• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stigmatism and Mental health

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
I was talking to somebody yesterday who is heavily involved in their Church. It seems that the church they go to, have now decided that in view of the fact that they were bipolar some 10 years, and still visits their GP every 3 months, is a good enough reason to get rid of them, even though they have not had a relapse for over 2 years. They have explained to the PCC that their reason for going to see their GP every 3 months is to have blood tests as they are on lithium and it is almost obligatory to have these tests. That it appears is not good enough for the Church and that person has been told to go and work elsewhere.

There can be no doubts of their ability and suitability as they have a list of qualifications as long as your arm.

Has anybody else had to deal with such ignorance, discrimination and stigma.The fact that this is a Church surely makes it more appalling.

Caradoc:innocent:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi Ralph this sounds awful, is it a mainstream church. Although im not heavily involved in my church, my sister is and when i spoke to her she was as puzzled as me. I dont know what you friend does in the church that makes him such a target

When i have been unwell and the prayer circle get to hear of it prayers are started for me. Whether they work or nt is a different topic altogether. But it is nice to know someone is thinking of you,

If its for a position in office and hes capable then it definatly is dicrimination and needs reporting whether its the church .not:mad:

J

justlikeawoman

stigmatism and mental health

It is hard to believe that this lady is being discriminated in the way she is.
She has work long and hard in the church. She isnt the sort of person to just sit in the pew an do nothing. However, she is very outspoken and has made a complaint about the vicar over his treatment of her.
Unfortunately, the church she belongs is probably full of men in long dresses who love to play God with people. They see themselves as an elected set apart from women. They speak with a funny voice on Sunday. You know the sort.
The sad fact is many people are not attending church, or not that particular type of church. Most of the people who attend that denomination are women so I think they are walking a rocky road assaulting their devoted members.
Like I have said before anybody can suffer mental health problems. They statistics are 1 in 4 people will have mental health problems. So if you have a congregation of 100 then that leaves you with quite a number of people in churches who are suffering with mental health problems.
May be we can all attend his church one week and he will think "Wow, I must be soo good that my congregation has increased !00% over night. But then during conversation after church when he find he has a church full of nutters he will freak out!!!:evil: Sorry but I had to say it!!!!:LOL:
alice

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
I was talking to somebody yesterday who is heavily involved in their Church. It seems that the church they go to, have now decided that in view of the fact that they were bipolar some 10 years, and still visits their GP every 3 months, is a good enough reason to get rid of them, even though they have not had a relapse for over 2 years. They have explained to the PCC that their reason for going to see their GP every 3 months is to have blood tests as they are on lithium and it is almost obligatory to have these tests. That it appears is not good enough for the Church and that person has been told to go and work elsewhere.

There can be no doubts of their ability and suitability as they have a list of qualifications as long as your arm.

Has anybody else had to deal with such ignorance, discrimination and stigma.The fact that this is a Church surely makes it more appalling.

I'm totally gob smacked with the above post :mad:
A church doing this is sooooooo out of order :mad:
Hope this get's resolved soon and they do not give up going .

Keep us posted .

J

justlikeawoman

you should not be so gobsmacked at this sort of thing happening within a church.
in fact maybe you should expect more so in the church than anywhere else. why? because for since how long? the church has thought of poor mental health and demon possession going hand in hand.
like anyone suffering with madness of any kind should be avoid, treated with caution (and not caution in the sense of care for the sufferer but caution in the sense of keep away from THEM!!)
fortunately, there is better understanding now with churches offering help, support, prayer and care for people who are suffering in anyway whether it be physically or mentally etc.
i can only say thank god that not everybody in the church is as ignorant as this vicar.
remember the church has been as brain washed as those who never attended a church and they need educating too.
but you know what - in spite of this poor person being persecuted (my words) by the church there are christians who are supporting and giving her encouragement so she feels encouraged by that too.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

S

sasone2one

Founding Member
Mental Health and Stigmatisation

Yes being a church does make this worse and they should not be allowed to get away with it. My advice to your friend would be to take it to the hierarchy of the church right to the top. Not locally but the head of the church in England. I think this is disgraceful. What happenned to - do unto others as you would have done unto yourself?

