• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Stigma alive and well in the UK

BillFish

BillFish

I don't want to get anal about it but if you spend any time away from the protected environment of mental health forums, you’re quickly reminded that misconceptions and stigma are rife on the internet regarding mental health issues. Take Kerry Katona's situation at the moment, she has bipolar disorder.

If it involved someone who was of ethnic origin or gay for example, moderators would be quick to control comments etc.But its basically open season if someone has a mental health issue. I'd say that we are still in the 1970,s as far as attitudes to mental health are concerned.

Like I say, I don't want to get anal about it but it's definitely open season as far as any article that may suggest a mental health issue is concerned and most people couldn't give a shit.

On another note , a friend gave me a crate of beer on Christmas eve, so I feel compelled to get pissed on new years eve lol . I guess I can always blame it on my inner voice.:p

A

Apotheosis

and most people couldn't give a shit.
That is the core of it - people don't care & they couldn't give a shit. The general attitude is that it's the fault of the sufferer. These things are complex; & in many ways; to really address these issues & for people to have genuine understanding; means that people would have to look deeply at themselves - Can you see that happening!?

Personally I think it very likely that stigma & discrimination is going to get worse. A lot worse.

I have an acquaintance; who is an alcoholic; I don't much like him, but he is very good friends with my bro. We argue a lot. Over Christmas I took the film Franklyn over to my bro's to watch. The film is about MH issues. This 'acquaintance' kept saying that it was a shit film the whole way through; & afterwards I got into another argument with him, & he said "the reason why you like the film is because your a fucking nutter as well like the bloke in the film".

When I am not at home & on forums, I am very much in general society a lot of the time; & I am all too aware of the general attitudes. I try to not get too bothered by it all. I am grateful to have some friends that have been through similar things, who I can chat with. But many people I see have no idea, & I do get resentful with them. TBH I wish stuff on them; only for the fact that they would then see how very difficult some of these things are. I look into some of the ideas of societal collapse; & frankly I think 'GOOD', when I feel hurt from all this stuff I want society to suffer with things too, given what I have been through & have had to put up with.

R

rasselas

this year past i've run smack-faced into stigma and discrimination and it's true, no one gives a flying expletive.

maybe it's early days but i don't think we've moved beyond paying lip-service to these things.

in the disability laws there are protections. but you try and evoke them! this is near impossible if you have a mental illness. if you complain of stigma and mental illness it's way too easy for those you complain against to smilingly dismiss your claim - and the people you complain to, well, they are reluctant to take you seriously.

after all - you are mad, paranoid, anxious - not fully human... how can you know reality? how can you accuse someone of wrong-doing when you have a weak mind?

try it. next time you encounter stigma or discrimination over your mental health issues, especially if its from some professional concern, you try complaining.

absolutely no one wants to know. the classic line you may hear is, "well, this is difficult to prove." followed by an unwillingness to pursue any proof!

so, the situation we have is: stigma and discrimination exists in our society... somewhere, to someone... but never here... never us... so keep your mouth shut, crank!

and we have a law, to help protect us. and the law is there for us - only we must never attempt to use it and no one will help us if we choose to...

it's a bittersweet paradox. i can see no way forward. of course the 'normals' will assuage their guilt by providing bits of cash to the 'normals' that run organisations for the 'mad' to give them a voice - created by normals, imposed by the normals...

the lunatics must take over the asylum!

Last edited:
R

rasselas

(why do you lose the ability to edit your own posts? I'd like to have changed 'normal' to 'non-diagnosed'!)

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/adSPZX22I3c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/adSPZX22I3c&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

A

Apotheosis

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HitE4anF1fM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HitE4anF1fM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

When I am not at home & on forums, I am very much in general society a lot of the time; & I am all too aware of the general attitudes. I try to not get too bothered by it all. I am grateful to have some friends that have been through similar things, who I can chat with. But many people I see have no idea, & I do get resentful with them. TBH I wish stuff on them; only for the fact that they would then see how very difficult some of these things are. I look into some of the ideas of societal collapse; & frankly I think 'GOOD', when I feel hurt from all this stuff I want society to suffer with things too, given what I have been through & have had to put up with.
I totally agree with all of that.

R

rasselas

I like John Breedings' youtube stuff. When I first encountered him it was fundamental to me and helped encourage me to try again at fighting the system.

He exposes very well how the system's attempts to combat stigma are ultimately doomed to fail: because the psychiatric system itself is the stigmatising force.

It baffles me why, for instance, psychiatry so zealously clings onto the label 'schizophrenia' knowing as they do the immense damage it causes to an individual. I can remember when I first learnt I'd been diagnosed schizophrenic. It was devastating. And it completely changed every subsequent situation I was in, especially when the diagnosis was known. I have never, for instance, been a violent person. But, once I was diagnosed, I was regarded as a 'potentially violent' person, whatever that means. So for the next decade I'd find myself repeatedly feeling the need to reassure people that I wasn't violent. That was, of course, a losing battle. Because even though I had absolutely no record of violence because I was diagnosed with schizophrenia I wasn't 'non-violent', I was always 'potentially violent'. You just can't win sometimes.

