• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Still a beginner here - question about racing thoughts

aleks1009

aleks1009

Hy guys,

do you have (those diagnosed with being Bipolar) racing thoughts and how does that look like? Thanks

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and Welcome to the forum. I am diagnosed bipolar and racing thoughts are usually with me not able to finish a sentence because my mind is on the next one, thoughts flitting from subject to subject so I am unable to communicate properly, a heightened anxiety often follows as I panic that I can't get across what I mean. Often associated with fast movements and some what ecstatic feelings. But it doesn't last and I end up in a depression fairly soon afterwards. Haven't had it for years now as meds work for me.

What about you?

aleks1009

aleks1009

Hiya and Welcome to the forum. I am diagnosed bipolar and racing thoughts are usually with me not able to finish a sentence because my mind is on the next one, thoughts flitting from subject to subject so I am unable to communicate properly, a heightened anxiety often follows as I panic that I can't get across what I mean. Often associated with fast movements and some what ecstatic feelings. But it doesn't last and I end up in a depression fairly soon afterwards. Haven't had it for years now as meds work for me.

What about you?

Thank you :) I have similar experiences, not in a sense of not being able to finish a sentence but when my thoughts are racing like yours I can't force myself to get some work done. Another problem in my experience is connected with being stuck with thoughts. You know, like just becoming obsessed with them or one of them and trying to explain them to me. Ever had that experience?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I never had the experience of being obsessed with one thought no. I found my thoughts beginning to go round in circles after a while. Luckily I don't get this any more I found it totally upsetting.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Aleks, welcome to the forum :welcome:

I to suffer from bipolar and struggle with racing thoughts from time to time. It is exhausting and I usually also have intense anxiety at the same time. I have found that meditation and working helps, just get my mind focused on something else.

Heartbroken

Heartbroken

Hi Aleks, welcome to the forum :welcome:

I to suffer from bipolar and struggle with racing thoughts from time to time. It is exhausting and I usually also have intense anxiety at the same time. I have found that meditation and working helps, just get my mind focused on something else.
UpnDown1978, I've been diagnosed with bipolar 2, I have racing thoughts too but my medicine that I have to take, dims my thoughts and everything, and especially with a certain dose I can't hear my thoughts. About anxiety, I have intense anxiety all the time, I also have PTSD and agoraphobia and some other phobias. Just thought I'd share these things.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
UpnDown1978, I've been diagnosed with bipolar 2, I have racing thoughts too but my medicine that I have to take, dims my thoughts and everything, and especially with a certain dose I can't hear my thoughts. About anxiety, I have intense anxiety all the time, I also have PTSD and agoraphobia and some other phobias. Just thought I'd share these things.
I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2 as well. I take Lamictal and I'm supposed to take seroqel, but it makes me so sedated that I can't function at work when i do, so I only take it when I'm not working. Lamictal helps keep my Hypo in check but I find that it isn't as effective against my depression. My anxiety is extreme at times, but somehow I've learned to live with it. I suffer from general depression, general anxiety and social anxiety in addition to my bipolar.

aleks1009

aleks1009

Thank you guys, this really helps so much. Has anyone tried Depakote for mood shifts and does this medication works for you? I personally take it and never had any problems, except what makes me a bit numb.

Wishbone

Wishbone

I have Depakote and I'm fine with it. Racing thoughts are more than familiar to me too. I sometimes want to give my brain a medal for going through so many things in such a short amount of time, but it's not often a good thing, just a mess really.

aleks1009

aleks1009

I agree. Does it stops you in your work for example?

Wishbone

Wishbone

They don't occur in normal states, only when I'm in an altered state, so there's an impact on whatever I try to do, both in terms of trying to focus on anything and in keeping everything else under control too, which isn't likely. I wouldn't be able to concentrate properly in a working role if this happened.

Heartbroken

Heartbroken

I'm diagnosed with bipolar 2 as well. I take Lamictal and I'm supposed to take seroqel, but it makes me so sedated that I can't function at work when i do, so I only take it when I'm not working. Lamictal helps keep my Hypo in check but I find that it isn't as effective against my depression. My anxiety is extreme at times, but somehow I've learned to live with it. I suffer from general depression, general anxiety and social anxiety in addition to my bipolar.
I understand. How do you cope without taking Seroquel regularly? I suffer from severe, debilitating depression. Nothing has taken away my depression. I understand now as I'm writing this it's because it's part of my illness and I don't have a proper medication. I have extreme anxiety too, I have severe, debilitating anxiety and I read somewhere that anxiety is part of bipolar. I'm sorry about everything you're going through.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
I understand. How do you cope without taking Seroquel regularly? I suffer from severe, debilitating depression. Nothing has taken away my depression. I understand now as I'm writing this it's because it's part of my illness and I don't have a proper medication. I have extreme anxiety too, I have severe, debilitating anxiety and I read somewhere that anxiety is part of bipolar. I'm sorry about everything you're going through.
I'm so used to being off Seroqel that I don't really think about. I just take it when things get to intense. My anxiety can be really bad sometimes but I've become better at living with it over the years. It's still a nightmare to live with but I somehow manage to power through it.

aleks1009

aleks1009

I'm so used to being off Seroqel that I don't really think about. I just take it when things get to intense. My anxiety can be really bad sometimes but I've become better at living with it over the years. It's still a nightmare to live with but I somehow manage to power through it.

How does your condition affect your work performance?

aleks1009

aleks1009

I would also like to hear from others - does BA affect your work performance, in the sense that you often switch jobs? I have this problem.