J

justlikeawoman

Yes being a church does make this worse and they should not be allowed to get away with it. My advice to your friend would be to take it to the hierarchy of the church right to the top. Not locally but the head of the church in England. I think this is disgraceful. What happenned to - do unto others as you would have done unto yourself?
well the hierachy of the church - who is that? the archbishop of canterbury. so what do you think he will do with it. make tooth sucking noises.
you see the church is no different than those who are not the church. isnt that the whole point. how many in society will reject your ability once they know your past history?
probably quite a lot of people.
the sad fact is that this woman is a tremendous person with great gifts in pastoral care but because of her past illness she is regarded with suspicion. will she flip her lid again or what ever they think of her?
the sad fact of it all is that the person who is treating her like this is himself marginalised because of his sexuality. he is fearful because he is a bully and this wonderful lady stands up to him.
she has my full support. and like i said while somebody in the church treats her badly she is also receiving support from others in the church. we dont all attend the same church but we are the church none the less.
:grouphug:

S

sasone2one

Founding Member
I don't know what the head of the church will do, but you have two choice do nothing and allow this to go on. Or make waves to the organ grinder and stand up for your rights or perhaps the disability rights commission might be worth ringing.

well the hierachy of the church - who is that? the archbishop of canterbury. so what do you think he will do with it. make tooth sucking noises.
you see the church is no different than those who are not the church. isnt that the whole point. how many in society will reject your ability once they know your past history?
probably quite a lot of people.
the sad fact is that this woman is a tremendous person with great gifts in pastoral care but because of her past illness she is regarded with suspicion. will she flip her lid again or what ever they think of her?
the sad fact of it all is that the person who is treating her like this is himself marginalised because of his sexuality. he is fearful because he is a bully and this wonderful lady stands up to him.
she has my full support. and like i said while somebody in the church treats her badly she is also receiving support from others in the church. we dont all attend the same church but we are the church none the less.
:grouphug:

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
This person, believe me is not rolling over to either the Vicar or the bishop. But their past mental health is being used as a weapon against them. Frankly I think that this is the worst kind of stigmatism and evil in origin. OK, I am an active Christian and am appalled that any Christian Church could and does behave in this manner. Everyone is entitled to a view, and others are entitled to disagree, but to use Mental health as a weapon this way stinks and reflects badly on those involved, especially a church.

Last edited:
Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
What would Christ do?

I know I'm a bit of an idealist but I always live in hope that any church that claims to be Christian would refer back to Christ. He accepted everyone as who they were. What he did object to were people who were fraudulent in any way whatsoever. The obvious story is the one where Christ met the man who lived among the tombs who said that his name was Legion. Christ didn't cast HIM out, he cast out the spirits (voices?) into the Gadarene swine. He told the story of the good Samaritan, he accepted the woman at the well, he even accepted a tax collector - who must have worked for the Romans - and a Roman soldier because he saw who they really were under their outward appearance.
Maybe the heirarchy in this person's church is too afraid of her outspokenness.
If it was me I'd probably write a very strong letter to the vicar stating what I've just written about Christ. There are very good reasons for NOT having any heirarchy. And one good thing about having mental illness is that I'm a lot less afraid about what people might think of me than I used to be. My integrity matters more. (I hope that I can live up to that!)

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
Hi Isobel.
The problem is that the person is as you described in your last sentence. There 2 problems really. 1/ The vicar has taken up a post promoting homosexuallity in schools 3. days a week and is unconcerned that on those 3 days he is not available to his parishoners. Apparently he is receiving support from his Bishop. 2/He considers it as right that any income he receives is paid direct to the Church( not the parish[No wonder the bishop supports him]).