I remember once, in an old-style care review, you know, where 'they' sit in a an arc of chairs about 12ft in front of your one chair, and you sit there in front of their panel, and they talk of you amongst themselves in the third person as though you are only some kind of hologram image of your self, and occasionally they'll ask a question, and you have about 6 seconds to answer before they start talking to each other again.

This one occasion, a social worker I think (who I had never met in my entire life before that meeting) said to me, "How do you manage your aggression?"

It threw me for six. All I could whimper back was, "I'm not aggressive."

To which another of the panel replied to the social worker, "Ah, yes, he's managing his aggression very well."

The paradox is, when that kind of thing occurs, you get the uncharacteristic urge to jump up, throw your chair through a window, shout a few obscenities and leave.

Which, sadly, would only then demonstrate that...

Last edited:
gray

gray

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You’re not acting bizarrely so there's nothing wrong with you.
You are behaving bizarrely so you're faking it.

You’re not depressed unless you're trying to kill yourself.
if you are trying to kill yourself you're not really, you're just doing it for attention

You’re a murdering maniac because you're schizophrenic. Obviously having no violent history whatsoever is a useless fact and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly mad.

Having no motivation is a lie, you're just lazy.

I could go on and I'm sure all of you could too, but I'm too tired to care right now and going to bed.
AKA
I'm going to watch Sky+ HD on my 50” HDTV I bought with tax payers money, sit on my arse and live it up whilst sipping champagne.

:rolleyes:

J

jamesdean

Whot a beautiful way of summing it all up gray, hopeyou enjoyed the shampers all the best JD

R

rasselas

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You’re not acting bizarrely so there's nothing wrong with you.
You are behaving bizarrely so you're faking it.

You’re not depressed unless you're trying to kill yourself.
if you are trying to kill yourself you're not really, you're just doing it for attention

You’re a murdering maniac because you're schizophrenic. Obviously having no violent history whatsoever is a useless fact and anyone who thinks otherwise is clearly mad.

Having no motivation is a lie, you're just lazy.

I could go on and I'm sure all of you could too, but I'm too tired to care right now and going to bed.
AKA
I'm going to watch Sky+ HD on my 50” HDTV I bought with tax payers money, sit on my arse and live it up whilst sipping champagne.

:rolleyes:
:clap::clap::clap:(y)(y):LOL: classic!

I

IntrospectionFtw!

I have a feeling ill encounter some soon...ive been quite lucky but i think people are puting 2 @ 2 together, .especially as its getting harder to control my ecentricity which is always the main problem since it draws attention to you. id say its better to keep your mental health problems to yourself because its just better in the long run i made the mistake of playing up to that identity thinking no one would care cause i can style it out but ultimatly people are still just gonna wanna avoid you...and after awhile it can become a problem socially because everyone knows...becomes a self defeating cycle.

any of you tried a drug from the piperazine and azapirone chemical classes, like buspirone or tandospirone It is widely used as an anxiolytic...i was meditating last night and i realised that antipsychotics are too strong and they dissasociate you from yourself...you still have your mad thoughts which is why you remain eccentric because u still skits just u dont react to them you kinda just watch yourself in 3rd person...i dont think you think how you should do on them i could be wrong?...psychosis i think is like separating from your stream of concious you kinda have to train your brain to reject the destructive impulses "the mad thoughts" easy said than done but i do think it is possible...and the reason why antipsychotics become a problem after awhile u become too slow and your psyche gets locked in the mad world and you dont even realise but obviously your so drugged up u dont care...you become a word machine looking in from outside while ur soul dies...could be wrong...

i think it should be treated differently...i think if your in a episode you should go on anti psychotics to control it then after a month or two maybe less,you should taper off and go on to valium at which point you need to train your mind to reject the mad thoughts through meditation and mental disipline...and get used to thinking normal again..stayin in the moment kinda thing and then maybe take a mild non addictive tranquilizer exercise and stuff.
to sustain you

Last edited:
D

diddypinks

ACCOUNT CLOSED
kerry katona.......... what are they doing to that poor girl? the intensity of fame is enough to cope with on its own. stigma in the world of celebrity is very much the same as in real life micheal jackson, before he died i was looking at his dancing i said to my partner the only way he will ever get any credit is if he dies. then it happens then inpore of, he was a genius king of pop amazing artist isms............... it pissed me off. basically he was a strange looking man odd, eccentric an allegation of child molestation demonised him. people already though of him as odd strange so it was more believable to accuse him. can you imagine what it feels like to be worldwilde renown for interfearing with children anyone who looks at micheal jackson can tell he was a sensitive, screwed up man who neede people tyo be his cheering squad. if only they could have said the kind things WHILE HE WAS ALIVE! now his records are back on sale and he is a cash cow once again.

stigma in my opinion is the result of human ignornace and fear they say children are cruel well ADULTS ARE CRUEL TOO. i think the trick is to sate your case calmly and collectively and behave in a way that you are proud of.