• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

stigma of schizophrenia

G

gary9766

hi. I have schizophrenia. I was hospitalized for two and a half months in 2012. that's when I was first diagnosed. I was in psychosis. I suffer from anxiety so much that it is hard for me to go out in public. I also suffer depression. since being diagnosed ' I have noticed people talk to you like you are crazy and retarded. my illness has nothing to do with my intellect. people make ridiculous comments to me and look at each other and smile. I know I think too much and over analize things but I can not help it. I often question my diagnosis to myself but can not deny my symptoms. I amm acutely aware and suspicious of every comment made and the people around me. my meds have such bad side effects that I can not take them continuously all the time. I try to take my invega tho as much as possible. does any one else notice the same profiling and stigma that I do.

Gajolene

Gajolene

Hi Gary welcome to the forum.

My family faces a lot of stigma as well over both scitzophrenia and scitzoaffective diagnoses' of my sons and that are well known in our small town from times of psychosis seen in public and by neighbours and such. People can be really stupid, insensitive and mean. It's hard to find friends who are supportive and accepting, Friends who are not judgemental and assuming the worst at all times.

Old friends and family are lost but new friendships and those who really care in family and friends can forge better bonds and more trusting bonds as time passes. You really find out who your real friends are and how much people care when living with these conditions.

You are sure to find good friends on here, it's a good place to talk with many really smart, intelligent people who also suffer living with these conditions as well and with their caring family members. Don't let the ignorant ones get you down, they aren't worth your time or effort.

:hug:

L

letalis

I think a lot of the stigma associated with mental illness can be attributed to the increasingly biological focus of mental health studies. In essence, medicine is saying "these people are fundamentally different than us. They deviate from the norm. Their brains do not function like ours. Their genes are defective."

(This can be illuminated by the history of eugenics in America).

It divides the world into us vs. them, and subsequently allows society to place us squarely into the category of the others. The moral and behavioral deviants. The biological argument allows society to claim in objective terms that we are deserving recipients of stigma and isolation because we are dissimilar.

And we fulfill society's role as the social and behavioral deviant. We have been categorized (schizophrenic, bipolar, depressed, etc) and we strive to fulfill the role of the categorization (the role of the schizophrenic, the bipolar, or the depressed patient). In essence, by categorizing, society encourages us to adopt the role of the sick patient.