The person concerned is completely unafraid about being on her own in this church on this matter. It is a failing Church with a very small congregation, and the vicar has control over all of them. As I understand it, she has been allowed to continue to work in the Church, cleaning the brass. Now I am Gobsmacked

:mad::redface: :evil:

Last edited:
Isobel

Isobel

Founding Member
your last post

Hello Ralph,
I have no idea how church affairs are normally run, where or who any income goes to - it does seem very unbalanced that the vicar should spend so much time in schools promoting homosexuality. Really he should be promoting acceptance of gay and lesbian people, teaching that humanity encompasses all kinds of sexuality - leaving out the dangerous ones. It is a huge pity that these days someone should feel marginalised because of their sexuality or any other reason. It is also a huge pity that someone such as this vicar should treat others as he has been treated rather than as they should be treated as equal human beings. The C of E is STILL having a huge battle about homosexuality, so far as I can tell the only reference to it is in the OLD Testament which has surely been superseded by the new. Don't they debate these things at theological college? Also it is a huge pity but still appallingly true that people with mental illness are still looked on with fear and prejudice. The truth is that mental illness takes you to places and teaches you things that are way beyond and far deeper than the things which most people have the chance to experience and the gained wisdom and empathy can be enormously helpful to others.
Did you watch any of the Extreme Pilgrim series on BBC2? In the last one the C of E vicar who was the pilgrim spent 3 weeks totally alone in a cave in the Egyptian desert. I think that took him through some of the places that mental illness can take you and he certainly came through changed and wiser. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the first wellbeing and spirituality workshop we had here was held at a mosque not a church.
Why don't you print out this whole thread and send it to the vicar?
Best of luck,
Isobel

R

rose

Founding Member
lets not judge those less we be judged ouselves

well im an athiest ,so prob got that all wrong,
but what has happend to your friend is appauling , excuse spelling ,
and makes me all the more happier to be athiest
but i hope your friend spiritual belife gets her through this ,
you should never give up the things you belive in

hope i make scence,
all the best rose:flowers:

M

maudikie

Church attitudes.

I am not religious, but I do believe that there is something greater than homo sapiens. At present it seems that a long gone friend of mine was right in saying that sex an religion rule the world.
If we don't have some sort of belief in something that created the world, how can we teach our children the values of good and bad?
I think the church - or should I say denominaions - do have a part to play in this, but so much depends on who is representing the good and the bad.
The one mentioned above is certainly no example. Sadly at present the whole world seens to have got out of hand, and religions fight religions.
Who is the "King of the Castle"? At present it would seem the monetarists are well up the scale. Yet they in the end are no different to you and I. We are all born and all die. It's the bit in between that counts, and how much help we can give to others, and what good deeds we can do - however small. A mere smile to a passing stranger may well lift his heart. A "thank you" for a small kindness done to ourselves.
I can only say shame to the vicar who banned the lady who was mentally ill.
I hope his conscience (if he has one) pricks him good and hard. Why doesn't one of the more courageous members of the congregation give him a leaflet to read about mental illness. He might be converted!

P

Pilgrim

It's truly sad that, in this day and age, and in a church of all places, that people still feel the need to discriminate against mental health patients. I'm sure most patients would have nightmare stories of being written off without even having had the chance to prove themselves, of being singled out and pilloried for nothing more than being ill or just being different.

That said, I don't believe that things are quite as bad as they were maybe twenty or thirty years ago.

As a mental health service user myself, bipolar disorder is my condition, it saddens me that we aren't treated with the same consideration and courtesy that people with physical illnesses would expect and usually get from others.

I'd say that mental health stigma can partly be resolved, although I feel there will always be people who seek to make our lives harder, by people with such problems being brave enough to speak out and be open about the subject which might serve to demystify the problem and put to rest some of the myths and misconceptions currently present in society regarding those with mental health issues. We aren't all incapable of looking after ourselves, nor are we all a threat or potential threat to others.

Working with the media, a minefield though this can sometimes be, might be a start in giving us a more positive public image and set right some of the prejudice that, sadly, all to many of us experience in our daily lives.