• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

stigma or illness?

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I notice for the new esa they've done away with illness, they're using that disability movement argument it's stigma, for the assessment they don't measure illness but what work you can do.

Many years ago i was in a hostel were they argued that as long as i took the meds the illness was controlled and it was all stigma.

For years i refused to go on the sick even when benefit clarks would tell me to get a 6 month backdated sicknote

When i tryed to work in haringey social services these people had no doubt i was ill, i was pushed onto the sick, i'd got the job under the disability they couldn't by law sack a disabled guy the only thing they could do was send him home sick.

It was the end of the tory years when a lot of people who were regarded as questionable went on the sick, one thing i was diagnosed schitzoprenic, though according to my old hostel i wasn't sick as i was "stabilised on meds"

I've got friends who had langian therapy and still argue they're off meds and well even though thats counterproductive as they're not fit for work like me

I went to the gym today, heard people talking about me, i'd rather use the word stigma than illness were i'm imagining it, i got into a bad argument with a women friend who says i say people are talking about me in pubs but she's been there and they're not

Whether stigma or illness it's not me who decides it's the people in power like the benefit doctor who at some time will question me and will be under pressure to argue my fit side or social services under pressure to close cases who'll downplay illness, thats already happened

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
i feel lick my sickness has torn threw me leaveing me with lumps on my face and lots of other marks from a time i was very sensative but had to work to try and live a normal life. my mental stability with the things going on i mentioned left me with no hope of keeping a job.

i dont think they do enough atall and as i`ve grown up the stigma from pychiatrist is unbeliveable, ther like well your here and your unwell so increase your meds then soon as your meds are increased thats it they dont want to see you anymore.
pychiatrist just have one track minds is all i`m tryin to say.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
psychiatrists all they do is give meds, they're not interested in the stigma, when they factor it in it's just another symptom to give meds for

And to say like new labour that if you take away the stigma everything would be ok is equally silly

scottsblue

scottsblue

Founding Member
psychiatrists all they do is give meds, they're not interested in the stigma, when they factor it in it's just another symptom to give meds for

And to say like new labour that if you take away the stigma everything would be ok is equally silly
especially when phyciatrist are at folt for most stigma, everyone just seems to want to put us in these places and they dont care where just aslong as they have solved the problem for the time being.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They dump us in these places, my housing isn't officialy mental illness housing but mental ilness is a major reason people get to the top of the housing list, other reasons drug addiction alcoholism that some would include as mental ilness
even my neighbour who's been in prison some would say is mentally ill

Thought of defending psychiatrists but my heart isn't in it, they are the medical students who score bottom in the exams, the people who fail to make the grade for producing test tube babies