
had to make the final call. They just suggested counseling or anxiety medication then. That was before the sleep related hallucinations though. I'm just getting concerned right now especially when I was fine not long ago and didn't have any mental health issues for almost 40 years.
Did you take the anxiety medication you mentioned in your first post? Did it not work at all?

Have you asked for therapy to help with the anxiety issue?

It sounds like you need to go back to them again.

R

Rider52

Did you take the anxiety medication you mentioned in your first post? Did it not work at all?

Have you asked for therapy to help with the anxiety issue?

It sounds like you need to go back to them again.
I was just given a prescription for anxiety attacks as needed. It has helped me out some. The feeling just keeps coming back regardless of what I try to do to help myself improve. Now everything is difficult here with the coronavirus. I'm not even sure I could get into seeing my doctor.

Rowan

Rowan

I was just given a prescription for anxiety attacks as needed. It has helped me out some. The feeling just keeps coming back regardless of what I try to do to help myself improve.
I think you need to go back to explain to them as it could be something more serious than just anxiety.

(I mean, I know anxiety is a horrible thing to have but what I mean is that hearing voices could be a sign of psychosis.)

I have heard voices and I'm an an antipsychotic medication at the moment.

R

Rider52

I think you need to go back to explain to them as it could be something more serious than just anxiety.

(I mean, I know anxiety is a horrible thing to have but what I mean is that hearing voices could be a sign of psychosis.)

I have heard voices and I'm an an antipsychotic medication at the moment.
I was thinking it could possibly be psychosis. I'd have to talk to someone to be sure. If it is it just came out of nowhere. Has your meds helped any?